Talk

Advanced search

To want to broadcast the video of the birth at my dd's christening?

(245 Posts)
OhCrumbs Mon 05-Oct-09 12:46:02

We tried to have a child for a long time and so when I became pregnant I was thrilled. My husband and I did a kind of video diary charting the pregnancy as it went along and obviously he videoed the birth too, which was a wonderful experience that my husband participated in.

We are to hold my daughter's christening in a few weeks and during the ceremony I'd like the video to be screened as a celebration of all we went through and experienced to get to that day.

But my husband's mother heard about our plans and now his family are threatening to boycott the ceremony, calling me a "freak" and saying it would be distasteful. How can a birth be distasteful?

paisleyleaf Mon 05-Oct-09 12:47:27

Who are your guests?
Is it a lot of friends and family?

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 05-Oct-09 12:48:16

Seriously? I think you are slightly potty. I wouldn't want to share my privates with the world. This can't be a real post can it?

Tryharder Mon 05-Oct-09 12:48:23

hmm

Do you really have to ask?

Is this for real?!?

starwhores Mon 05-Oct-09 12:48:50

Well, you must remember her birth is only exceedingly special to you and your dh. I think it sounds very indulgent and I wouldn't want to watch anybody else's birth, birth story or so on. It is as boring as peering through piles of someone else's holiday snaps.
YABU

sazlocks Mon 05-Oct-09 12:49:37

Congrats.
I don't think birth is distasteful but I am not sure its the right place to broadcast something so intimate.
We have a similar birth diary thing and were also thrilled to be pregnant after a while of trying, treatment etc but TBH its for my and DH and I feel no need to share it with anyone else.

claricebeansmum Mon 05-Oct-09 12:49:43

I think this sounds like an excellent idea. But only if you have complete history - do you have conception taped? And full sound?

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 05-Oct-09 12:49:45

1/10

twirlymum Mon 05-Oct-09 12:49:51

I can imagine my mums face if I had suggested such a thing.

thedollshouse Mon 05-Oct-09 12:50:14

Nobody else will want to see it. It is between you and your husband and for your child to see when they are older. You can make a speech detailing your journey. It isn't really appropriate for a wider audience unless they have asked to see it.

notyummy Mon 05-Oct-09 12:50:23

Depends on how graphic it is TBH. I get your point - bringing a baby into the world is a marvellous thing....but the fact remains that there are some people who find it difficult to witness. There are partners of mums on this website who opted not to be in the delivery room, so this view is obviously still reasonably prevelant.

On pure vanity grounds I would not want anyone who didn't have to witness the scared bug eyed, red faced monster I became....or the huge pair of forceps involved, which would probably put off any witnesses ever procreating.....

PVish Mon 05-Oct-09 12:50:48

freak

Ladyatron Mon 05-Oct-09 12:51:04

lol

petitmaman Mon 05-Oct-09 12:51:14

I can see why you might want to but think it might be a bit uncomfortable for a lot of the guests. also are you sure that none of the guests are trying at the moment? might be upsetting for them? why don't you write down some words or a poem about your experiences and read them out at the service?

mangostickyrice Mon 05-Oct-09 12:51:15

<gets popcorn>

scroobiuspirate Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:05

yes yabu

will it be in widescreen?

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:06

I think photos on the wall is fine but a long video featuring 9 months is a bit look at me and pftm-ish.

crazylizzy Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:06

Personally I think it's a little inappropriate, especially for a Christening. I agree with kreecherlivesupstairs, I wouldn't want to broadcast my fanjo or my birth face to the world as much as I'd not want to inflict it on the guests.

Congratulations on becoming a parent though, and MIL calling you a freak is not on.

bran Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:09

I'm sorry, but I just sniggered at the title. grin

I'm thrilled for you that you had a wonderful birth, but I'm afraid that other people's birth videos are as naff and dull as other people's holiday or wedding videos, only with extra gory bits. It's just not as interesting to everyone else as it is to you. It was rude of your MIL to call you names, but I have to admit that I would find myself with a previous engagement if I heard I would have to watch something like that.

Bleh Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:32

It isn't really conducive to good small talk, is it? Imagine, you're standing there, trying to have your tea and sandwiches and talk about the weather, while in the background you have video of someone's fanjo flashing about and lots of screaming.

sayanything Mon 05-Oct-09 12:52:40

Ha ha ha ha. Very funny.

jobhuntersrus Mon 05-Oct-09 12:53:08

Not that I would ever want my births filmed but if i did have those sort of videos I wold only show them to anyone who actually asked to watch them like maybe my mum. I would not want it on general show. As a guest I would feel really uncomfortable watching such a private moment.

scroobiuspirate Mon 05-Oct-09 12:53:39

is imagining baby crowning image superimposed on virgin mary's head.

where IS the ceremony btw?

serenity Mon 05-Oct-09 12:53:41

No.

OhCrumbs Mon 05-Oct-09 12:55:57

It really isn't that graphic, my husband was very discreet with his videoing and shot the baby coming out over my head, so you just get to see her head come out from between my legs, you don't get to see my feathery bits.

We think the video very tasteful as most of it is about the pregnancy, including some very arty stills of me naked (but with my bits covered).

We want to celebrate her life in style and want to share these special moments with our family and friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now