Talk

Advanced search

going away and getting married on my birthday?

(15 Posts)
pippylongstockings Sun 04-Oct-09 19:35:23

My DP and I have been together for 19 years we got together on my 21st birthday. This year is my 40th and we thought we would go away for the weekend and get married on my birthday. I am very excited as I have wanted to get married since we had our children and I think it is a lovely romantic idea. It will be very low key just us, a couple of nights in a hotel and then back to the family. We really don't want a fuss. We are keeping it a secret until we come back.

BUT I am worried about it being my birthday and what the family will say.

AIBU?

tadjennyp Sun 04-Oct-09 19:46:51

No, what's to stop you having a party when you get back?

AngelaCarleen Sun 04-Oct-09 19:58:44

My aunt did this, she doesn't have kids though. Her and her DH went to gretna green for a weekend, took just 2/3 pics and grabbed the couple who were going next to be witnesses. Not how I'd like to do it, but it worked for them. no-one in the family said anything, it's got nothing to do with them, it's about you.

Congrats by the way smile

tillykins Sun 04-Oct-09 20:01:20

go for it! Take lots of photos and have a party when you get back

Is there someone specific in your family who might object?

groundhogs Sun 04-Oct-09 20:19:58

Hell yeah! Go for it, and congratulations in advance!!

grin

pranma Sun 04-Oct-09 21:26:19

my dd got married on her 31st birthday and it was wonderful.I organised a 3 tier chocolate cake with 10candles an each tier and one on top centre and instead of cutting cake for pics she and her dh blew out candles.Nothing wrong with marrying on your birthday.
Now-going away to do it.....sure you want to?Then go for it.Those who care about you will just want your happiness.A word of caution-do you have a mum?Have you discussed it with her?Will she be able to be there.Remember the wedding is a day its the marriage that is for always so avoid bad feeling at the start if you can.
Many Congratulations-may you have a wonderful future.

busybutterfly Sun 04-Oct-09 23:20:17

Congratulations! Can't think of a better birthday present for you! YANBU, not in the slightest x

pippylongstockings Mon 05-Oct-09 21:05:52

Thanks for the positive messages. I do worry that dispite being together for 19 years there might be some jinx on getting married on my birthday - but my nan married on her birthday and it lasted 61 years, until she passed away last year on her birthday of all days! So it just kind of feels a nice thing to do.

I think my mum will be happy but kind of hmmmm. It's more the extended family of sisters, aunties etc that have an opinion. Plus friends.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Mon 05-Oct-09 21:09:06

Go for it pippy. If that's what you want to do, why not ??!!

LoveMyGirls Mon 05-Oct-09 21:15:02

I say go for it!

giddykipper Mon 05-Oct-09 21:18:20

Do it, definitely.

We did it this summer after a decade(ish) together, planned it 3 weeks in advance. Very low key, register office in Cornwall with my parents and the kids, we had one night in a hotel (my parents had the kids), it was really lovely.

We told people when we got back, no one took it badly.

Morosky Mon 05-Oct-09 21:24:24

I am so jealous, I would love nothing more than to nip away and get married but dp wants a wedding day.

Are you expecting someone to be upset?

pippylongstockings Mon 05-Oct-09 21:30:49

Mostly my sister actually - she is married for a 2nd time to a staunch catholic and is v.big on ceromonies.For example she doesn't understand why we never got our children christened, and so I know she will be upset which will fuel any disapointment my mum has in not being there.

Plus feeling the social pressure of the remaining grand-parents who would love a do!

TrillianSlasher Mon 05-Oct-09 21:31:32

YABU - you will only get one lot of cards/presents/meals out: you should get to do stuff on your wedding anniversary and your birthday! grin

WidowWadman Mon 05-Oct-09 21:35:18

I think it's a lovely idea (and sounds much less stressful than having a big do)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now