Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think if you don't like children.....

(24 Posts)
dilemma456 Sat 03-Oct-09 21:25:04

Message withdrawn

Milliways Sat 03-Oct-09 21:26:47

YANBU! (Unless she didn't choose her seat but was seated?).

Silly moo! (Not you - her.) grin

spongebrainmaternitypants Sat 03-Oct-09 21:28:07

Miserable old cow sad.

The English don't like children I'm afraid - unless they're seen and not heard! grin

bluejeans Sat 03-Oct-09 21:29:29

Poor you! I think you would be able to judge yourself if the children had been badly behaved - she sounds a silly cow

What did you reply?

stonethecrows Sat 03-Oct-09 21:29:37

YANBU!!

Did you tell her where to stick it??

Georgimama Sat 03-Oct-09 21:34:38

Where you by any chance having lunch at the same place as the woman on this thread?

If so, please, please, I beg you, have a massive on line row about it to amuse us all.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Sat 03-Oct-09 21:36:08

Have you ever seen the Viz character Meddlesome Ratbag? She sounds just like her.

dilemma456 Sat 03-Oct-09 21:39:50

Message withdrawn

isittooearlyforgin Sat 03-Oct-09 21:40:58

think taking dcs under age of 5 out for meal the height of bravery and all concerned derserve a medal as long as everyone comes back alive! Well done you!

dilemma456 Sat 03-Oct-09 21:41:14

Message withdrawn

valhala Sat 03-Oct-09 21:41:59

YANBU. Your DC behaved, the woman is foolish. I can't abide badly behaved children in restaurants/cafes etc, so I make a point of going only to ones which cater for adults alone if I'm not with my own children. That way I have nothing to moan about!

If, when mine were small, I did go to a place where children are welcome I tended to avoid the small children's play area and would move/ask to be moved if children at the adjacent table were running around/shrieking. Again, that way I have nothing to moan about!

As the saying goes, if you move next to the slaughterhouse, don't complain when the pigs squeal.

TrillianSlasher Sat 03-Oct-09 21:43:14

"There were plenty of free seats as well so she didn't have to sit by the children's shelves"

In that case YANBU.

TheCrackFox Sat 03-Oct-09 21:50:41

Some people are never happier when they are being miserable.

YANBU

Quattrocento Sat 03-Oct-09 21:56:00

Your view is that "tthey were being pretty good". Her view was different. So clearly they must have been behaving in a way that disturbed her. Most English people sit and simmer in silence, so the fact that she actually mentioned it means that there was some considerable disruption.

What was your response to the complaint, by the way?

Pyrocanthus Sat 03-Oct-09 21:58:03

We once took our aged 2-ish DD into a big, rather unattractive pub, as we needed to eat, it was convenient and had a family room (big sign outside pub and on door to room). The family room was empty when we arrived except for a couple, who glared furiously at our daughter as she wondered round the room pointing at the pictures on the wall and clucking quietly to herself while we waited to be served.

There was plenty of space in the rest of the pub, but it was a bit busier and noisier. They must have chosen the family room for the peace and quiet...

scottishmummy Sat 03-Oct-09 22:03:01

if she sits in designated child area expect children.

yanbu

2shoes Sat 03-Oct-09 22:04:26

yanbu

StableButDeluded Sat 03-Oct-09 22:36:01

yanbu

cupcakesinthesnow Sat 03-Oct-09 22:42:48

YANBU

A few years ago I took my ds's then aged about 4 and 6 to the christmas panto for the matinee performance. As we took our seats in the middle of a row, the old ladies we had to sir down next to glared at ds's and looked extremely peed off! Everytime one of the ds's laughed or called out (as is the way with panto's, non?) the old bags glared at us even more At half time we went to get ice cream and returnin gto our seats old bags tutted as we squeezed past their thick stockinging legs. By this point I had had enough and as we sat down I leant over to these horrid women and smiled 'This IS a pantomine you know and egnerally speaking such things are aimed at children so may I request you stop your tutting and glared at my children or I shall be forced to report your behaviour to management!' That shut them up for the second half.

kitkatqueen Sat 03-Oct-09 22:58:33

cupcake, Bravo, bloody good on yer! grin

Hando Sun 04-Oct-09 01:43:33

YANBU OP.

My friend and I were in town a few years back when our dc were about 3. We went for lunch in the only pub that had "family area with kids welcome" in the whole town. All the other pubs didn't allow children.

We sat out the back in the "family area". We were waiting quite a while and the 2 dc got a bit whiney as they do. My friends dd cried and we calmed her down.

A man sitting opposite us (old couple in the family area, no kids) shouted over "your child is spoiling my lunch, you NEED to make her be quiet". My friend is very shy and just blushed so I said back "sorry this one doesn't have an off switch". He then started moaning saying pubs (family pub at 1pm btw) were not for children and shouting "get that child out, off to the playground, out out out!" he was going nuts! So the manager came over and he said "I want that child removed, now!" "get that child away from this pub, they are spoiling my lunch" to which she told him he was sat in the family area and children do cry sometimes.

By now I was sick of his shouting which was making the dc and my friend really upset. So I went over and told him he was a miserable old bastard and to fuck right off. Then sat back down. He shut up after that. As they got up to leave his wife came over and apologised for her husbands behaviour and said she knew how is was to have young children. I told her that she was just as bad as him for sitting there not saying anything and should be ashamed of herself for listening to her husband intimidate two young mothers with their small children.

Hando Sun 04-Oct-09 01:47:22

Quattro. I think if the woman had a problem she should have said at the time, not after her meal. OP has said she was watching the kids and they were doing normal kids stuff; chatting, laughing, getting toys etc. All the sorts of things that some miserable people who forget what it was like to be a child themselves hate seeing and hearing.

I am English and I'm ashamed of the general view n this country that children should be seen and not heard, or preferably not seen and not heard!

It is harder to find somewhere to have a meal / night out with your family and children here than in any other country I have been to. Children are generally not welcome in most places.

valhala Sun 04-Oct-09 01:52:55

I used to live in a town which had a pub with a family restaurant area, a playground AND a children's room, run by nursery nurses, where for a pound or two children could play in safety whilst their parents had a drink and/or a meal. A wonderful idea and somewhere my friends and I visited often.

Sadly it changed hands and the new owners dispensed with these facilities. I've yet to find another place like it though I'm sure that there is a market for such venues.

FerretInYourTrews Sun 04-Oct-09 20:05:09

The worst one is on flights, there's no getting away from the moaners then. I had be 18mo sitting on my lap (we had only just boarded the plane) and she started shouting at me to control my child because "you're child just punched me in the breast" He actually didn't he was just leaning forward to pick up a book he'd dropped. This was the culmination of 5 minutes of huffing and tense looks at me as soon as she got in. I was already tense so when she said that I just lost it. It's not my fault she chose a cut price airline and she was placed next to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now