Talk

Advanced search

to put the wet washing in the tumble dryer?

(37 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:17:32

DP thinks I am.

I do use the washing line all summer long, or if not I put it in the conservatory on an airer where it dries lovely.

But at this time of year, it just doesn't dry properly that way. So I've been putting it in the tumble dryer.

DP worries about the amount of energy it uses. Anyone know if it's lots and lots???

And I argue that I have much less ironing to do if I use dryer, as I can mostly put things straight away. So I'm saving energy on ironing aren't I? wink

Am I being so very unreasonable?????

vinblanc Sat 03-Oct-09 11:19:12

The idea of a dryer is to put wet clothes into it.

Waswondering Sat 03-Oct-09 11:19:59

I've just hung out all the big things on the line (glorious here but blowing a hooley!) and the smalls are in the TD and will be dry within 30 mins on the quick setting.

So - a compromise?

TDs do eat up electricity!

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:20:46

grin Hooray - the easiest IABU thread of all time!!

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:21:42

Do you know how much elec they use waswondering? I can't find out online...

diedandgonetodevon Sat 03-Oct-09 11:24:30

Surely that's the point of having a tumble drier?!? YANBU obviously.

Treeesa Sat 03-Oct-09 11:24:46

I use the washing line until November or even December if it's nice.. Working nights I can't sleep if I can hear the constant turning of the drum and the beeping when the filter is blocked etc. Our au pair may think I'm a little victorian for getting her to do the same as she does a lot of the ironing but she accepts it with good grace :-)

borderslass Sat 03-Oct-09 11:24:53

I do use the dryer for towels and sheets in bad weather I just check the electric meter we have a pre pay meter before use don't usually use much up

groundhogs Sat 03-Oct-09 11:27:46

Erm, if you don't think the stuff will dry - and the weather this time of year is predictably unreliable LOL - then YANBU.

God I hate it when people who don't actually lift a finger to actually do the flaming washing start having an opinion on it... but your DP may be one of those that does get things done, so I'll defer to your judgement on that... grin

Power used tumble drying IS considerable, it will add to electric bills, but what would he rather... it draped all over the house?

If he's anything like my mums DH, he'd moan about the drier, AND moan about the washing not being ready and dry for him to use, it not being ironed fast enough...

Mind you, you could compromise, if you feel so inclined... You can hang stuff out till it's pretty much dry, but not quite, then iron it until it's dried. it actually irons better slightly damp anyway, self steams!

I don't have a tumble dryer here, so have put my sheets out today, cos it's blowing a gale... they should dry ok... hmm

All the rest is on airers though.

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:28:07

You see, the dryer is about 11 years old, we got it when DP was a lot more chilled out about life wink but now he's all green, green save energy about everything. I reckon if it broke or anything now, he'd insist we didn't replace it!!

If he does, I should add he will be sorting all the washing not me..

Parmageddon Sat 03-Oct-09 11:28:57

According to the Which website, if you used your tumble drier 5 times a week and it was an averagely energy efficient type, it would cost you about £50 per year in electricity.

Why have you bought a tumble drier if dp doesn't want to use it?! That has cost more than the cost of the energy!

Use it when you have to. Life's too short!

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:30:56

£50 ?? Bloody bargain!! Seen my previous post for answer to that question Parmageddon

Parmageddon Sat 03-Oct-09 11:31:23

Ah, didn't realise it was 11 years old! We don't have one as the washing dries fine in the house on clothes airers, used to have a washer drier which was useless, so have never bothered since.

famishedass Sat 03-Oct-09 11:32:22

YANBU - it's easy to say "don't use the tumble dryer" when you're not the one actually doing the laundry ffs.

Tell him not to use his car to get to work, coz that's much more environmentally unfriendly than a tumble dryer. Perhaps he can take public transport instead wink

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:34:46

grin have said all that and more famished....

BTW, he's gone out (in car) on a job now.... so the dryer is on. Shhh.

ceres Sat 03-Oct-09 11:34:58

my tumble dryer is getting on a bit too and i have noticed it takes much longer now to dry clothes - even though my washing machine has a 1600 spin cycle.

if i'm being organised i tend to use a clothes horse and have the dehumidifier on then when things are practically dry i give them a 10 minute tumble - as you say it helps to reduce ironing time, and it also helps get the dog hairs off everything!

however if i'm a bit behind with the washing then i just bung it straight in the dryer.

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:36:24

It is an A rated dryer too. Well A rated 11 years ago... not sure if that will be really bad now???

ThePhantomPumpkin Sat 03-Oct-09 11:41:31

Mine is an old one too, not 11 years I don't think, but still pretty old.

I tumble dry everything from about October until March, I never really notice a increase in my bills TBH, a couple of quid of a month if that.

famishedass Sat 03-Oct-09 11:43:34

So when you say your dp has gone all green and environmentally friendly, has he actually done anything to reduce his carbon footprint? Or is he one of those people that want everyone else to reduce their carbon footprint just so that he can make sure there will always be enough left for him. angry

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Oct-09 11:55:30

Ooh steady on famished, he's not that bad. grin

He has got quite a small one (carbon footprint that is) as he works from home, cycles a lot. He's not fanatical about being green, it's more that he hates wasting money/energy if I'm honest.

Undercovamutha Sat 03-Oct-09 12:43:45

I am terrible and use my TD loads - often when its sunny/windy blush! I put the towels and bedding on the line but just can't bear spending half an hour pegging out (and unpegging!) lots of tiny socks and vests. Also, we have a very steep garden, so until fairly recently I haven't been able to take DD (3) out with me whilst I peg, and haven't wanted to leave her in the house with baby DS. Well, thats my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking with it grin!

Paramageddon - you have made me feel much better now I know it will only cost £50ish. What a bargain - well worth it (although not sure DH would agree - it took me ages to get him to agree to having one in the first place!).

HKT Sat 03-Oct-09 12:53:35

Agree, YANBU -£50 is a bargain!
We got a TD when the clothes on the airers took over the house, and still took days to dry, and then smelt by the time they were dry.

sarah293 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:56:49

Message withdrawn

PootleTheFlump Sat 03-Oct-09 13:01:47

Yanbu - def think there is a saving in doing less ironing. We have only very recently purchased a TD, and so am not fully converted and have been drying things on line/airer outside as much as poss, then whizzing them through TD for the finish and it works a treat. I cannot imagine it uses much that electricity, esp if you take the ironing out of it!

Buda Sat 03-Oct-09 13:09:14

Just tell him you feel guilty about using it!

We have one and I DO feel guilty about using it. I love seeing my washing hanging outside and with the climate here in Budapest I can pretty much guarantee outdoor drying from April til November. There are then a few weeks at either end of that when I need to use the dryer as it may be too damp outside but the boiler isn't yet on so the washing takes forever to dry in the boiler room. Generally in the winter I dry down in out boiler room.

DH was a bit hmm when I wanted dryer but because he knows I do feel guilty about using it he doesn't moan. Mind you I am the one who goes around the house switching lights off after him and I am the one who recycles so I don;t think he has a green conscience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now