Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what daily paper is acceptable to read per mumsnet.

(19 Posts)
abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 22:38:28

So what is the acceptable daily? Can we not be credited to sifted through the crap if we happen to look at the unmentionable.

Just wondering what others read?

VicarInaBooTu Fri 02-Oct-09 22:51:01

if and when i get a paper it is the Guadian im afraid....liberal and boring - (thats me!)

secretly im in love with Charlie Brooker...

MortBlackCatResident Fri 02-Oct-09 22:54:26

None! They are all too full of opinions and not enough news. They are also out of date by the time they are printed.

t'internet is much better.

Wineonafridaynight Fri 02-Oct-09 22:55:09

Well for my job I have to read a paper each day and I usually read either the Independent or Guardian (I prefer Guardian), but would probably chose Times if someone else hadn't nabbed it before I started my job!

I read the DM on my lunch break online though!

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 22:55:11

lol, I knew it.

Remember the defunked Independent, It got cancelled due to sittingonthefence lack of interest.

busybutterfly Fri 02-Oct-09 22:55:25

Read what you like. You're not accountable to anyone. smile

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 22:59:06

DM at least has the stars. Sorry, of course I read the Independent, now and again. Once a year when I cannot get on the laptop. I was thinking about 'Today'.

Gosh I am out of loop with newspapers.

scottishmummy Fri 02-Oct-09 22:59:59

don't give a flying fuck what mn orthodoxy is
i have free will don't need external approbation of what paper to read

chickbean Fri 02-Oct-09 23:03:49

Hope this is not too cheeky, but if anyone has yesterday's Independent would you be prepared to post me a photo from it? My friend, Ben Watkins, has just had a credited photo printed in it but I didn't find out in time to buy it. Tried Freecycle but I think everyone in my town reads the Telegraph.

TeamCullenAllTheWay Fri 02-Oct-09 23:13:25

I read the DM every day, then sit and moan about it. But I know I'll be buying it tomorrow

MorrisZapp Fri 02-Oct-09 23:19:55

Read what you want ffs! It's a sad day when you have to ask strangers what paper you should read.

I'm strictly a Guardian/ Indie girl but I also like my local paper so I can see all my old schoolmates looking rough outside the sheriff court, and read the latest rants about the trams.

winnybella Fri 02-Oct-09 23:23:11

Guardian online.
Just because I like them. Who gives a fuck about what's acceptable?

Prunerz Fri 02-Oct-09 23:23:29

Read widely online (via Google news) and make up your own mind about a story.

Different correspondents on different newspapers are worth searching out.

MookySpinge Fri 02-Oct-09 23:27:09

I HATE the Guardian - used to have the Times every day but it got so bland and pointless and then they changed the font and it was the last straw

now I just buy magazines

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 23:30:33

tbh, I would never buy a paper they are all comics in there own way. I just check the TV news now and again and get my daily news from mumsnet.

MorrisZapp Fri 02-Oct-09 23:33:49

Newspapers should never change font! Or drop the cartoons.

Seriously, I flicked through a Marie Claire in the station and was appalled at their new 'look' - they have gone so downmarket.

I remember when MC used to have proper reportage as well as 'man of the month' and fab features.

Now it's just a thicker version of Closer. ffs.

halfcut Fri 02-Oct-09 23:36:42

I just read the Metro ..and the local evening rag ..to see if anyone I know has been nicked

MookySpinge Fri 02-Oct-09 23:36:51

I haven't seen a proper women's magazine for aeons, it's all Practical Poultry and Land Rover Owner International (and Land Rover Monthly) and Country Smallholding and various horse ones blush

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 23:53:26

I sometimes read them in the doctors waiting room and am appauld that anyone will spend their money on this tripe.

Either I'm getting old or worse very snobby in my old age.

I did pick up 'Women' once or twice from friends but at least they were real people (often sceptical about their perfect lives) but nicer reading about normal people than the ones who spend your annual income on the latest handbag. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now