Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why everyone seems to have a downer on the Daily Mail?

(48 Posts)
chaostrulyreigns Fri 02-Oct-09 21:52:38

am new to MN and reading thru many threads being a DM reader seems to be a Very Bad Thing?

Just wondering.

(ps Times for me)(but only since it's shrunk!)

Wineonafridaynight Fri 02-Oct-09 22:04:03

It has a bit of a reputation for being a very narrow minded paper. I do however read it online on my lunch hour! I find a lot of what is written is filled with outrage about one thing or another and i don't agree with the things they are outraged about! However I do find it an entertaining read although enfuriating at the same time!

I find the responses people put under the article shocking and really awful at times! I reported one comment last week for being racist.

TheFoosa Fri 02-Oct-09 22:04:11

well, I read it it but don't tell anyone

only online though

TheFoosa Fri 02-Oct-09 22:05:08

the comments are the best bit, you can vent your fury by red-arrowing them

MillyR Fri 02-Oct-09 22:08:00

I think it invents problems that don't exist, and then blames certain groups for them. It creates, celebrates, and encourages mean-spiritedness.

piscesmoon Fri 02-Oct-09 22:08:36

I read it when I see my mother-it always amazes me-if I believed the half of it I think I would emigrate!

GhostWriter Fri 02-Oct-09 22:08:56

Do you want one reason or many?

It does not like:

Women
Immigrants
Benefits
Fat people
Thin people
The police
Gordon Brown
Teenage mothers
Unmarried mothers
Older mothers

To name but a few.

It's ill informed, poorly researched, biased, rude, racist, misogynistic, homophobic drivel.

In. My. Humble. Opinion.

Other newspapers are vile too btw.

Pikelit Fri 02-Oct-09 22:10:12

And it supported Franco in the Spanish Civil War.

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 22:11:49

Because it's for narrow minded, non thinking, tory voters.

However, I have noticed a sinister theme about the hatred for the DM recently. As in if it's in the DM it's sensationalist press even though it's reported in every other paper and newschannel in a similar way.

Just one of many narrow minded mumsnet stereotypical views.

You read what you want and don't be influenced by what you read on here.

theyoungvisiter Fri 02-Oct-09 22:12:04

What ghostwriter said.

For a longer explanation of why you shouldn't support them, read Nick Davies' Flat Earth News.

theyoungvisiter Fri 02-Oct-09 22:13:54

don't forget Working Mothers for the list of hate.

Second only to Non-working Fathers as the cause of society's evils, apparently hmm

Wineonafridaynight Fri 02-Oct-09 22:16:57

haha Foosa! I do that. I get frustrated that it won't let me click the red arrow more than once...or when I click green by mistake!

Golda Fri 02-Oct-09 22:17:54

What GhostWriter said plus their overuse of underlining and brackets in headlines.

theyoungvisiter Fri 02-Oct-09 22:20:00

Don't forget there is a certain type of mumsnetter person who competes for the maximum number of red arrows they can achieve in the Mail comments section grin.

There was a "xesmub" posting the other week who was certainly not unacquainted with MN...

neenz Fri 02-Oct-09 22:21:30

What ghostwriter said.

And also because they publish stories that - when you get to the bottom of it - are just not true.

Like the other week when they had the headline "Branded a racist - a 9yo boy who told a Polish friend 'let's go and shoot Germans'"

The whole article was about how outrageous it was that this 9yo had been called a racist by his headteacher when 'he doesn't even know what racism means'

Right at the end of the article was a quote from the school which said: We did not call little Johnny a racist, it was simply pointed out to him that certain language is unacceptable.'

hmm Well that was a good page lead story then hmm

And because they let Littlejohn spout his nonsense.

hf128219 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:23:52

Challenge. Compate it to them Thimes.

Ivykaty44 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:27:09

take a look at the book flat earth news to get a run down on how the DM operate, although all newspaers get a doing over the dm gets a whole chapter about editor and views on what the public want to read.

abouteve Fri 02-Oct-09 22:30:35

Ok some of it is shit journalism, but we can sniff this out.

The fact that a major percentage of the UK population reads the 'Sun' of course probably 0.005 percent of the mumsnet quota, then a few DM readers are tolerated.

Can I start a thread on the proper daily to read to be accepted here.

CrankOfTheScrew Fri 02-Oct-09 22:30:48

FIL said to me yesterday "she probably had trplets for the benefits"! hmm
and "do you have any English babies born at your unit?"hmm
Even he admits the DM has made him spout such twaddle.

They print people's house prices, ages and hair colour, (if female) after their names.

The DM can be summed up thus; " Working Mother Immigrants Cause Cancer"!

IMHO, of course.

Ivykaty44 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:34:32

well the telegraph dont pay for market research anymore - they use the mums net polls hmm so......

Ivykaty44 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:36:22

here

neenz Fri 02-Oct-09 22:38:41

The Daily Express is worse - at least the DM invests in journalism (even if their agenda is twisted)

But luckily no one reads the Express grin

Ivykaty44 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:46:54

What do you mean that the dm invest in journalism?

They buy there stories like all the papers from the same source and what they dont buy they have been known to write themselves

trickerg Fri 02-Oct-09 22:48:00

Adding to the DM hate list:

BBC
civil servants
any new immunisation programme
'nu-labour'
NHS
hoodies
metric measurement
EU

chaostrulyreigns Fri 02-Oct-09 22:51:33

think it's all a bit clearer now!

from what i've read in it it seems to report what every other paper reports but tries to incite people to be flabbergasted about where society is going.

one of my friends mentioned it has a mumsnet guestspot now.

have noticed bit about house values too. not sure what that adds to a report.

hf128219 not sure what you are saying (is it cos i is new?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now