Talk

Advanced search

to not want a promotion?

(7 Posts)
Undercovamutha Fri 02-Oct-09 15:54:57

It looks like I may be in line for a promotion (potentially my boss's job) when I return to work after my maternity leave. Trouble is, I don't know if I want one? I have already been stressing about how I am going to manage getting the children to school and nursery once I am back in work, and extra responsibility will just make things even more stressful. However, the other option is that I turn down the promotion, someone else gets it, and I potentially lose a quite cushy situation as my current boss lets me have a lot of autonomy and flexibility. I work part-time, and he has been very accommodating of changes in hours etc.
AIBU to turn down the promotion?

Lifeistooshort Fri 02-Oct-09 16:03:56

you will manage. Take it. Do you know that saying "if you want something done, ask a busy woman". You will be fine

pjmama Fri 02-Oct-09 16:06:43

If it's a job that you would have jumped at before you had children, then you should give it a go. If it doesn't work out, then re-think it then but it would be a shame to miss out based on what might happen. You may well surprise yourself wink

Chickenshavenolips Fri 02-Oct-09 16:09:55

I agree with the above. Give it a go. If it does prove too much, you can find a solution. Better to try than not.

JemL Fri 02-Oct-09 16:11:57

Take it. There will be ways to make it work, and it sounds as if your boss is really accomodating. I know what you mean though - I was covering for my manager before she went on leave - the week I was going on my own maternity leave, she announced she wasn't coming back and so her job will be mine when I return next year. I know that there will be more to juggle with 2 DC's, but the fact that they still want me to have the job, knowing I am off, etc, is hugely encouraging.

Even if you don't take this job, presumably you will still be working, so the logistics will be the same - and the senior position may give you even more flexibility.

Undercovamutha Fri 02-Oct-09 16:16:00

JemL - you seem to be in a very similar position to me. One of the main issues is, I will be replacing my boss, and he will be moving to a completely different branch of the business. So I will effectively be going it alone. I suppose it isn't just the childcare logistics - I think I've got the kind of 'baby-brain', 'will I ever be able to operate in a world of adults again', kind of panic!!!

Undercovamutha Fri 02-Oct-09 16:17:23

BTW, thanks everyone for being so positive and encouraging! It is nice to get an unbiased view as DH will probably just say 'well done - and great now we'll have more money!'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now