Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wince at the outfits DH dresses DD in?!

(26 Posts)
PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 02-Oct-09 15:03:32

He texted me a pic to show what a nice time they were having yesterday, but all I could think was 'Purple top, blue and yellow trousers and green socks??!'

He doesn't wear bizarre combinations himself, so why take it out on poor DD?

I know, I know, she's comfy, she doesn't care, yadda yadda

Lizzylou Fri 02-Oct-09 15:04:39

DH is the same with our boys, he dresses himself OK, but seems to develop a lack of style/colour blindness with them.

shootfromthehip Fri 02-Oct-09 15:05:54

My DD always looks a disaster when DH dresses her or lets her choose her own clothes. But really, who cares?

YABU.

ThePrettiestStar Fri 02-Oct-09 15:06:35

I know the feeling. When my DH dresses the kids I have to stop myself doing it again.

I grit my teeth and appreciate the fact that he actually dressed them!

I wouldn't mind but most of their clothes are in the drawers next to each other in outfits....

I just don't ask.

NaughtyAlice Fri 02-Oct-09 15:06:58

I'm just grateful if DH manages to get the clothes the right way round

ThePrettiestStar Fri 02-Oct-09 15:07:13

Oops - YABU!

Elk Fri 02-Oct-09 15:09:04

My dd's have both chosen their own clothes from about 18 months old. The combinations are often wrong, colours clash, summer dresses with woollen tights but they are happy and proud of themselves so I just walk 3 steps behind at all times.

dooneygirl Fri 02-Oct-09 15:12:16

YANBU at all if all you do is wince. I do an inward large sigh and imaginary eye roll every time DH dresses DD and have to remind myself to be happy that he dressed her, and then hope we don't have to go out in public that day.

esselle Fri 02-Oct-09 15:14:31

Someone needs to make some 'My Daddy dressed me' badges for our DC's to wear.

My DH will find the clothes which the DC's have outgrown and squeeze them on or pile loads of layers on when it is warm and shorts and t shirts when it is cold.

It drives me crazy as he can dress himself correctly and co-ordinate...

I just ignore!

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 02-Oct-09 15:17:57

well I did reply along the lines of 'omfg what have you dressed her in'. But I'm sure he knows I was joking.
He does try to get me to pick the clothes before I go out (it was my day in the office / his day off) but I was all 'no, no, pick what you want'..

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 15:19:08

I was about to suggest stickers

I have tried reasoning, with the inevitable results:
MrsB: But DH you wouldn;t wear a pink and green top with yellow trousers - wouldn;t you have chosen the green ones that match?
MrB: I wouldn;t have worn a pink and green top...

actually he has recently caught on to the fact that dresses are much easier as there is no matching involved, so DD is ofetn seen grubbing in the sandpit in the gorgeous smocked items from MIL. Still, at least they are getting worn...

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 02-Oct-09 15:26:16

stickers / badges are a good idea, but perhaps they are just stating the obvious!

I have put the offending picture in my profile if you feel like a quick judge

Pingpong Fri 02-Oct-09 15:26:20

my DH is just as bad. I usually leave stuff out for him as it's easier. MIL is just as bad though, again I usually leave stuff out for her but she did an overnight baby sitting stint for us and when I came home DD was wearing pj bottoms under a summer dress with a long sleeved vest and white cardigan on top. It was July!

Pikelit Fri 02-Oct-09 15:26:53

I worked on the basis that if you allow the dcs a choose from the outset, by the time it might matter, they've turned into surprisingly stylish dressers. I realise that "style" is very much an individual interpretation but the theory has mainly worked.

As least the child isn't wearing nappies made from tea towels.
blush

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 02-Oct-09 15:28:29

smac

shootfromthehip Fri 02-Oct-09 15:34:35

POTHG- very cute photo and the outfit is a disaster but does not take away from the loveliness of your LO grin

babybarrister Fri 02-Oct-09 15:38:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pingviner Fri 02-Oct-09 16:19:05

Not well at the moment so DP has been doing a lot of childcare.

I watched unspeakingly this morning as DP dressed DS in a lovely little red and beige striped top, some dark brown trousers, and bright green socks. I did ask- Green socks? to which he looked offended and told me the trousers were green too and the socks were matching them hmm

The trousers were nowhere near green, but I felt too unwell to argue. Have spent all day wondering whether DP is colourblind or just stupid....

HappyInTheCity Fri 02-Oct-09 16:30:51

I had to tell my DH - plain top, patterned bottoms OR patterned top, plain bottoms!! Was worried about people's eye sight. Still was a bit hit and miss though grin

girlsyearapart Fri 02-Oct-09 16:38:05

YANBU- argh DH is colour blind and I have been laying the dds clothes out the night before so I don't have to endure the pain of seeing them in the outfits he chooses..

But still the other day I put clothes in a bag for him to dress them in as he was taking them to a party and when I turned up to meet them there he'd put the wrong outfits on them...

Dd1 wearing dd2s dress which showed off her knickers each time she moved.

Dd2 wearing dd1s skirt which was falling down.

cheerfulapple Fri 02-Oct-09 16:40:43

my DH doesn't have a clue either! Even squeezes her into things that don't fit or puts pyjama bottoms on her thinking they're trousers! He genuinely thinks she looks ok hmm

katiestar Fri 02-Oct-09 16:42:39

My DH got tell tghe difference between leggings and tights and used to take DD out in just tights and top.
I have a childhhod memorie of my Dad dressing me (I was aboyt 2.5 or 3) and putting both of my legs down the same kniicker leg and then being cross with me for not walking properly.

StrikeUpTheBand Fri 02-Oct-09 16:53:21

When I was working (on ML at the moment) DS would be taken to nursery by DP at 8am after I had left the house at 7am. He always used to moan that I should get him ready because he always made a fuss when he did it (even though I only had about half an hour or so to get ready myself hmm. Sometimes I would dress him, but sometimes not. Usually I would put out his clothes on the sofa ready for DP to dress him in.

Anyway, one day I just hadn't had time but put clothes out on the sofa as usual. I went to pick him up from nursery at about 5pm...to find him still in his pyjamas shock. The nursery hadn't seemed to notice either!

ProfYaffle Fri 02-Oct-09 16:54:34

Same problem here. I only step in and re-dress if we're going to see mil.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Fri 02-Oct-09 16:55:05

I actually am colour-blind, and still do a better job of dressing DD than DH does. He's a big fan of the spotty top/stripy bottom look. Also has a real talent for unearthing things two sizes too small from the back of the drawer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now