Talk

Advanced search

not to buy a new school uniform for DD?

(20 Posts)
Undercovamutha Thu 01-Oct-09 16:12:21

DD wears a skirt to school (nursery) but keeps falling over in the playground. As a result her knees are a total mess, and are covered in scrapes. She gets so overexcited when she sees her friends that she runs around like a loony and inevitably trips and cuts her poor knees to shreds on the concrete floor. Should I buy her some school trousers, even though I have already shelled out for skirts, or hope that she starts to be a bit more careful? And if I did buy trousers, would these get wrecked too?

carocaro Thu 01-Oct-09 16:15:45

Buy some and yes they will be wrecked too. Tis the nature of our little darlings to fall over lots.

Tesco, Asda and M&S all do good trousers.

I am off to buy more for my DS1 aged 7, he had 5 pairs at the start of term and have already wrecked 2 pairs - bless him!

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 01-Oct-09 16:17:49

YANBU. I spent my entire childhood with scabby knees from falling off roller skates at high speed. No lasting damage! If the scrapes don't particularly bother her, I'd stick with the skirt, she will get more co-ordinated with time. And yes, the trousers would get wrecked.

Stigaloid Thu 01-Oct-09 16:37:32

Has she had her eyes tested? I used to fall over a lot as a child and trip over pavements and it was because i was really long sighted and couldn't judge my steps properly. It may not be that, but if she falls alot may be worth checking into

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Thu 01-Oct-09 17:26:13

I would shell out on the trousers, they might protect her knees a bit, and can you put a price on that?

hanaboo Thu 01-Oct-09 17:28:40

how long is this skirt? my dd hasn't fallen over her skirt since she was one maybe?
if it really is the skirts that are tripping her, and if it is constant then i think u should do something, u could just roll it up a bit so its shorter (a trick i learned at secondary school)

cheekysealion Thu 01-Oct-09 17:30:33

i would buy some trousers... they are so much easier especially for PE days when skirt and tights can be a pain for a small child to take off and put back on

cheekysealion Thu 01-Oct-09 17:30:36

i would buy some trousers... they are so much easier especially for PE days when skirt and tights can be a pain for a small child to take off and put back on

Undercovamutha Thu 01-Oct-09 17:31:32

Its not the skirt thats tripping her up, its the slightly uneven playground + frenzied excitement! (skirt is knee length!).

Undercovamutha Thu 01-Oct-09 17:36:32

Stigaloid - funnily enough she has an opticians appt next week so will check. Pretty sure it is just over-excitement though!

ProfYaffle Thu 01-Oct-09 17:39:00

Would tights help? We have a similar problem here, dd1 is currently in last term's skirts as they still fit but I'm going to buy trousers at half term.

Bathsheba Thu 01-Oct-09 17:44:57

My dd falls over all the time - esp in her first few weeks at school. I send ehr in in tights which offer her legs some sort of protection. We have trousers as an option but the ones I have bought are too long for her at the moment - they will be perfect length in the depths of winter though

Goblinchild Thu 01-Oct-09 17:47:30

Ball and chain?

franklymydear Thu 01-Oct-09 17:50:23

school trousers are about £4

what's the problem?

I think skirts put little girls at a disadvantage in terms of free play sometimes and trousers are far more sensible for play and rough and tumble.

hanaboo Thu 01-Oct-09 17:53:27

aah i see lol i misunderstood the problem, but like i said, if its happening a lot maybe some cheap school trousers would be a gd idea

popmum Thu 01-Oct-09 17:54:37

Undercovamutha - next do some cullotes here which may come up over the knee on her. I'd also get her ears checked - my ds fell over a lot & had glue ear

sarah293 Thu 01-Oct-09 17:56:07

Message withdrawn

Mermaidspam Thu 01-Oct-09 17:56:44

She's a kid, it happens

florence2511 Thu 01-Oct-09 18:00:02

Those Next cullotes are far nicer than trousers.

Undercovamutha Thu 01-Oct-09 18:51:01

Franklymydear - I think I can find a spare £4 grin - just didn't know if there was any point if the trousers would end up getting wrecked as well. Also, she LOVES her skirt (apparently it helps her turn around!), and likes to be matching with all her friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now