Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off at the lack of quality anti-snore products available?

(40 Posts)
EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 15:35:00

Partner snores. Every night. Constantly. Not super-loudly to make me think there's a problem, but enough to seriously grate on my patience. I am a pretty heavy sleeper so while she doesn't normally wake me up, it takes me hours to drift off. To fall asleep for 11pm I have to go to bed at 9 sad.

We have tried the nose strips (don't stick on, and when they do - don't work), the wafer-thin mentholated strips for the top of the mouth (on the plus side, DP's breath smells nice while her mouth is open snoring wink), the cough-medicine-esque substance (bleugh).

I've heard surgery is possible but is expensive, painful, and in some cases donesn't even work hmm. We've reached boiling point because the only thing that provides 2 minutes of relief is me shoving her onto her opposite side (much to her chagrin and shouting as she gets woken up too), but then it's right back to snoring again.

I'm just so bloody annoyed that these products cost upwards of £10 and don't provide any relief. AIBU in that or is there some miraculous product I'm missing?

Callisto Thu 01-Oct-09 15:46:05

DP snores like a bas**rd every night. Red wine makes it worse. Sometimes I could quite happily kill him while he sleeps.

I've no miracle product but I sympathise completely with you. Do you have a spare room? We don't at the moment, but when we did I usually started the night with DP and ended up in the spare room by midnight.

PurlyQueen Thu 01-Oct-09 15:48:34

My friend's mum used to sew wine corks and cotton reels on to the back of her husband's pyjamas so that he wouldn't roll on to his back and snore. It did work.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 15:48:45

Thanks for replying Cal. sad you're in the same boat.

We do have a spare room but separated from our bedroom by one wall, so can still hear quite clearly. DP would be sad if I slept away as we're newlyweds grin.

It's gotten to where I have to position myself with one ear firmly against the pillow and my right arm covering my other ear hmm the lengths sigh.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 15:49:41

My, purly thats interesting!

DP doesn't usually wear pajamas blush.

weebleswobble Thu 01-Oct-09 15:49:51

YANBU at all! Dp is moving in, probably by the end of the month, and I've advance warned him I'm going to frog-march him down to the GP to get him referred to a sleep clinic. He snores like a fucking warthog and has sleep apnoea(sp) so I'm hoping they'll say he needs one of those mask thingies.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 15:50:46

Oooh weebles, what's a mask thingie? Not sure what the sleep clinic entails? <<hope emoticon>>

PurlyQueen Thu 01-Oct-09 15:52:37

My husband would have a stroke if I tried to sew things on his pyjamas smile. I just shove him to make him roll on to his side.

weebleswobble Thu 01-Oct-09 15:55:02

It's a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea(sp again!). I gather they get sent to a sleep clinic where someone else suffers monitors their sleep and if they do have a problem they get given one of these machines. A friends bil has it and his wife now loves him again.

flamingtoaster Thu 01-Oct-09 15:55:51

There is an anti-snore ring which presses on acupressure points on the little finger. Amazingly it has worked for us (it has a money back guarantee but ours is definitely not going back). The amount of snoring and the level of snoring (which was horrendous) is reduced considerably when it is being worn - and I can tell quite easily when DH has forgotten it! We got ours from our local health shop (I was very sceptical!) but you can get them online.

weebleswobble Thu 01-Oct-09 15:56:01

CPAP Machine

Pixel Thu 01-Oct-09 16:00:37

Dh even snores on his side, although it's more likely to be an irritating high-pitched wheezing rather than his normal warthog noises. I can even hear it with a pillow wrapped round my head.angry
If we had a 'spare' room it would very soon become 'my' room as I'm sick to death of desperately trying to snatch a few hours sleep on a two-seater sofa.

Y A N B U.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:04:00

flaming really interesting, never seen this before, have had a look on Ebay and things and am considering it.

A few people say it doesn't stop the snoring completely though, DP's snoring isn't shake-the-walls-loud, but it's constanttttttt which is the annoying bit for me. So even if it were to be a quiet constant, it would still piss me off, iyswim?

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:04:32

Pixel OMG, totally agree with the 'on the side high-pitched wheezing'...angry

freename Thu 01-Oct-09 16:09:46

Sympathies, fellow sufferer here. And a sexist one at that Everysinglestar, assumed your DP was male until I got to the 'she' and realised the role reversal. blush
Mine can be in the spare room at the other end of the house but HE is so loud we still get woken up by it. Saw some nasal washer thingy (how vague!) but don't know if it works or if it is a gimmick.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:11:16

free we are both female grin

freename Thu 01-Oct-09 16:13:52

haha grin to assume is to make an ass of u and me!
may be earplugs that work would be the most realistic route for us all?

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:15:17

LOL, I think you've got it now.

liath Thu 01-Oct-09 16:15:50

You could look into getting a mandibular advancement splint (I think that's the name) - a private dentist would be the source. Not cheap but I gather they can be effective. Where I live ENT has stopped doing anti snoring surgery on the NHS unless there's some kind of anatomical abnormality causing it like a broken nose.

Marne Thu 01-Oct-09 16:18:01

Yes, i have been known to hold a pillow above dh's head ready to smother him grin

We have tried the sprays etc but he still snores and refuses to talk to a doctor.

It's driving me nuts angry.

freename Thu 01-Oct-09 16:23:17

ooohh and another friend got his nose drilled? Perhaps he was talking about your thing liath? Interesting as he had had a broken nose at some point.

Seona1973 Thu 01-Oct-09 16:37:14

have a look at the British Snoring website. If nothing else, they sell ear plugs which helps block out the noise!!

DS snores less since he joined the gym and lost a bit of weight. He also had surgery for a deviated septum which may have helped. He is worse when lying on his back and if he has had a drink and on those nights I have to kick him a bit to get him to shut up!!

freename Thu 01-Oct-09 16:48:05

DH is active so no weight to lose. I think he can't breathe through his nose as he is quite noisy even during the day.

Rocky12 Thu 01-Oct-09 16:51:03

Dont you think that some people see snoring as quite funny. If you were kept awake EVERY night by a party you wouldnt think it funny..

DH and I have seperate rooms now. It is really the only way to get around the issues. And isnt it funny how the 'snorer' stays in the main bed and the 'sufferers'have to move out. My SIL marched her husband to have an operation after he had some tests to say he had a serious snoring problem. Didnt make a bit of difference...

Seona1973 Thu 01-Oct-09 16:55:40

freename, does you dh have allergies? DH has perennial rhinitis (sp?) and uses nasal spray and anti-histamines every day. I think it contributes to the snoring too especially if he forgets to take his tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now