Talk

Advanced search

to find the names 'Bronte' and 'Merrily' intensely irritating. . . ?

(20 Posts)
littlestmummystop Thu 01-Oct-09 10:47:16

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1217340/I-told-stranger-disciplining-child--wonder-danger- producing-generation-brats.html

mumof2teenboys Thu 01-Oct-09 10:51:15

My sons' best friend has a little sister called Bronte. I think its a lovely name (but I am probably biased, cos she's lovely)

BelleWatling Thu 01-Oct-09 10:54:33

Bronte because the 'incident' portrayed here is fiction of the most melodramatic kind.

Merrily - because she is merrily laughing all the way to the bank as her children's 'bad' behaviour is a lucrative source of journalistic income.

YANBU

thedollshouse Thu 01-Oct-09 10:58:25

I wouldn't choose those names but I don't think they are awful.

The article was similar to a situation I witnessed recently. A mum was scolding her little boy who looked about 2.6 and she said "right thats it I've had enough, if you don't sit down now, your icecream is going in the bin". Cue other mums shaking their heads and saying they felt sorry for the poor child. hmm

With the exception of abuse (physical or verbal) I think people should keep their opinions to themselves.

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 01-Oct-09 11:07:10

Am I the only one who noticed a similarity between the childrens names and the surnames of the authors of the book Nutureshock?
Bronson = Bronte
Merryman = Merrily

Just me then...
<goes off to google conspiracy theories>
grin

FlamingoBingo Thu 01-Oct-09 11:08:06

producing-generation-brats.html link

FlamingoBingo Thu 01-Oct-09 11:08:59

try again! hmm

Moontheloon Thu 01-Oct-09 11:19:29

I heard some calling their son Tintin the other day. I did kind of squirm. Sorry if any of you have Tintins.

spokette Thu 01-Oct-09 11:24:06

When the twins were in the special care unit, there was a baby girl who had been called Cinderellahmm.

Moontheloon Thu 01-Oct-09 11:25:34

Perhaps they needed some extra help round the house and couldn't afford a cleaner?

MintyCane Thu 01-Oct-09 11:35:59

I know a Cinderella grin poor thing

MaMight Thu 01-Oct-09 11:38:00

YABU.

Live and let live. We can't all be called Isobel and Jack .

spenthen Thu 01-Oct-09 13:22:05

I came across a Cinderella once too.

There can't be that many of em surely? Mine was in Oxford. Is it the same one?

MintyCane Thu 01-Oct-09 14:12:41

yes it was grin

OtterInaSkoda Thu 01-Oct-09 14:52:24

I know a Tintin - but it's a pet name (as in affectionate, not the name of an animal!).

I was about to say YANBU because the author of the article was so irritating, but actually MaMight is probably right.

katiestar Thu 01-Oct-09 14:54:47

Now I'm puzzled I am getting an article about a woma popping her DDs balloon !

busybutterfly Thu 01-Oct-09 15:20:28

Bronte and Merrily are her daughter's names.

pranma Thu 01-Oct-09 18:22:35

One of my favourite fictional characters is Merrily Wakins in the books by Phil Rickman-interestingly Merrily's teenage daughter is called Jane!

deaddei Thu 01-Oct-09 19:18:43

I read that article (online, as it is a guilty pleasure reading the "outraged from Tunbridge Wells " comments...and I thought what stupid names.
Those outraged mothers would have strung my dh up for cutting the head off ds's favourite toy when he was 3.....looking back, it was very funny, but maybe not the best parenting decision.

jybay Thu 01-Oct-09 19:39:15

I do hope Tintin was a nickname. Did he have a sibling called Snowy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now