Talk

Advanced search

to hate sticker books?

(14 Posts)
louisianablue2000 Thu 01-Oct-09 00:09:01

You know, those ones where you have to find the correct place to put a sticker. Worse than colouring-in books IMO.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 01-Oct-09 01:02:39

The problem is they are marketed at children who are too young to have the fine motor control necessary to do the bloody stickers themselves.
And yet, paradoxically, are old enough not to want parental involvement in the process.
Leading to... meltdown.
Mine, usually.
(Except thank christ, my children are now too old for them.)

nappyaddict Thu 01-Oct-09 01:06:21

What's wrong with colouring in books?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 01-Oct-09 01:08:09

Nothing. I love colouring in, tis very relaxing.

qwertpoiuy Thu 01-Oct-09 01:23:02

I avoid them like the plague! The stickers end up on the table, the fridge, the TV and are a pain to remove...

MamaLazarou Thu 01-Oct-09 03:13:52

Mmm, I adore the smell of stickers. grin

isittooearlyforgin Thu 01-Oct-09 07:16:17

Its the jigsaw books I can't stand! All those fiddely thin cardboard bits that always fall out leaving a scattered trail all over the floor until i want to scream and throw the whole thing in the bin!! (gosh - who knew i had that kind of anger inside me?)

FlamingoBingo Thu 01-Oct-09 07:19:38

I don't mind sticker books, but I agree with itstooearly that jigsaw books really are the work of the devil.

I get so tired of repeatedly sorting out all the pieces that have been taken out in one go by an annoying child fallen out accidentally that I resolved a while ago to freecycle/sell/re-gift any of the bloody things we get in the future as soon as we get them!

CarmenSanDiego Thu 01-Oct-09 07:42:51

Argh, they're both awful. And I never know how long to keep completed sticker books - the stories aren't exactly classics.

Tombliboobs Thu 01-Oct-09 07:57:59

Agree, agree, agree and would also like to add magnet books to the list of those things which will give very little sustained interest to a child, but will cause a lot of unnecessary tidying up to the parent.

Fairynufff Thu 01-Oct-09 15:03:19

I'll second that. Especially the ones they sell in 'school book fairs' - the kids make a bee line for them. I don't consider them 'proper' books.

mwff Thu 01-Oct-09 15:07:10

i'll have your jigsaw books, dd2 is obsessed. not a fan of magnet books at all, they look exciting to the kids, but there's naff all play value in them really. but sticker books are fine - mine never put them in the "right" place but it does keep them quiet for ages sticking them all in a ginormous pile or something and all that peeling is great fine motor control development :P

Lerato Thu 01-Oct-09 15:23:03

Once they are complete, they go in a pile for DD1 to cut up. She is slightly obsessed with scissors currently. Prefer sticker books to be cut up rather than soft furnishings.

DownyEmerald Thu 01-Oct-09 15:36:37

Oh that's a good idea, save for cutting - dd mad for that, currently going through stashes of old birthday/christmas cards and am going to run out soon.

DD still can't do the stickers by herself, but I start it off and then let her pull off and put whereever she wants. Initially it drove me mad if they weren't put in the right place, but I have so let that one go now! As she gets olders she has more interest in it going in the correct place.

But yes, jigsaw books, are an invention of the devil. I actually bought a couple before I realised the stress they create.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now