Talk

Advanced search

to think my parents are idealistic wallys

(38 Posts)
Fleabie Wed 30-Sep-09 22:03:17

they drive me md with there dreamy ideals

the complain that the lotto fund is 32 million and say noone wants to win that muchhmm

thye complain that pople shouldn't be allowed to buy second homes and holiday homeshmm

some tv programme wasa on, the people had sold there homes to the bank,if the house prices went down they didn't lose out, then when the houses went up in value the people couldn't afford to move, my parents think the bank should say "oh well we've made enough money ot of you so just pay us x amount" hmmhmm

it's like they are in cloud cukooland and have no idea how the world works

scrappydappydoo Wed 30-Sep-09 22:05:47

Just smile and nod
I would love to idealistic but reality keeps rudely butting in...

Fleabie Wed 30-Sep-09 22:18:39

oh i can't do that.

scrappydappydoo Wed 30-Sep-09 22:31:07

Coudl you jsut sit and pick holes in their arguements - like 'so if I won 32 million you wouldn't want any money then'?
Sorry I'm being flippant - are you genuinely worried about them or just irritated??

OscarByTheSea Wed 30-Sep-09 22:31:29

They might win the lotto and it may be too much for them so they might give it to you grin, then you can buy a holiday home and a second home grin

piscesmoon Wed 30-Sep-09 22:31:31

I think the world looks better through rose tinted specs! It is very harmless.

OscarByTheSea Wed 30-Sep-09 22:32:19

x-posted. Heh!

pranma Wed 30-Sep-09 22:34:35

They sound really sweet

Fleabie Wed 30-Sep-09 22:37:18

with the lotto, they where saying, noone wants to win that much.
i replied i would.
them, oh no you wouldn't.
hmm

i try and explain id give some to my sibs have some for myself etc.

get interuptted with oh it would be terriblehmm you wouldn't know who to trust, everyone will be after your money.
everyiine will send you begging letters

ffs i want to shout stop fucking playing it then

hormonesnomore Wed 30-Sep-09 23:18:15

My MIL stopped buying lottery tickets because she was scared she'd win!hmm The jackpot was just so much more money than she could imagine coping with. I don't think it ever occurred to her that she could actually give some of it away to me charity or me her family.

piscesmoon Thu 01-Oct-09 08:04:17

I think she is quite right-it is too much for anyone! Giving it away isn't so simple either-people would fall out about who got what. Two million would be easy, even 5 million but 32 million isn't. I wouldn't want to give my DCs more than a small amount to secure their future. I wouldn't want them not to strive and wait for the things they want. Money does a lot of harm. I think your PIL sound lovely. Mine are elderly and wouldn't buy a ticket-they don't want anything material. The world would be a better place if everyone was idealistic!

diddl Thu 01-Oct-09 08:35:28

Tell them not to worry.

If they win 32mil, they can have the 2 and you´ll have the 30 so they don´t have to worry about it!!

But you do read so many stories of people whose lives are ruined [sceptical] so I think they have a point.

They sound lovely, tbh.

weegiemum Thu 01-Oct-09 08:38:14

grin sounds like me and dh - we are idealistic and my parents think the same as you - but about us!

OmicronPersei8 Thu 01-Oct-09 08:40:16

They sound quite sensible - I don't play the lottery because I'd never want to win that much! They sound a bit like my parents, who were unsure when DH and I bought our home - every prediction about house prices and the economy that my dad made then came true.

troutpout Thu 01-Oct-09 08:55:20

blush
I suspect dh and i are also like this

ABetaDad Thu 01-Oct-09 09:25:45

People playing the lottery, buying second homes, holiday homes. Not the most economically sensible things to do but then again neither is buying a lot of things we enjoy. We used to rent two houses, now that was silly. grin

Fleabie - are your parents just a bit jealous of other people and feel they should have done better in life or perhaps feeling a bit hard up? A lot of people are often shocked to find out just how much debt their elderly parents are in. Are they really OK financially?

sherby Thu 01-Oct-09 09:29:44

32 million is an obscene amount of money for anybody to have

ABetaDad Thu 01-Oct-09 09:30:11

Fleabie - that comment about those special mortgage loan schemes (a verison of euity release) that were popular in the 1980s and 1990s. Have your parents done one? It sounds quite a specific complaint. A lot of older people did those when they were in their mid 50s and then got trapped by fast rising house prices over the last 10 years so cannot move house. A particular problem when they reach very old age and their house is no longer suitable or just too big.

OrmIrian Thu 01-Oct-09 09:35:56

" oh it would be terrible you wouldn't know who to trust, everyone will be after your money"

That doesn't sound idealistic at all sad

But I don't think they sound that crazy TBH. Why on earth does it wind you up so much?

BlingLoving Thu 01-Oct-09 09:40:13

My brother can be like this. He also thinks the stock market is bad because "it's just a way for people to make money".

Let it run past you wherever possible. "Well, you don't have to win the lotto but I'll keep trying then, ta. Another cup of tea now?"

Fleabie Thu 01-Oct-09 09:40:59

well there morgage has been paid off, i don't they have big pensions but get by ok.

when we where kids they used to smoke and drink like fishhmm
hmmm great way to waste money imo

abd no they did not do some special scheme, they now own there house outright
standard 3 bed semi

the programme was about people that had sold say 90% of there home to the bank, if the value went down they where fine, but as the prices went up more than expected, if they wanted to move they would have to pay the bank back for 90% pf the value, which was now of there reach.
so mum and dad think the bank should say ok well weve made enough its alright we'll let you off the resthmm

i try and explain its a bank a business not a charity, those people choose to do that

Fleabie Thu 01-Oct-09 09:43:17

me and dh don'ty even play the lotto, we think its a waste of money given your chance of winning

they play it!!

BelleWatling Thu 01-Oct-09 09:50:45

I think they sound lovely. What's wrong with being critical of greed and avarice? I agree with much of what they say - although didn't really understand the last bit.

Once upon a time not long ago people would have snorted at the idea of free education for all or free healthcare - not realistic, not how the real world works...it's thanks to a few idealistic wallies that we have them. smile

iheartdusty Thu 01-Oct-09 10:03:42

hear hear Belle

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 01-Oct-09 10:07:24

They sound lovely. I'm all for a bit of dreamy idealism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now