Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone want to come and pass judgement on a longish tale about dh's birthday present to me?

(59 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Wed 30-Sep-09 13:09:37

So it was my birthday yesterday. One of my presents from dh was in an envelope ... tickets to go and see a band I really like! grin. Hooray, how fab.

But then (get this) he says "Sorry, I can't come that night, I'm working ... but you can get a friend to go with you".

So it means I will first of all have to ask around among my friends and see if someone wants to come with me (which I kind of doubt as this band is one of those "guilty pleasures" kind of outfits, they are a bit of an acquired taste and not everybody loves them).

Then book a babysitter to come at 5.30pm and feed the children as well as getting them to bed.

Get myself to Hammersmith (more than an hour's journey involving a bus and overland train and a tube).

And do the same in reverse on the way back from the gig, possibly on my own, depending on which friend I go with.

AIBU to think this is not actually a great present?

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 30-Sep-09 13:10:51

hmm

Would be furious myself.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 30-Sep-09 13:10:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JackBauer Wed 30-Sep-09 13:13:52

I'd be pissed off, but DH would do that and not think about the hassle it would cause so he might not have realised that it isn't 'a night off'

Can he really not get a night off just this once?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 30-Sep-09 13:18:50

YANBU - that is not a good present.

Carrotfly Wed 30-Sep-09 13:21:10

A night out without the kids ?

Lovely present !

I'll come grin

Rindercella Wed 30-Sep-09 13:21:38

YANBI. I would be just a tad pissed off about that. Surely tickets as a present mean that you both go and that he gets to treat you to dinner when you're out? hmm

itsmeolord Wed 30-Sep-09 13:21:42

Why would anyone be furious??

He got you a present he thought you'd like, the date was probably the only one left available.
Ask him to pay for a cab to and from the overland station.

YABU.

Sourdough Wed 30-Sep-09 13:29:43

Sorry, YABU.
If my DH even remembered my birthday I'd be overjoyed. So he can't come with you, but it was still a thoughtful gift. You even like the band!

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 30-Sep-09 13:31:03

This is the sort of thing my DH used to do. Just not thinking it through .......

I can see why you are a bit miffed, but I think he should get points for trying

Who's the band ?

Eyeballls Wed 30-Sep-09 13:32:44

I think he should get points. I would be delighted with concert tickets and it might be that they were only playing one night or that was what was left.

Now, who are the band?

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 30-Sep-09 13:35:26

No, I'm not furious. But I think it is a lazy present. He saw this band were doing a gig (a one-off) went to book tickets and then realised he was working that night. He is a freelance tv journalist and if he cancels this job having said yes to it then there is always the worry that they'll be reluctant to book him again.

I don't expect him to cancel work on my behalf (we can't afford it!) but I did expect him to make the effort to find a better present.

DH says that as we often do things apart (true) I wouldn't mind. But my argument is that going to cinema/theatre/gigs is a rare treat for us and we NEVER go on our own to big things like that so why would I want to start now?

Our marriage is in severe special measures anyway and I don't know if I'm being unreasonable because he's just not my favourite person at the moment.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 30-Sep-09 13:36:46

Oh, cross-posted. You really want to know the band?

blush

Eyeballls Wed 30-Sep-09 13:36:51

A better present than a concert ticket? Is there such a thing? wink

Eyeballls Wed 30-Sep-09 13:37:23

T'Pau?
Black Lace?
Buck's Fizz?
Shalamar?

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 13:38:50

I think he's tried to get something really thoughtful, but not thought through the practicalities.

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 13:39:14

It's Chaz n Dave, innit?

Eyeballls Wed 30-Sep-09 13:40:12

Banananananananananarama?
Kajagoogoo?
Slade?

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 30-Sep-09 13:42:11

Chaz n Dave have split, you iz so behind the times hully. One of them (I think Dave) is too depressed to carry on after the death of his wife sad.

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 13:43:43

The times they have achanged. Actually, I DID know (so there), but thought maybe they'd got back together for a one-off.

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Death Thrash Metal Head

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 30-Sep-09 13:44:20

Ladies, we're all showing our ages ...

Spandau Ballet ....

Sorry to hear about your marriage probs bibbity.

FimboFortunaFeet Wed 30-Sep-09 13:44:51

Mott the Hoople??

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 13:47:25

Vera Lynn

Oh no...It's Cliff, isn't it?

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 13:48:05

Aled Jones

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 30-Sep-09 13:48:34

I think it's boyzone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now