Talk

Advanced search

To be furious with my neighbours! SORRY THIS IS A RANT!

(25 Posts)
micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 12:23:37

live in a terrace house and the houses all have a garage and parking space at the back of the house down a locked entry. It is quite a hassle to get down the back as it involves getting out of the car to unlock the gate, getting back in and driving thru, getting back out the car to lock the gate again and driving down the entry to your property. Obviously we can all park outside our actual houses and there is some space at the bottom of the road for extra vehicles. One neighbour parks his car in his garage every night from about 6pm however if you park in front of his house he damages your car ( he has keyed several peoples cars including ours and been arrested for it!) delightful!! The other neighbours have 2 cars and they basically park in front of our house ALL the bloody time, they parked one of their cars right infront of our house last friday and have gone on holiday for 2 weeks! I have a young child and it is a real nuisance having to park right at the end of the road and carrying everything up and watching her by the road,They have no children and space at the back and know the problems we have with the other neighbour HOW SELFISH!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Geocentric Wed 30-Sep-09 12:25:24

A well-deserved rant. angry on your behalf.

diddl Wed 30-Sep-09 12:29:59

Are you in and our several times a day, in which case I can see the problem.

If not, I´d rather be using a garage, TBH.

Unfortunately, you don´t have ownership of the bit of road in front of your house.

YANBU, though, your neighbour sounds a complete knöb!!

micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 12:34:31

well I work shifts and can be at work for 7.00am or 3pm, also do the school run wether its the morning or the afternoon one. prob in and out between 2 and 4 times a day. When we go away we ALWAYS put my car around the back both for parking reasons and safety. I just think they are very inconsiderate and knowing that we have a young child aswell angry

Carrotfly Wed 30-Sep-09 12:39:51

I'd be cross too.

Parking is a real territorial thing isn't it.

I think you are better off parking in your garage anyway, especially with that key swinging loon you are unfortuanate to live nnext to.

LIZS Wed 30-Sep-09 12:42:56

You have my sympathy ! We live on a busy road and have off road parking but frequently have others who park outside our house, restricting our access and visibility onto the road.

micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 12:45:45

thing is,we actually have a nice house we have spent lots of money on it, the area is good and the local school very good which my dd attends. The parking thing and our intolerable neighbours are driving us out. I love my house but want nice(normal) neighbours and off road parking and have now started looking at new houses hmm

diddl Wed 30-Sep-09 12:52:29

Well, you´ve got off road parking!

micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 12:58:52

yeah I know but the kind you can just swing into when you get home from the supermarket with 7 bags of shopping and a child!
I know what you men though.
But to be honest, at 6am or 11pm (start or end of early and late shift) the last thing you feel like is dragging your car down a dark entry and getting in and out the car locking and unlocking big iron gates! why cant people just park in front of their own homes

serenity Wed 30-Sep-09 13:02:44

Why don't you club together with the neighbours and look at getting some kind of remote/automatic opening device for the gate? That way it'll be easier to use, and there will be a lot less stress. Who owns the freehold for the access road?

micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 13:07:23

dont really know but I doubt they would, I just need to move I think. Its the parking infront of the house and pissing off on holiday that got to me!! the thug next door is never going to change electric gate or no electric gates, I just need to put up with it for another 18 months until I finish training and can hopefully afford something better

bran Wed 30-Sep-09 13:11:42

Would you be able to sell easily though? If your neighbour has been arrested for keying cars you will have to declare it if prospective buyers ask. If you don't and they find out later that you knew but lied when asked you could be sued for damages.

Did you know about the neighbour's behavour when you bought?

YANBU about the neighbour causing criminal damage, but your other neighbours can park where they want if there are no restrictions so either ask them nicely if they would mind parking elsewhere as you find it difficult with a small child or just tolerate it I'm afraid.

Squishabelle Wed 30-Sep-09 13:20:40

Bran - do you think that OP would have to declare that a neighbour had been arrested for keying several cars?

LIZS Wed 30-Sep-09 13:21:42

Pretty much all of our neighbours have had work done to their houses since last summer so we've had a series of vans and displaced cars parked outside. Today it is the car from 6 doors down, who themselves have ORP for several cars hmm.

Trouble is that if we have cars parked close up to our entrance when I turn into it I have to slow right down to turn fairly sharply and other cars(probably going too fast and too close) come right up behind. Similarly it is hard to reverse out safely. We live close to a layby so they could park further up , more safely and considerately.

bran Wed 30-Sep-09 13:42:09

Squishabelle, he has been arrested for keying cars including hers. Generally there is a question along the lines of "have you had any disputes with neighbours" or a question that asks if there is any known reason why a neighbour might interfere with the buyer's enjoyment of the property. If the OP fails to declare what has happened and the vendor can prove that the OP knew (eg if the police took a statement from her, or she pressed charges) then they could claim the difference between the value of the house with a good neighbour and the value of the house with a bad neighbour.

Equally, it's possible that if the OP ends up having to sell at a reduced price having declared the neighbours behaviour then she might have a claim against the people she bought from. Again, only if her solicitor asked the right questions at the time of purchase and she can somehow prove that sellers failed to respond correctly to the question.

bran Wed 30-Sep-09 13:44:44

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear there. The OP would only have to respond truthfully to questions asked, if a vendor's solicitor didn't ask a specific question about the neighbours then she wouldn't have to declare what has happened. (NB I'm not a legal bod, this is just a laypersons understanding of the situation.)

diddl Wed 30-Sep-09 13:45:47

The locked gate thing does sound a pain,TBH.

Are the properties rented?

morningpaper Wed 30-Sep-09 13:46:58

It is a pain but if the only other space is right at the end of your road, then I don't see why you expect your neighbour to use that space to be honest? Why is that any more fair?

Just get out the car and un-do the gate.

FimboFortunaFeet Wed 30-Sep-09 13:50:26

We have the same problem with neighbours who think it is theirs or their visitors right to park right outside my front door ON THE PAVEMENT. I have put plant pots outside there now to stop it. Works a treat. My other neighbour comes and asks if she can borrow my driveway when she has friends round and that is fine. It is the general assumption that people can just park where they please without any consideration for walkers, people with prams, children etc that gets on my norks.

tinkerbellesmuse Wed 30-Sep-09 14:11:46

On the seller's property information form there is a question whic asks: 'Do you know of any dispute or anything which might lead to a dispute about this or any neighbouring property?'

If the OP said no then she is open to being sued. There is a fair bit of this going on since the HIPs came into force.

Honestly I can't understand this being proprietorial about the piece of road in front of your house - it is not yours, if someone else parks there get over it (especially when you have off street parking anyway). But then when I was in UK I was in London and that is a general free for all so wat do I know?!

YANBU about neighbour keying cars though that is dreadful.

micramummy Wed 30-Sep-09 14:52:28

Okay, the houses are all privately owned. the neighbour, well he is kind of retarded(horrible word but best describes him) he lives alone and is VERY over friendly ie bringing bowls of rasberries and sweets for my dd and chats about nonsense to everyone that walks by, he id have a disabled parking ay outside but the council removed it as he has no physical difficulty. although he DID key our car and HAS done it to other cars parked outside his house, the police arrested him only because my husband happened to catch him doing it one night, he was charged but the police basically said "its not worth going to court over, he obvously isnt quite the ticket etc and is very sorry" we had to let it lie but are obviously scared to park there as is anyone else. I dont mind people parking outside our house occasionally of course, but I think if the other neighbours have 2 cars its not too much to ask them to park ONE of them at the bottom of the road and have a little consideration for us with a young child etc.

FimboFortunaFeet Wed 30-Sep-09 16:18:21

I think if you live in rows of terraced houses where there is a bit of a garden/space in front of the house before the pavement and road starts and you have no driveway then yes of course you need to park where you can and have no say on who gets the bit of road in front of your house, but I don't think its on when your door opens out onto the pavement and a car is parked right outside, up on the pavement, which is what happens in my street.

risingstar Wed 30-Sep-09 17:06:48

we had the joy of living in a row of terraced houses. one of our lovely neighbours had 3 cars. used to park 2 of them with a gap in between and stick his bin in the road until the last car came home and would then PUSH them to fit them all in in front of our house.

now i am easy going but actually wanted to kill them.

micramummy Fri 02-Oct-09 19:08:16

that is SO rude! I would have to scream at them lol

oldraver Sat 03-Oct-09 01:49:26

risingstar.. a nutty woman neighbour of ours would do similar. They used to park their two cars opposite their house (parking only on one side across the road from us). When leaving would take one car out, park round the corner, come back and move the other car up into the middle of now two spaces. It used to piss eveyone off that they were being so petty. In the end if they were seen by whoever was parked next to them they would move an close the gap. She would go ape shit and rant and rave in the street.

We actually gave up parking near our house as it want worth th hassle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now