Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that if I pay £35 p/month line rental I ought to get mobile phone reception AT LEAST in the centre of town

(7 Posts)
Southwestwhippet Wed 30-Sep-09 11:44:23

orange phone reception is just dire here and seems to be getting worse by the day. It has always been ropey out by my mum's house. She lives in a village about 2 miles away from a small town. The small town has never got reception, whilst at my mums we used to get it at one end of the house and on the drive but now, nothing anywhere.

I work about 5 miles out of the main county town on a farm and there is no reception there either or in much of the surrounding villages.

Recently all repection has gone from the house in which I live, and apprently this has happened all over the county town. My OH drove all over town yesterday trying to get reception to pick up a work voicemail.

Driving in and out of town, reception is very hit and miss and the main 'outskirt-of-town' retail outlet park now gets no reception.

Reception is getting worse all the time. Anyone else find that orange is just bloody dreadful once you get out of cities? I am getting to the point where I want to call them and ask for my money back as I can't get reception at work, at home or at my parents house. Would I have a case? What is the use of my phone at all? GRRRRRR angry

Sympathies. It drove me mad when we were back in Somerset over the summer, that I could barely get a signal outside the major towns.

Here in Kenya we have fantastic nationwide coverage. I have texted from the middle of nowhere on safari and dh has even called me from the top of Mt Kilimanjaro!

missingtheaction Wed 30-Sep-09 11:54:15

This summer T Mobile had their mast taken down in my town and all service disappeared. I phoned and complained and got 'tough s£$t' response from customer services but got through to Technical services. They told me they were trying to get planning consent for the mast to go back up and gave me the choice of dropping the contract and sending the phone back or halving the contract price and hanging on for 3 months. I had 2 t mobile phones, one for each DC. One cashed in, the other took half price. Mast is now back up again. Technical Services people could not have been more helpful or generous. But it did take a bit of persistance.

Southwestwhippet Wed 30-Sep-09 12:40:57

It does seem ridiculous that you have to take out a contract which can be for a minimum of as much as TWO YEARS without being able to

a) try the phone out first
b) assertain if you have reception locally

and then the phone companies basically have you over a barrel even if they stop providing a usuable service. Will call technical department later I think. From my landline natch!

They were as bad when I bought internet actually, was told I got it for £7 p/month if I was in the right area, £14 if I was not. I asked the woman in the shop what area I was in and she basically said she couldn't tell me, I would have to find out from technical AFTER I'd signed up for the contract. shock She checked on line when I persued it and told me I was in an 'orange broadband area'. So I bought the contract, got it home and found that by 'in an orange broadband area' she meant that I would actually be able to get the broadband but that it would be at the higher price of £14. angry angry Was bloody livid as for that price could have got better bandwidth with a different company and without directly lieing she had lead me to believe I was in the area for the cheap offer package.

Hate hate hate hate orange.

scaryteacher Wed 30-Sep-09 13:36:53

I had to climb to the top of the house to get any reception where I lived in Cornwall, and it can be equally dreadful in Tavistock.

mumdrivenmad Thu 01-Oct-09 00:44:59

I read about someone having their contract terminated, and them being able to go to another supplier, as the company were not able to supply the service to the user, you may be able to go that route

OrangeResponse Thu 01-Oct-09 17:22:56

Hi there, I work for Orange and might be able to help.

Please send an email to customer.services@orange.co.uk, including your personal contact details and username from this site, and I will give you a call to discuss.

In order that your email is forwarded to me quickly, please add "Jonathan Orange Response" in the subject field and also in the first line of your mail.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
Orange Response Team

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now