Talk

Advanced search

To think that when the OP doesn't post again on their thread

(26 Posts)
BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Wed 30-Sep-09 10:30:27

That they're a troll?

Is there a sure fire way of telling which post is by a troll and which genuine?

There have been quite a few threads when those answering seem sure that it's a troll, so how do you tell? It makes you feel a bit of a tit giving a genuine answer, when the OP may just be trying to wind people up/have a laugh.

Marioandluigi Wed 30-Sep-09 10:31:02

YANBU

2shoes Wed 30-Sep-09 10:32:09

not always of course

IdrisTheDragon Wed 30-Sep-09 10:34:22

If it's a particularly inflammatory OP and then they don't come back, it seems more likely to be a troll than not.

But an OP not coming back to the thread can happen for a number of reasons - it doesn't mean they have to be a troll.

belgo Wed 30-Sep-09 10:36:00

Maybe they simply have a life outside of mumsnet.

paisleyleaf Wed 30-Sep-09 10:38:30

Often trolls.
But I think sometimes posters are genuinely surprised at the reactions they get. Like they just can't believe they abu and don't want an argument.

tootiredtothink Wed 30-Sep-09 10:39:05

Although if I were a troll I'd be coming back just to keep stirring?

It just pisses me off when OP doesn't come back as I'm so nosey interested in what they have chosen to do grin.

Tis good manners to come and tell me I'm right and thank you for such crap insightful advice wink.

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Wed 30-Sep-09 10:39:44

WHAT belgo?? shock what is this life of which you speak?

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 30-Sep-09 10:47:03

That statement shocked me too, Bleep! Having a life outside of mumsnet might mean me actually having to do some housework, or even get out of my nightshirt and dressing gown! Never, I tell you!

ohnelly Wed 30-Sep-09 11:23:48

Sorry but what does OP stand for?? blush

IdrisTheDragon Wed 30-Sep-09 11:25:02

OP is original poster.

Just looked on the acronyms list and it isn't there. I think it should be.

crazylizzy Wed 30-Sep-09 11:32:32

YABU. I am sometimes guilty of this myself (and for that I apologies blush ) I have had good advice and support from MN, recently infact, and with day to day life I sometimes don't get online often and when I do, my OP is pages and pages away.

You are making a harsh assumption IMO.

overmydeadbody Wed 30-Sep-09 11:37:37

YABU

It annoys the hell out of me, but it doesn't always mean they are a troll, more often it means they are just lazy or, more likely, they haven't got the response they wanted.

Really pisses me off when I take the time to try to help someone and they don't even bother to post again, let alone say thank you. I blacklist them.

GooseyLoosey Wed 30-Sep-09 11:38:11

I always imagine that for an OP to be from a troll they have to be fairly intersting or controversial, or what's the point? By extension therefore, I cannot ever by a troll as my OP's are far too mundane. I also agree that there are often good reasons why ops can get back to a thread or can't do so for a day or so, by which time all of the posters have lost interest and have no idea that a reply has been posted.

overmydeadbody Wed 30-Sep-09 11:39:32

I especially hate it on the food and recipes threads. Someone asks for help and advice, I take the time to explain things, post recipes, offer suggestions and help, and they don't even bother to come back!!!!! <froths at mouth>

Squishabelle Wed 30-Sep-09 11:53:49

But OMDB - re the recipes thing - do you not think the poster has disappeared off into the kitchen!

Moontheloon Wed 30-Sep-09 11:58:46

There was a spate of troll threads about wee, so they got quite easy to spot. That's the only time I have joined in with the troll hunting.

overmydeadbody Wed 30-Sep-09 12:02:32

Well Squishy if they have then they shouldn't bloody well post on MN asking for help and suggestions!! If you ask forhelp, stick around to accept it. Otherwise why bother posting at all?

SofaQueen Wed 30-Sep-09 12:08:36

YABU. I have limited time and there might be days (has even bee, gasp, WEEKS!) that go by before I have unencumbered time enough to log back in. Some people do have lives outside of this forum!

SofaQueen Wed 30-Sep-09 12:09:16

meant been, not bee

Moontheloon Wed 30-Sep-09 12:16:07

Don't believe you have a RL Sofaqueen, you're just trying to show off grin

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Wed 30-Sep-09 14:22:29

Is this a troll posting?? The answerers seem to recon they are.

Simplistica Wed 30-Sep-09 14:30:53

If you give a real answer and they're a troll, no harm done

If you say 'Oi trolly fuck-fuck' (or similar) and tehy'reactually vulnerable- oh shit

I try to wok on that basis

Somewhow,I dont think real trolls post in recipes, and if they do they need to get back to troll-school

AmazingMabel Wed 30-Sep-09 14:33:28

There's also the longer-running troll threads where the op posts over and over, multiple threads on the issues. They can be difficult to spot, but then something makes you think hmm

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Wed 30-Sep-09 14:34:17

Lol Simplistica, I'd like to see a troll recipe that's controversial and inflammatory, perhaps a potato recipe that really gets peoples backs up?? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now