Talk

Advanced search

Under 4s in the cinema. Wrong or right?

(34 Posts)
msspock Tue 29-Sep-09 18:50:48

Am I being unreasonable in thinking parents shouldn't take toddlers to the cinema (parent and baby screamings -- sorry screenings, apart) unless they are able to sit through it; without shrieking, needing the plot explained to them all the way through at normal volume, or wandering around disturbing other people?
I think it's selfish and can spoil outings for other families.
Even U rated films are only rated suitable for children aged 4 and over.

choufleur Tue 29-Sep-09 18:52:36

We've taken ds once (he's 3). he can sit through a film. he asked some questions, but tbh no more than some of the older kids.

ThingOne Tue 29-Sep-09 18:54:39

Depends on the child. I couldn't keep my three year old still so don't take him. Some of my friends have children who've loved it.

Whatever age you are talking through the film is not on - doesn't matter whether you are aged and infirm or a huffy teenager.

Plenty of films are suitable for little ones.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 29-Sep-09 18:55:43

what a grump you are OP

ChunkyMonkeysMum Tue 29-Sep-09 18:55:47

Children (of any age) should not be taken to the cinema if they are incapable of sitting down & keeping quiet throughout the film unless they specifically go to the childrens screenings where you would expect this.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 29-Sep-09 18:55:47

well, for some people it would mean that they can't take their older children.
But I think it is unreasonable to let your toddler wander around, not remove them if they are shrieking, talk to them at normal volume etc.

Shoshe Tue 29-Sep-09 19:02:43

Myself and another CM, took 6 under 5's to see Walle (some were only 2),

We sat right in the front, warned them if they got up, they would not be coming again, made sure they were comfortable, and had food and drink, then sat right behind them.

They were all wonderful, only one did get up, to come and sit on my lap.

But then I do find kids are often better behaved at things like that with anybody other than their parents grin

mrsjammi Tue 29-Sep-09 19:06:30

Message withdrawn

bigchris Tue 29-Sep-09 19:11:34

it's fine as long as the parents takes them out if they make a fuss

when dd was 6 months we took her and her big brother (just 3) to the cinema

he was fine, she had a bottle and slept for half an hour, when she started wimpering I took her out

simple

mummygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 19:11:44

So have you never been to a saturday morning children's movie in a cineworld? The place is full of toddlers jumping around/laughing/asking questions...

I have only been once and won't be doing it again, I find it terribly irritating (plus I live abroad atm) but TBH I thought that was the whole point of it...

piscesmoon Tue 29-Sep-09 19:14:17

It depends entirely on the DC.Some are fine, some are not. The parent is at fault if they don't take them out if they are restless.

msspock Tue 29-Sep-09 19:15:32

Wasn't being grumpy. just finding it odd. Ok and a bit grumpy. Probably more to do with a lot of adults treating the cinema as the tv in their front room.
I thought 2 hours was a bit unfair on the 2 year old, myself.
I once went to a matinee of a 15 certificate film ( I think it was "Soul Food".) Cinema was nearly empty, apart from me and a young mum with a quiet toddler. At some point the toddler wandered up to the screen where a couple were making very explicit luuurve and was leaning up against it, looking up at the screen with enquiring eyes. and everything on that screen was larger than lifesize. That's got to make for some potentially confusing "early" memories when they're older. hmm

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 19:15:54

I took DD before she was 4y. She sat and watched the film. No running about, no getting up and down and no shouting out. She did sit on my knee in parts. but this didn't imapct on anyone.

Mind you when I took DD and her friend to see HSM3 at the end they did get up and go donw the front to sing and dance - along with all the other children. They had a whale of a time.

U films have different advice on them, as do PGs. Not all say age 4 and up AFAIK.

Pnly done the Saturday morning thing a couple of times, but ours seemed fine. Wasn'y mayhem in there.

cheesesarnie Tue 29-Sep-09 19:17:55

depends on the child.dd and ds1 waited until they were 4 and 5.but ds2 aged 3 has been.the plan was if it went wrong-as in he disturbed others we would leave and wait a few years.all went well.

mummygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 19:18:18

I's give that child soem confusing early memories and at the same time make sure that they don't lean on the screen when I'm trying to watch a bloody movie!
Originally I thought you were talking about movies aimed at kids

mummygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 19:21:46

ok, that read COMPLETELY WRONG!!! not what I meant at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goblinchild Tue 29-Sep-09 19:25:30

If it's a screening designed for mothers and preschoolers, I wouldn't have a problem.
But if I've paid for me and mine to go to the cinema, it's a pain if there are children asking loud questions all the way through, and treating the place like a playground.
Especially if we've gone later on, hoping that they'd be in bed and they aren't.

CloudDragon Tue 29-Sep-09 19:33:53

I love the saturday morning club - all five us can go to the cinema for a fiver, and no ones gets snotty if they ask a question.

If any of them were to wail I would take them out, but generally i don't find it any more annoying than the mobile/sweet wrapper/talking of adult screenings.

Callisto Tue 29-Sep-09 19:35:02

Completely with the OP here. I went to see the latest Harry Potter film recently with a couple of teenage nephews and had to put up with a 2-3 year old child crying, shouting, wandering up and down aisles etc, etc. It was a 7.30pm showing and the film was completely inappropriate for a child of that age. I was bloody fuming but complaining to the useless staff was a complete waste of time.

bigchris Tue 29-Sep-09 19:38:01

the thing is the number of people actually going to the cinema is on the decline

that is why it's so expensive because people stay at home and watch films a month later on sky or dvd

so to say 'right no one under 4 can go' is shooting us all in the foot

because hey presto there will be no cheapo kids clubs in the week, early on sat/sun because no friggin person will turn up

msspock Tue 29-Sep-09 19:41:43

Goblinchild, you understand where I'm coming from.

msspock Tue 29-Sep-09 19:49:48

So what you reckon, Callisto? I feel reluctant to blame the cinema, as I hate the idea of parents being told they can't bring in well behaved 3 year olds.

Callisto Tue 29-Sep-09 19:56:32

Hmmm, not sure. Maybe the staff should be trained to deal with any situations like this effectively (inc any anti social behaviour from anyone). I think people are generally so selfish these days and can't be relied on to behave, or ensure their children behave, in public that cinemas/restaurants etc need to take control. It means spending money on staff training etc though so unlikely to happen.

notevenamousie Tue 29-Sep-09 20:02:19

I take my dd (nearly 3) just to weekend morning "Junior" screens. They are pretty commonly found and only cost £1. Seems the best solution.

BonsoirAnna Tue 29-Sep-09 20:04:50

I agree with the OP.

We have taken DD to the cinema since she turned 3 (the cinemas here in Paris generally won't let children in at all before then) and she behaves very well. But if she didn't, I would leave the cinema in the middle of the film rather than disturb anyone else. One outing to the loo in the middle of the film is the maximum I will allow her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now