Talk

Advanced search

..to be pissed off at expensive wrap top turning me into trussed chicken

(21 Posts)
thehappyprince Tue 29-Sep-09 16:40:12

70 quid maternity top from isabella oliver (admittedly bought 2nd hand off ebay) which looks great for the 5 minutes after it's been carefully put on but sit down / stretch to pick up a pen / move a muscle and it reveals an expanse of white not very well toned flesh blush. Perhaps there is a knack to putting it on, perhaps only suitable for lithe young things envy

DeFluffMyFanjo Tue 29-Sep-09 16:42:15

Ha! I bought loads of them and was very embarrased at work when colleagues had to point out that when I moved I was revealing rather unattractive flesh too!

They look lovely but everytime you move / go to the loo. stretch etc you really need to retie! Meh!

MintyCane Tue 29-Sep-09 16:42:47

he he wrap tops always look hideous on me - like i got in a fight with a t shirt and it won. grin. I don't even have a bump as an excuse. Send it back !

beaniesinthebucketagain Tue 29-Sep-09 16:43:47

pop a strap top underneath?

YANBU, i had the same problem, they look good if you just stand, thats it just stand and dont even breath!

thehappyprince Tue 29-Sep-09 16:48:15

I am now sitting back straight and will not move for foreseeable future. I am on swivel chair so do not have to turn should anyone want to speak to me. Have learnt my lesson and will never buy wrap top again. Retying is not an easy process in any case - metres of material to trail on floor of toilet (hopefully avoiding dips into toilet bowl) whilst trying to wrap it round. Thanks for the sympathy!

RubysReturn Tue 29-Sep-09 16:51:36

yanbu
expensive clothing is legally obliged to make you look thinner and sexier. Otherwise why would we buy it.

Give neg feedback and sue Isabella!

MaryMungo Tue 29-Sep-09 16:58:39

Sew some of these in strategic locations. No more gaping

mazzystartled Tue 29-Sep-09 17:00:11

Oh I had a couple of those and I found them so uncomfortable, having to mummuify myself in all that strapping.

They looked nice on, and were tolerable with a little camisole under.

Stick it back on ebay, and buy one of the wrap dresses instead they are fabulous.

thehappyprince Tue 29-Sep-09 17:06:57

I will try a vest top underneath then sue! Good advice! I have a wrap dress which is great, mazzy and assumed (wrongly) top would be similar. Perhaps I'm being foolish but has anyone tried other tops from I.O.? Will any of them make me look thin, sexy and glamorous? I am tempted by the bracelet portrait top (as worn on glamour girl apparently) but should surely have learnt my lesson about buying expensive (even on ebay) clothes...

LongStory Tue 29-Sep-09 21:26:57

Hated mine. Took about 10 minutes to un-wind and re-wind when I went to the toilet, which (with a twin pg) was about every 20 mins. Also was told 'gosh, you look huge' several times on the two occasions I wore it in my 2nd trimester.

poppy34 Tue 29-Sep-09 21:30:47

no they are shite-ok they can be beter with a vest top under it but still wriggle free.

and don't be tempted by the bracelet top unless you want to go for the page 3 girl expecting look ( you may well want that wink)

BiancaJackson Tue 29-Sep-09 21:34:43

Only good with a strappy vest top underneath. May I recommend H&M Mama vests? Long, thin and stretchy. I had my baby nearly a year ago and still cannot part with mine wink. My problem was always storing my IO wrap tops. They are so annoying to fold up / hang up / do anything with other than stuff in a drawer and then spend hours unfolding and trying to decrease...

TheBolter Tue 29-Sep-09 21:38:39

Agree. I used to own two of them when pg. They look fab in the photos but in RL are a pain in the arse. They don't 'sit' properly, they're fiddly to take on and off, the sleeveless one looked unflattering around the shoulders and they were just bloody uncomfortable to wear.

I sold mine on Ebay and made a nice tidy sum from them!

TheBolter Tue 29-Sep-09 21:39:32

I remember saying that when in the pink one I looked like a fat labrador that had got lucky with the Andrex.

thehappyprince Tue 29-Sep-09 21:44:07

Poppy, think my chances of looking like a page 3 girl expecting are slim, even with big pregnancy boobs! Nice to know I'm not alone in finding the top impossible to wear though, thanks.

thehappyprince Tue 29-Sep-09 21:50:49

hee hee thebolter - love your description. angry that I might have bought it from you on ebay for tidy sum!

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 22:13:21

the IO wrap top is famous for doing this, sorry
many threads on here abotu it

ebay to some other poor sap

4SucksFake Tue 29-Sep-09 22:57:05

yes, get rid. drive me bonkers

pingviner Wed 30-Sep-09 10:08:30

hmm

I bought two of the bloody things and remember a horrible disintegrating moment as I stood up to meet a new colleage... Mercifully he had moved on to a new position by the time I came back from maternity leave

feeling guilty - I went and sold mine on ebay tooblush

flowerybeanbag Wed 30-Sep-09 10:15:50

Agree about the bracelet portrait top. I forked out for one and have worn it precisely once, during which time I spent most of the evening trying to hoik up the front in order to better cover my cleavage.

poppy34 Wed 30-Sep-09 11:17:31

Good thought re eBay- if I have another I won't miss the horrors of the Isabella Oliver wrap top or bracelet top. And feel no guilt re ebaying as it's clearly a first pregnancy right of passage to struggle with these tips.

I would however say that isabllea Oliver trousers were lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now