Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that the new pactice manager is a complete --knob-- jobsworth?

(31 Posts)
TinyPawz Tue 29-Sep-09 11:42:20

My doctor surgery used to be very helpful, lovely reception staff, lovely docs. Then this new practice manager has started and is making up completely arbitrary rules.

For instance, I phoned this moring for a repeat prescription (as I have done for every quarter for about 7 years) and the receptionist informs me that there is now a new rule/process. Repeat prescriptions have to be recieved either in writing or in person to the doctor!!!hmm

So instead of me bhind able to pick up tablets from chemist this afternoon, I have an appointment for later this week.

Does anyone elese think that this knob manager is just creating more work for already overworked doctors?

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 29-Sep-09 11:47:42

i don't really understand. what happened before? you just phoned up and then the chemist gave you a perscription? that sounds weird tbh

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 11:49:07

Maybe new guidelines have been brought in? I heard of a similar change in another doctors recently.

groundhogs Tue 29-Sep-09 11:51:25

Hmm, they brought that rule in to our Drs years ago, just do it by post in future... hassle I know, but it's pretty common.

Stayingsunnygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 11:55:07

At our practice, we fill in a form and leave it at Reception, and the repeat prescription is ready either that afternoon (if you put the request in before 10am) or the next morning. In general this seems like a pretty sensible system, though I don't know how it copes with people who can't get into the surgery easily.

Some chemists offer a repeat prescription service - I'm not sure how it works, but I assume you let them know when you need a repeat prescription, and they get in touch with the GP to request it, then you pick it up from the chemist when its ready.

Tinypawz, I can quite understand why you are peeved about this change of rules by your surgery manager - it sounds as if there was no consultation or attempt to let people know ahead of time - I know that I tend to forget to get my repeat prescriptions until the last minute, and this system would have meant me running out altogether.

One thought - when it says you have to make the request in writing, does that mean you could write a letter to the GP and either post it or drop it into the surgery in future - that wouldn't be as easy as phoning up, I accept, but would mean you didn't have to go in each time.

TinyPawz Tue 29-Sep-09 11:57:25

GayTony, I used to phone surgery, tell the receptionist what I needed and then pick up the tablets from the chemist in the afternoon.

ok, so it is not the managers fault but I still maintain he is a jobsworth!

mumto3boys Tue 29-Sep-09 12:05:17

Will they accept email? Ours have just started it. You email what you need, they email back when the prescritopn is ready, then go to gp and pick it up. You can opt to have it sent straight to the chemist if you want.

But our doctors is fab!

Bramshott Tue 29-Sep-09 12:07:56

Will they not let you do it by email? At our surgery it has to be in writing, but email is fine and they have a form on the website for you to do it.

Bathsheba Tue 29-Sep-09 12:08:37

Ours do repeat presriptions by phone on a special phone line, and they will send them to the local Boots for you...but that process takes 72 hours....it works very well, but its not quick at all.

Unfortunately it sounds like the system you have before with such a fast turn around was very different to the norm, and the system you now have is more common accross the board...

2rebecca Tue 29-Sep-09 13:12:19

Our surgery doesn't do phone repeats, too much scope for error. The policy change may have been caused by a complaint. Sending request with SAE is least hassle way of getting script, or post request and ask script to go to local pharmacy if they collect from surgery.
The practice manager could only have brought this in if the doctors agreed with it.

jybay Tue 29-Sep-09 13:24:20

Our practice has this rule for safety reasons (so many medications have similar names, doses can change etc etc). However, often your pharmacist can get repeat prescriptions for you or - as someone has already said - you can email the request. I'd check with your pharmacist as a 1st step - s/he may be able to handle your repeat prescriptions for you.

EightiesChick Tue 29-Sep-09 13:24:41

My old GP surgery used to allow you to order online; had to change due to house move and now they only accept them on a specific form, and then you have to wait 2 days to get the prescription. No phone orders allowed. They are each able to make up their own rules on this unfortunately. Come the revolution (ie when the geographical boundary GP system is dismantled, and this will happen cos the Tories have said they will do it as well as Labour), move to a different GP and tell them that's why you're doing it.

NHS policy isn't much better though. I am on a blood thinning drug, warfarin, and because it can be dangerous (can't everything?) and many people take it incorrectly, our PCT brought in a rule a couple of years ago that you had to show your dosage book when you requested a new prescription so they could see what dose you were on. This meant you had to make two visits to the surgery, couldn't do it online or by post as you needed to keep the book. I suggested that perhaps I could order the prescription and show the book when I collected it, thus meaning only one visit, and they looked at me with genuine astonishment. Apparently no-one had thought of this. And in any case, no-one was checking that I was actually taking it correctly, just making it harder for me to get the stuff in the first place!

Surfermum Tue 29-Sep-09 13:33:48

I think you're being a little harsh on the practice manager. Maybe she/he is trying to improve things.

There's way too much margin for error with verbal requests. And maybe by insisting it's done by appointment or in writing it means they can manage everyone's time better. The receptionist isn't taking endless calls about repeat prescriptions, the doctor isn't faced with loads of urgent requests to be done that day. Plus if people are seen to do a prescription they can be reviewed to make sure they are on the correct dose or if they need it any more. I can see why they'd organise it like that.

holdingittogether Tue 29-Sep-09 13:39:13

I can see why they shouldn't take requests over the phone, as pp said too much room for error. Our surgery will accept it by e-mail or in writing or you book an appt.

New practice manager maybe under instruction from the practice partners to improve or implement changes.

flowerybeanbag Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:05

I agree I don't think requiring repeat requests to be in writing rather than verbally makes the practice manager a jobsworth. Sounds very sensible and normal to me.

With our surgery I tick the items required on the repeat form attached to the previous prescription I had and drop it into the doctors for collection 2 days later. You can also just jot it down on a bit of paper and drop that in, and I believe they also accept email requests.

jybay Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:37

Eightieschick - that sounds nuts! Yes, warfarin is more dangerous than many drugs but one of my major aims as a GP is to support my patients in leading their normal lives, not to drag them up to the surgery twice a month! Why don't they just check your INR results on the computer - they must have access to them? If I were you, I'd write to the PCT chief exec and complain.

Sassybeast Tue 29-Sep-09 15:54:46

I'm not sure that it will have been solely down to the practice manager tbh. I've NEVER come across a practice when you can get tablets without a written prescription of some sort and I've never known a pharmacist to issue drugs without a written prescription.

CyradisTheSeer Tue 29-Sep-09 16:04:28

Message withdrawn

beaniesinthebucketagain Tue 29-Sep-09 16:46:28

jobsworth,

if its repeat i ring up give name adress what tablet, they go thank you ready on ..... am/pm!

if they change it i will end up pregnant because anything that requires alot of effort and fiddling around becomes bottom of list and forgotten!

TinyPawz Tue 29-Sep-09 20:50:04

I quess I'm just gonna have to get over it, but that hasn't stopped me telling EVERYONE i have talked to today.

We all agree the manager is a jobsworth and life (my life) was easier!

I now need to take time off work to attend a doctors appointment (wasting his time too) just to get the same tablets that I have been getting for years and years.

TinyPawz Tue 29-Sep-09 20:51:01

I quess I'm just gonna have to get over it, but that hasn't stopped me telling EVERYONE i have talked to today.

We all agree the manager is a jobsworth and life (my life) was easier!

I now need to take time off work to attend a doctors appointment (wasting his time too) just to get the same tablets that I have been getting for years and years.

flowerybeanbag Tue 29-Sep-09 20:55:14

Why do you need to go and see the doctor if it's for something on your repeat list? Can't you just put it in writing?

nellie12 Tue 29-Sep-09 21:04:50

playing devils advocate tinypawz - you are well overdue a review of medication. Can you not put the repeat request in and ask the chemist to lend you the tablets until the prescription comes through? Most chemists will do this if they know you.

Anyway this is standard practice and also keeps people off the phone so that other people can get through to the drs. And in fairness you probably haven't been on the receiving end of these requests.
"And I need that pink tablet for my heart and the white one for my blood. I take 2 of them" and so it goes on.

Sidge Tue 29-Sep-09 21:50:38

If you have been getting medication on repeat prescription for 7 years without seeing someone then that is appalling practice and it is totally appropriate that you are seen for a review.

However if you have been reviewed and just do the request over the phone then it may be that the practice are now doing what most practices do, and asking that all requests are put in writing. It removes the possibility of error and actually makes better use of the staff's time as all requests can be processed by one person.

1dilemma Tue 29-Sep-09 21:56:13

errors?

to stop people getting prescriptions for patients who don't need the drugs?

same thing for patients who live overseas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now