Talk

Advanced search

to hate my new neighbours who i haven't even met?

(18 Posts)
VictorMeldrew Mon 28-Sep-09 23:35:45

They live in a frickin ashtray

the smell of smoke is seeping through my walls

my whole house stinks because of the dirty smoking bastards

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 28-Sep-09 23:49:19

Message withdrawn

VictorMeldrew Mon 28-Sep-09 23:53:22

Its coming through the walls

I have lived here 20 yrs, they have only just moved in, cant i get the council to evict them or summit?

Lately i have had to use my inhaler every night before i go to sleep, and i wake up through the night wheezing sad

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Mon 28-Sep-09 23:59:24

Blimey! Are you both in Council houses? Can you ask your housing department to do something about the walls?

If smoke is coming through the walls there must be something very badly wrong with the structure of the house.

The Council won't evict them for smoking in their own house.

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 28-Sep-09 23:59:49

I would go to gp and discuss the effect it has on you - get him to write a letter to that affect

Then go to council housing office and make suitable polite complaint - write down exactly how it affects you, dates times etc

Do you own yours or do you rent?
Persumably they are renting from council?
I ask because that will make a difference to how any complaint would be dealt with

I agree with Shine though - legally they have the right to smoke in their own home and garden
But if their behaviour is affecting your life and health you should have grounds for a complaint

Especially if they argue, scream and shout and play loud music a lot or have a noisy yappy dog or have awful teenage kids........... (which are the usual things people complain about)

Sympathies it sounds awful for you

VictorMeldrew Tue 29-Sep-09 00:04:49

I rent my house from the council

I think they have bought theirs from my previous neighbour, i know she bought it of the council, but she moved out and it was empty for ages

Other than the smoking, i dont hear a peep out of them, its two men in their 50's living there

VictorMeldrew Tue 29-Sep-09 00:08:47

The structure of the house is extremely bad, the cowboy who built the housing estate 40 yrs ago was thrown in jail for not building them correctly, the council then rented them out or something to that effect

They were going to pull them all down about 10 yrs ago because they were declared structurally unsafe, but they decided to spend the money on re-modernising them instead

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 29-Sep-09 00:09:07

Oh ah um!
Im not an expert at all but if they have bought it you are stuck with them I think

If they are renting it however..............
They will have no doubt a 6 month contract which may or may not be renewed according to the landlords wishes

You of course have rights as a council tennant - whether those rights extend to being able to live in your own home without inhaling neighbours fumes I dont know - check your contract/tenancy agreement and visit housing office to enquire

Goodluck

VictorMeldrew Tue 29-Sep-09 00:10:36

i need to go to bed now

thanks for the replies

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 29-Sep-09 00:11:33

Ah - well in that case I would get legal advice and see where you stand

Not that I am an expert in the slightest!

BitOfFun Tue 29-Sep-09 00:12:22

It can't be coming through the walls, surely? How bad does the construction have to be? <<boggle>>

VictorMeldrew Tue 29-Sep-09 00:16:59

I dont know bof, unless they are sneaking into my house for a cheeky fag when i am out, i can only assume it is seeping through the walls

The smell is more predominant under my stairway, i know the wall beneath the stairs is not plastered, you can see breeze blocks if you look inside the cupboard under my stairs

VictorMeldrew Tue 29-Sep-09 00:18:29

either that or i am imagining it

but ds1 says he can smell it too, but he is never here, sleeps in his gf most nights

mrsjammi Tue 29-Sep-09 00:18:37

Message withdrawn

Salsavita Tue 29-Sep-09 06:27:59

sad for you. Tis crap that this is affecting your life when the previous neighbours were no bother in all those years.

If you rent yours, could you see if the council could come out to you and investigate to see if there is anything they could do within your house ie. plaster up those breeze blocks?

DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 07:54:42

My parents horrible neighbours can smell when she is cooking,cos it seeps through the kitchen wall & its always a horrible smell off old hot fat out of her chip pan.

Oh & they can also smell when they are smoking weed cos it stinks the kitchen & lounge out.

DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 07:55:33

Too early in the morning,that is supposed to say my parents can smell their neighbours cooking & weed through the walls.

beaniesinthebucketagain Tue 29-Sep-09 16:37:03

how horrible for you,

My mum has this in her terrace, only affects her hall, we stored a carseat in the hall cupboard for 6weeks, and it stunk, several washes it still did, so i tipped a £100 carseat, i cant stand that awful smell, each to there own but its not nice it seeping into the house!

Since its affecting your health, i really would hope something could be done! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now