Talk

Advanced search

To say something to the teacher about this

(22 Posts)
Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:39:34

deep breath but I want honesty so I will post here...

DD is 2.9 and just started prep. There seems from what she says, to be a little boy who is a bit "physical" with her. First week he pulled her over to show her the Tomatoes, then he was tweaking her bunches pulling her hair. This is all from feedback from her and she is quite matter of fact about it. I am not so bothered about this.

Today she came home with a big dollop of dried glue in her hair which she says again this little boy did. It was just horrendous to get out, need some tips actually but that is another thread. I am not cross at the boy or anything, but more feel this could have been mentioned by the teacher so I was aware she had a huge gluey knot in her hair. Shouldn't they have been monitoring her to be aware it happened and just let me know?

TheHeadbangingWombat Mon 28-Sep-09 19:43:20

I need to clarify this first.She's 2.9 and has just started prep?

Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:46:38

yes

Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:48:06

I am starting dinner now - will be back to check later....

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 28-Sep-09 19:48:22

What's prep? is that another word for nursery?

TheHeadbangingWombat Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:00

That's what I'm wondering.

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:55

What is prep? Is it a nursery/kindergarten type thing?

Has the teacher been aware of these incidents?

What is the pupil:teacher ratio like? Are the children being fully supervised during activities?

If this is an ongoing issue I would go and spealk to the teacher about it.

luckyblackcat Mon 28-Sep-09 19:51:59

Actually, she will not start Prep school until she is in Yr 3.

I presume you mean she has started in the nursery department of a pre-prep school.

So did he actually 'pull her over' onto the ground or just tug her so she came with him to see the tomatoes?

I'm afraid children get glue/paint/alsorts in their hair/clothes/etc - part of life imho.

Even at a fab pre-prep there are still going to be 6 pupils to each member of staff, unless it is really tiny.

Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:53:03

Yes Kindergarden/ Preparatory school. They have only recently started taking children from 2.5 normally is age 3.

As far as I am aware Hula the teacher is not aware of the incidents no but I may be wrong. Now really have to go and cook..

overmydeadbody Mon 28-Sep-09 19:55:47

Yes YABU

If you are sending your 2.9yr old to 'prep' or any kind of nursery you should expect them to sometimes come home with glue/paint/mud etc etc on their body and clothes.

lol at a boy being a bit physical with her. That's what small children do.

luckyblackcat Mon 28-Sep-09 20:00:17

Just because it is an independent school does not mean there will be no boisterous children.

I stood in the queue at a garden centre and watched a little horror darling boy (from the very exclusive local preprep) munch his way through a fair few sweeties from the pick and mix (his Mama was busy on the telephone and shopping). To be fair to him, he did put the ones he didn't like back and only broke off a few of the lids.

Children are children, he hasn't bitten, punched, kicked or otherwise injured your DD?

Did he put the glue in on purpose? Did he just turn around with a glue spatula or put his hand up to get attention from the teacher LSA with it in his hand?

OrmIrian Mon 28-Sep-09 20:00:23

Yes yabu.

madwomanintheattic Mon 28-Sep-09 20:03:54

dd2 frequently comes home with stuff in her hair. (blue paint in blonde hair is difficult not to notice lol, but as most of the kids get stuff all over them i don't think the staff think it's worth mentioning tbh). dd2 thinks it's magic that i can tell what she has been doing and in what colours before she tells me. grin

how fabulous that one of her new friends wanted to show her the tomatoes. she sounds like she is settling in fine and getting involved. i don't think you have anything to worry about at all, it sounds like a great place.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 28-Sep-09 20:04:07

I assume from replies that "prep" means posh school? That's irrelevant grin don't let that turn into the issue on this thread (I know what this lot are like wink ).

All you need to remember is that these are babies. They aren't even 3 yet! They will push and shove and pull and make mess and that's normal. And you can't expect the teacher to tell you about all this because it is totally normal child behaviour. It is no big deal. It isn't a 'problem'. try not to make it one.

lilmissmummy Mon 28-Sep-09 20:12:02

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is distressing your dd. If it does distress her then speak to her teacher otherwise just encourage her to be assertive.

They'll grow out of it!
x

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Mon 28-Sep-09 20:14:53

You might want to get into the habit of tying your DD's hair up anyway - cuts down on nit infestations.

HTH smile

Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:18:05

Just popped back to this, really didn't want to make a big deal about independent school or anything, just the term I used...

Yes grin I did love the fact that he was enthusiastic about showing her the Tomatoes. I just think from what she says he is over-zealous with the pulling and fiddling.

She says he dipped his finger in the glue and put a dollop of it in her hair - I just thought this might have been worth a mention but suppose it could have gone unnoticed by Teacher. Thank you for your replies, I need advice about silly stuff like this as have no one else to ask really!
x

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Mon 28-Sep-09 20:19:03

Lots of us ready to tell you about normal scrote child behaviour here grin

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Mon 28-Sep-09 20:20:16

But seriously - long hair + girls together at primary level putting heads together = nit infestation at record speed.

Jujubean77 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:58:39

I will tie it up, that's all I need bloody nits...

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Mon 28-Sep-09 21:11:58

grin

madwomanintheattic Mon 28-Sep-09 21:58:06

plaits until at least 10, seriously. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now