Talk

Advanced search

Because I really want you to tell me that I am ....... honestly !

(47 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:30:47

Ds was born almost 5 years ago, we kept nearly all of his baby stuff 'just in case'!

I have washed all the babygroes and vests etc, but have bought a snowsuit and coming home outfit new so far.
Some of the stuff out the garage is unuseable, but dh got the pushchair and car seat down on the weekend, I washed all the covers and cleaned it, and it actually looks ok (it was a fairly cheap Graco when we bought it for ds, not a fancy £400 job).
I have an almost brand new quinny zapp which I love, so after 6 months will pretty much use it exclusively.

So dh thinks Im being a brat for wanting a new pushchair and car seat, when the one we have will be used for a fairly short amount of time, and has scrubbed up really well.
I know I am, and that the money will be better spent elsewhere (nice treat weekend away for me and dh or extra money for xmas pressies etc), but I still feel a bit hard done by that I have to take ds to school with new baby in crummy old pushchair blush.

Oh god Im ashamed of myself for just typing that, it makes me sound awful, especially since its my 3rd!
So come and tell me AIBU so I can feel better bout it all and give myself a bloody good slap grin

rubyslippers Mon 28-Sep-09 10:32:58

YABU!

but you are allowed because of the PG hormones wink

MmeLindt Mon 28-Sep-09 10:34:43

YABU (just a bit)

But then I bought a new pram for DS so who am I to speak.

beaniesinthebucketagain Mon 28-Sep-09 10:35:45

i dont think your being unreasonable, but then im a buggy tart only had 4 for both children but still oggle them whenever i can, unless you want a £600+ one then yabu! if you want something new reasonably priced i can see the problem, esp as the old ones heading towards 5yrs old, buggys have changed alot in that time smile

hambler Mon 28-Sep-09 10:35:50

YABU!

Harimosmummy Mon 28-Sep-09 10:36:44

YABU, you know you are...

But it's your precious baby, so it's totally understandable.

Still better to use the money elsewhere, though.

I think you know that already.

rubyslippers Mon 28-Sep-09 10:37:37

my buggy/travel system is 3.5 years old - what will have changed?!

it is not worth spending even £50 on something you simply don't need

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:38:25

Oh beanies, you ruined the thread wink I dont want a very ezpensive one, but for a from birth, plus a car seat Im looking at least £200, which is a lot for Xmas or romantic weekend away, especially for limited use given how much I love my quinny.

Thanks to everyone else, keep the YABU coming grin

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:40:56

and looking at the Graco ones on the mothercare site, very little has chnaged, other than an increase in price shock

ScummyMummy Mon 28-Sep-09 10:45:07

Awwww. It's natural to daydream about perfect fixtures and fittings for your new baby, I think. And while it would be unreasonable to go out and spend hundreds of pounds when you need the money for other things, I'm sure there must be a compromise. Couldn't you get the pram huns to find you a lovely ebay bargain?

fruitshootsandleaves Mon 28-Sep-09 10:48:10

YANBU. I had a bugaboo for my last (No.4) baby, because the one I had for my first two (a year apart) snapped and then I borrowed one from my sister.

bumpybecky Mon 28-Sep-09 10:52:21

sorry but I think YANBU wanting a new car seat. The safety levels have improved over recent years and the old seat might be a lot less safe than current models (graco seats aren't known for being the safest).

Would it be possible to buy a baby seat that fits the quinny if you want a travel system thing? I'm totally out of date on what fits with what...

lanismum Mon 28-Sep-09 10:53:47

Would def buy a new car seat if the old one is 5 years old, I would use the old pram if money was tight, if not buy a nice new one and ebay it after?

rubyslippers Mon 28-Sep-09 10:56:40

erm, what happens to carseats which are 4 -5 years old?

lanismum Mon 28-Sep-09 11:09:03

Dunno...summat to do with the plastic getting weaker...its prob rubbish but wouldnt risk a 5 yr old carseat...

CyradisTheSeer Mon 28-Sep-09 11:09:34

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Mon 28-Sep-09 11:12:38

YABU forgiveably U.

stealthsquiggle Mon 28-Sep-09 11:14:25

Well I think YABU but since DD is in DS's 6yo Stage 2 car seat (having used his old Stage 1 seat and buggy) and I refuse to subscribe to car seat manufacturers trying to scaremonger their way into more sales, and I never got the whole buggy envy thing, I would do... wink.

Sassybeast Mon 28-Sep-09 11:15:16

YABU.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 28-Sep-09 11:25:09

YAB a bit silly. Although I would probably want a new pram for a new baby too. But given that I got a maclaren from birth with DS and will use it til he doesn't need it anymore I think I'll be justified.
Will be keeping my carseat as my aunt gave it to me and she died She didn't really 'do' gifts so the carseat has taken on more significance than a carseat usually would...

daisy71 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:31:54

I'm going to ruin the thread too. YANBU! Your pram is 5 years old, your zapp won't be any good if your 6 month old wants to lie down to go to sleep and it's your new baby. I've got a new Bee for my new baby who is due in 2 weeks and I've got a perfectly ok Pliko Pramette in the loft. Sod it I say get a lovely new pram!!

TrillianAstra Mon 28-Sep-09 11:37:47

What do you think you would get more joy out of - a new pushchair or something else that could be bought with the money?

NaccetyMac Mon 28-Sep-09 11:42:19

Get a Maxi Cosi car seat and a Dreami carrycot to use with your Quinny frame. grin

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 16:21:33

I was thinking about the maxi cosi car seat as its fits onto the zapp frame (although doesnt look particularly sturdy for a newborn).
My quinny will be fine for a 6 month old, IIRC babies sleep anywhere if theyre going to sleep at all, ds would never ever sleep in the buggy anyway <grr>

I didnt know anything about the car seat thing not being any good after 5 years! Surely they dont expect people to keep on buying new ones each time? hmm

Whats a dreami carrycot?

I would rather spend £200 on a weekend away tbh than a new pushchair I dont need. But would rather have both grin blush

BitOfFun Mon 28-Sep-09 16:25:38

YABU- people will be admiring your new baby, not the pushchair. Apart from a few weirdos who have a pram fetish and say Hun a lot grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now