Advanced search

to think that doing a link is really NOT HARD

(24 Posts)
CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:14:04

all you do is bung a couple of brackets around it

Rubyrubyruby Mon 28-Sep-09 10:15:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 28-Sep-09 10:15:54

It's not hard is it? And if you think you may have made a mess of it then there is a preview button so you can check first.

In the old days it was much harder [gimmer emoticon]

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:16:39

I still do it the old way I always forget about the brackets.

Sunshinemambo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:17:17

Oh one of my fave ever threads is the one where Chramkin can't do links. Let me try and find it to link wink

fishie Mon 28-Sep-09 10:18:02

oh yes i love that thread too.

TrillianAstra Mon 28-Sep-09 10:19:00

Links you are my nemesis!

Well f they're still your nemesis now then you need to get some better arch-enemies cos they are not difficult any more (not very difficult before even really, just follow the instructions).

DuelingFanjo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:19:18

it's not hard but this forum is incredibly old fashioned.

SpawnChorus Mon 28-Sep-09 10:21:09

Oh the Charmkin thread made me rofl grin.

Ivykaty44 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:21:58

Well give a basic tutorial of all the copying and pasting then wink links for dummiessmile

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:22:30

all you do is put [[ and then ]] around a webaddress

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:23:07

like this

Sunshinemambo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:23:33

links you are my nemesis

Ivykaty44 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:24:54

now tutor all about how to copy and paste the web address in detials that will not fail...

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:30:11

you cant COPY on the pooter?
sheesh
click on adress bar
it goes blue
right click copy
then move to this box and right click paste

overmydeadbody Mon 28-Sep-09 10:32:23

I have been meaning to start this thread for ages.

It is really not hard is it?

I think newbies (and anyone claiming "I can't do links") should have to complete a short tutorial before being allowed to post in MN, and only when they have mastered the (f*cking easy) art of adding links should they be givn posting rights.

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:34:03

I agree

angelene Mon 28-Sep-09 10:34:29

It's written right next to the sodding box as well!

Bathsheba Mon 28-Sep-09 10:40:19

My Mum has been going to adult "Computing for the Terrified" style courses for about 4 years here - mainly as a social thing but initially to get her confident enough to be able to do things..

Her teacher didn;t have the slightest clue as to what is actually needed....the teacher would spend ages showing them how to do stuff like make calendars in publisher, or do formulas in Excel which very few 65-70 year old computer users need to know...

But my Mum cannot cut and paste, and has no idea at all about how filing works, or what a tool bar is, and how to attach a file to an email - all the type of things that would help her...(she also doesn't actually know how to do formulas in Excel because when they were shown it she had so little understanding and confidence about using the computer at all it all went ovr her head - if you have no idea what a toolbar is then a formula bar etc is way over your head).

My Mum is fit and healthy and mentally astute and worked until 6 months ago, so its not that she is a decrepit old biddy - this woman was just very well paid for not having a clue how to teach anything.

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:41:02

yes my parents computre calss was OBSESSED with file management

they jsut wanted to be able to type a newletter

Bathsheba Mon 28-Sep-09 10:43:02

Oh, I forgot the point of my post...

She can use theinternet, use if for ordering things and finding things out, and she'd probably, if she felt the need, be able tu use and read Mumsnet...

But she would never be able to do a link as she has no idea how to cut and paste and no isea what an address bar is....

FimboFortunaFeet Mon 28-Sep-09 10:43:44

I still do it the old way. The explanation for the old way which used to be in the box was baffling though.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 28-Sep-09 10:44:10

Message withdrawn

CNyle Mon 28-Sep-09 10:44:50

yes \ then link then { then addy then
oh god i cnat describe it just do it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now