Talk

Advanced search

aibu to get someone to do my washing for me when I'm a skint SAHM with own washing machine?

(90 Posts)
thesecondcoming Mon 28-Sep-09 09:45:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thesecondcoming Mon 28-Sep-09 09:47:09

Alambil Mon 28-Sep-09 09:47:17

cheaper to wash it all and run it to a laundrette tumbler

noddyholder Mon 28-Sep-09 09:50:00

Buy an airer and open a window

franke Mon 28-Sep-09 09:52:34

If it's one day per week to do a wash like this, I'd do what Noddy says for the jeans and bedding - can you put it in one of the bedrooms with the door shut for the day? And put the towels through your drier.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 28-Sep-09 09:53:18

Surely even running a tumble-drier that takes forever at home would be loads cheaper than a service wash at the launderette??

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 09:55:25

It would probably cheaper to use your tumble drier a bit more than have a service wash done.

I have 3 airers which dries jeans, trousers, tops etc, and things which do not go into the tumble drier. However I tumble dry sheets, duvet covers, towels (if the weather is crap) and all smalls (I don't like crispy socks).

However, I have my airers in the utility room so don't have that feeling of impending chaos with laundry all over the place. However, do you have some space in your bedroom - at least you can hide it away in there and it doesn't look as bad as when you have laundry in the sitting room.

Also, washer driers are a pain, it is far better to have seperate machines.

Why don't you try washing all your big stuff at the weekend (sheets and towels and perhaps jeans) and one of you take it to the launderette to dry, the rest of the stuff can be washed in the week and can still go round the house on airers. Shouldn't cost more than a fiver to dry so not as costly as a service wash, and at least you feel that you are not getting overwhelmed by the washing.

Helennn Mon 28-Sep-09 09:58:30

Suggest you borrow an electric monitor jobby from the library, (I have just done it so I know you can), put the monitor on when the drier is doing the drier cycle and see how much it would cost. Then compare it to how much it costs at the launderette, (think this would "piss money up the wall" more!)

And yes, if your dh folds and puts away the washing , you are very lucky! I have to do everything here and it often feels like a launderette! I have got a tumble drier and was surprised that an hour's use was cheaper than my dishwasher cycle, if I buy one less newspaper a week I can do 2-3 tumble drier sessions.

lavenderkate Mon 28-Sep-09 09:59:20

I actually quite like the clothes airing allover upstairs. I love the smell of the washing powder .
Do it all on a Monday like in the old days: Washday monday. by tues eve it should all be dry.

BustleInYourHedgerow Mon 28-Sep-09 10:02:50

YABU.Very luCky to have a DH who helps out like that.

IWantAChickAndADuck Mon 28-Sep-09 10:04:01

It probably would be more expensive than running the tumble dryer, but it is lovely having the laundrette do it all... and it rarely needs ironing when they've done it! Also no fears about it being left in the washing machine too long and needing it to go through again smile

thesecondcoming Mon 28-Sep-09 10:06:55

Ivykaty44 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:07:35

get this

Dry of your washing and then a couple of hours in the sirer over a bath and it will all be dry.

LisaD1 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:10:30

I think you're being a little bit U (sorry). If you were financially doing really well, had a DP who didn't help, were unwell etc then that would be reasonable but you're poor (like me!), have a DP that helps (mine does with most things but will not touch anything clothes related!) and at home so personally think you should do it at home. It will be cheaper to use your own tumble drier once a week than the service wash.

Do you have an airing cupboard? I stick all my stuff on the clothes airer in the garden (when it's not raining) and then finish off some bits in the drier and the more delicate stuff gets hung in the airing cupboard.

thesecondcoming Mon 28-Sep-09 10:14:55

Bathsheba Mon 28-Sep-09 10:16:20

Get a cheap tumble drier (far more efficient at drying than a washer dryer) and use it....they do use electricty but it would be a lot cheaper than a service wash.

belgo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:20:23

thesecondcoming - washing and drying is the easy part - lucky you that your dh folds and puts the clothes away, that's the part I absolutely hate!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 10:22:14

I agree Belgo actually - I don't mind the whole washing palaver, it's the actual putting things in drawers and hanging the bloody things up which makes me want to lie down and cry.

Ooooo I now want a rotary cover for my line - fab idea!!!!

YABVU in my opinion - I know its hard some times, but buy an airer, I put mine in the bath (empty obv) and open my window slightly - not a problem.

kitbit Mon 28-Sep-09 10:28:49

I really miss an airing cupboard - back in the fifteenth century when I was younger the copper immersion tank was soooo cosy and everything was lovely and aired after ironing. More difficult to air stuff now, unless the heating's on.

belgo Mon 28-Sep-09 10:37:07

let's face it it's the machines that do all the work for us, it's not like we have to go on our hands and knees scrubbing and putting things through a mangle.

The only hard work is putting the clothes away, which is why I always have a pile of cleaning clothes lying around the house somewhere!

Longtalljosie Mon 28-Sep-09 11:41:14

Oh for heavens sake - YANBU.

Why do people tie themselves up in knots like this over housework?

Ultimately, if you're not rolling in it, you'll have to make other sacrifices to afford this, but if you hate it that much, then fair enough. No-one would chastise you for paying someone to service your car, or clear your gutters. Go for it.

BTW I sympathise on the drying clothes in a Victorian terrace front - I used to live in one. If you do relent and do your own, this was a lifesaver... I didn't get it from the Mirror but it's definitely the same one. I got the £75 one.

MichKit Mon 28-Sep-09 11:48:04

I do big stuff in the local laundry, dry it there, fold and bring it back home. Plus I get an hour to sit there and read a magazine, what better?

branflake81 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:54:10

I love having stuff drying on airers, it smells really nice. It's annoying in the sense that we have a tiny house and so have to dry all the washing in the bedrooms as we have nowhere else but such is life.

angel1976 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:55:28

How about a dehumidifier? We have one that has a power setting for drying clothes. So you stick all your clothes in one room, close everything and just stick the power setting on for a few hours... But then again, you are speaking to someone who had one too many fights with my DH over housework and now has a cleaner in every week to do the household. I happily do the laundry and ironing though, I find it therapeutic in its senselessness so for me, YANBU! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now