Talk

Advanced search

To want to buy my dog-owning best friend something lovely BUT

(13 Posts)
marenmj Sun 27-Sep-09 16:17:13

don't want it to end up belonging to the dog(s)?

I would really like to buy my best friend a cashmere something-or-other for Christmas as I haven't seen her in ages and I know she would love it.

BUT

she has two dogs, a cat, and owns a dog grooming salon, so there's a massive amount of pet hair in her life. I already know that she has consigned most of her clothes to becoming dog-hair coats and I understand this kind of acceptance is just what pet-owners do (and, as a cat owner I agree with it).

I want to get her a lovely something-or-other, but I already know that the animals will be enjoying it just as much as she will.

AIBU to want to make sure the dogs don't get my present or should I just give up the thought and get her some lovely wellies for tromping around outside with the dogs instead?

beaniesinthebucketagain Sun 27-Sep-09 16:29:48

YANBU,

i brought a friend a sheepskin liner for her ds buggy (when he was born better than another baby outfit that hed never wear) she had complimented ours and so on, was thrilled said thanks alot, but in a mere few months it was in her cats bed, i was livid angry

mumblechum Sun 27-Sep-09 16:31:00

Jewellery?

marenmj Sun 27-Sep-09 17:33:44

I don't think she wears jewellery, although when we were younger she did.

Now she spends so much time elbow-deep in sudsy dogs she has to keep her wedding ring on a necklace!

ceres Sun 27-Sep-09 19:49:04

well maybe the wellies wouldn't be such a bad idea?!

you know your friend best - personally i would prefer a good pair of wellies to cashmere. i'm a dog owner and spend lots of time in my wellies, they are v comfy aigle ones and cost quite a bit (£65). worth every penny!

pranma Sun 27-Sep-09 20:29:54

how about cashmere gloves?They wouldnt be much use to the animals- unless she has a hamster needing a bed smile

marenmj Sun 27-Sep-09 20:40:57

ceres

I thought I could probably spend about the same amount on a really good pair of wellies as a cashmere jumper grin

Maybe I will get her some serviceable wellies and posh socks. Her dog is an Afghan, so might eat socks... hmmm. I should ask her husband if the dog is prone to eating footwear.

Thanks for the recommendation grin

ceres Sun 27-Sep-09 20:53:14

i think that is a great idea - you can get some lovely welly socks to keep your toes toasty.

i love afghan hounds, they are so elegant! bet she has to spend hours grooming (not a problem with my not-so-much-elegant-more-common-as-muck staffie).

aigle wellies are fab, i prefer them to hunters but hunters have a much better range of colours and designs.

TrillianAstra Sun 27-Sep-09 20:58:14

If you get her a present isn't it her choice how she chooses to use it?

YABU, but I think I would be too.

marenmj Sun 27-Sep-09 21:01:24

Grooming an Afghan is not such a time-sink if one owns a dog grooming salon and has all the kit grin. Her Afghan gets the royal treatment every Monday after hours AFIK. Last time I went for a visit the dog's white blaze was a lovely shade of turquoise because they had been to a grooming convention the weekend before and had a demonstration on vegetable dyes grin

To my friend the downside is that, stood full height, her dog can reach not only the furthest corners of the kitchen counter, but the higher shelves as well AND she has a fondness for butter and candies.

marenmj Sun 27-Sep-09 23:50:31

TrillianAstra "If you get her a present isn't it her choice how she chooses to use it?"

Yes, absolutely. Which is why I'm not sure if I am unreasonable to be hesitant to get a fancy present that might get 'adopted' by the pets.

BustleInYourHedgerow Mon 28-Sep-09 00:02:12

Maybe a nice scarf? It's something she can wear every day, hopefully that the pets can't steal....or a handbag?

ZacharyQuack Mon 28-Sep-09 04:01:28

A nice perfume to cover the stench of wet dog grin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now