Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that DH walks around with his ipod permanently in one ear?

(31 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 16:01:17

He listens to audio books, and he mostly has one earplug attached to his hear, whether DD and I are present or not, he is only half present.

Great that he is a book worm. But it really bloody irritates me.

AIBU?

reikizen Sun 27-Sep-09 16:02:50

God, how old is he? 16? grin

Thandeka Sun 27-Sep-09 16:06:59

yanbu- my dh too but he has both in so I have taken to yanking them out when he cant hear me!

CNyle Sun 27-Sep-09 16:07:26

yes

its very rude

nickytwotimes Sun 27-Sep-09 16:07:57

Yanbu.
Very rude.

scaryteacher Sun 27-Sep-09 16:18:22

My 13 yo does this, and his iPod is going to be taking up residence in the freezer very shortly.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 16:18:35

He does not get why its so annoying. I have tried explaining it. He says it is not rude as he can hear us. it's not like he has both in or listening to loud music hmm.

And its currently my effing ipod as he can't find his. I might have to confiscate it.

beaniesinthebucketagain Sun 27-Sep-09 16:21:00

YANBU!!!

My DP does the same but with some awful loud metal music, sounds like a car crash coming from one side of him, drives me barmy!!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 16:24:38

scaryteacher the freezer is sounding very tempting...if it were his!

beanie at least mine is not listening to metal, I guess I should count myself lucky!

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 27-Sep-09 16:26:10

Personally, there would be a highly unfortunate accident with said ipod and the back wheel of my car very quickly.
YANBU!!!!!

clutteredup Sun 27-Sep-09 16:34:28

DH had both earphones in the other day - I was shouting so he could hear me and he got annoyed as there were breaks between songs and i should have waited til then to speak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO YANBU

Katisha Sun 27-Sep-09 17:01:54

I hate the idea of people being in company and yet plugged into a different world entirely.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:00:04

Katisha - that is exactly it, I actually find it offensive, he listens to fantasy/sci fi audio books so it really is a different world most of the time. He only pays half attention and it really bugs me!

movingoutofblighty unfortunately, that little accident happened only recently, for real - he got hit by a wave as he refused to heed my advice not to take it to the beach with us when we were away camping with friends and insisted on taking it. He got hit by a wave while he sat there and has been ipodless for the most part for several months while waiting for insurance to get their asses in gear and sort a replacement. But then he rediscovered mine which I do not use. And now he has his back but its lost in the house somewhere.

I cannot break it again he only got it back a few weeks ago! but i might make sure it gets more permanently lost!

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:01:27

There is always a way, Pavlov, there is always a way... angrygrin

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 20:07:50

yanbu

would drive me mad

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 07:53:47

He came home late from a friend's last night, and he went to bed with the effing thing in his ear. That is why he can sleep through DDs wakings ! I really might have to lose it.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 28-Sep-09 08:02:24

YANBU
My dh is another ignorant man. Though even when he's not got it in he doesn't really listen to anyone else and just grunts replies to things.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 08:04:19

cantsleep I bet DH does not even have it turned on, I bet its an excuse to grunt and ignore me, rather than have no excuse grin

differentID Mon 28-Sep-09 08:07:44

I hate seeing this. Is as bad as being surgically attached to a mobile phone.

Katisha Mon 28-Sep-09 09:17:55

Why is he so obsessed with these stories? Can he not see it's not really normal behaviour to have to have one on the go the whole time? What does he say about it?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 09:37:40

He thinks it is perfectly fine. He is a book worm, and he likes the fact that he does not have to put it down! He and his brother in USA are members of an audio book club so they download 2 books a month each - i guess its a talking point for them. When he did not listen to this, he would read for hours, he would read while dinner was cooking, he would go outside for a cigerette and spend 30 mins there reading, he would sit in the bath/on the toilet for hours reading, now he does the same, but walks about reading too.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 09:38:36

And when I tell him it is not normal - his response is 'why should I give a shit what normal is? Who says I have to be 'normal'? which I guess is fair enough, if it was not so bloody rude.

Katisha Mon 28-Sep-09 11:10:30

Yes fine we do not have to conform to normality, but being rude is a separate issue, certainly.

And I do think it's dangerous to be completely oblvious to your emvironment at all times. Presumably he doesn't do it while driving or riding a bike or anything?

notyummy Mon 28-Sep-09 11:15:06

Very rude. My DH also listens to audio books, but only when he is either away from us, out running, or pushing DD in the pushcahir to try and get her to go to sleep (i.e deliberately not engaging with her.)

It's great that he likes books, but there are ways of getting your fix without excluding those around you.

marenmj Mon 28-Sep-09 11:43:24

Very rude! YANBU!

DH plays poker on his blackberry and I've had to have a go at him for playing when he is home with us (his excuse: "but we aren't DOING anything, just sitting around the house!" my response: "too bad. When you are here, with us, you must be PRESENT, no matter how boring you may find it; this includes riding on the bus with us and waiting in queues. I do not give two fucks if those are times when you would be playing otherwise. Play with your daughter while you wait or something."

I have taken to pointing out in some ok waiting-moments that now might be an appropriate time to play.

It works because he is starting to identify on his own the times when he can get away with playing that I won't be angry with him. He has been in the habit of just pulling it out any time there is a lull so we are working to break that habit.

Your DH is used to having dual input, so to speak, all the time and will be very bored and possibly even anxious without it, but he needs to understand that not only will you resent him for being "somewhere else" much of the time, his offspring will interpret his distance VERY personally. They will feel that their daddy doesn't love them enough to turn off the book, and that's a real shame, particularly if it isn't true.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now