Talk

Advanced search

To want to get my own back in a REALLY unsubtle way!

(15 Posts)
MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 10:47:55

While at Uni I met and made friends with a small group of people. One of them (who I'll call CJ) I adored, but I was with someone so just enjoyed spending time with him. We had a nice chemistry and an easy friendship - he actually got on well with my then-P too. Then he started going out with a girl I knew, who I was friends with too (or so I thought)

They got together in our last year and I got the distinct impression she didn't want me around. It wasn't something I could do much about, and my fears were confirmed after graduation when I tried to call her and she wa really off with me.

Fast forward a few years and I see her on Facebook and add her as a friend. She is still with CJ. "Bygones" I think. She is a writer and so I refer her to my (then) P who is a publisher and he is now publishing her.

(Yes, this is Mr Handfisted I am talking about grin) and he lets slip that during one of their meetings she said that in Uni she thought I might be trying to "steal her boyfriend"

FFS! So that's how she repays the favour. Cheers, love hmm

Anyway her book launch is on Monday and I would just love to turn up looking drop-dead gorge.

Oh, and it would also be the first time in four months I have seen ex-twunt, who has just been dumped by Mrs Handfisted. Asked me if I wanted him him back. Said no.

When it comes to it, I prob wont. I'd need to get a babysitter etc and neither of them are worth the bother tbh.

But AIBU to WANT to? grin

Drusilla Sun 27-Sep-09 10:54:58

Beacuse she said when she was uni she thought you were trying to steal her boyfriend? I tihnk you are making too much of this

Servalan Sun 27-Sep-09 11:03:52

I think the past tense is important here. Saying she thought in uni you were trying to steal her boyfriend would be very different to her saying that she thinks you're trying to steal her boyfriend now - which I assume she didn't say.

I'd let it go personally.

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:04:37

Yes, probably!

But I was a bit hmm that a)she'd held onto it for all this time and b)that she was trying to essentially badmouth someone who'd tried to help her.

Servalan Sun 27-Sep-09 11:10:39

I know what you're saying, and you could be right, but since you weren't there during the conversation, you wouldn't have heard context / tone of voice / how she feels now etc.

I just think it's not worth getting wound up over second hand information - especially since it doesn't sound like you have an awful lot of time for the person you heard it from.

Drusilla Sun 27-Sep-09 11:13:54

It may have been said in the context of "I thought that when I was at uni but have grown up now and realize it isn't so" IYSWIM

DuelingFanjo Sun 27-Sep-09 11:18:16

You're holding onto it too though aren't you?
I think YABU.

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:18:28

Oh I know its not worth getting wound up over. I think the best way is not to do her any more favours.

I was just venting really. The years have been kinder to me than her anyway (bitchy grin), I am just enjoying the fantasy of turning up and seeing her face as she is clearly a bit insecure about her P.

Best to be the bigger person tho.

colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 11:19:34

go and throw poo at her.

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:20:55

Drusilla, I hope so.
Uni was a happy time compared to the crap I have had of late so I am a bit prickly about it I suppose.

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:21:57

colditz grin
Maybe DD could "accidentally" do it for me.

ginnny Sun 27-Sep-09 11:24:23

Get over it! YABU. If she was insecure about you at uni and thought you were trying to steal her bf why would you want to turn up looking good just to undermine her on what is an important day for her. You sound very self obsessed.
Either you are friends with her or you aren't. If you don't want to be friends with her then don't be, but don't play childish games or you will end up looking spiteful.

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:37:45

Yeees, thats why I'm posting here instead of doing it...

NormaSknockers Sun 27-Sep-09 11:38:16

Seriously? For something that went on in Uni?

Sounds like you're both holding onto it to me, let it go!

MadameOvary Sun 27-Sep-09 11:52:39

OK so thats a pretty comprehensive YES then.
Although the idea of throwing poo has a certain appeal...
I am not going to do it tho. Never was. Obv its about me, not her. Its time to let it go.
I'll have more fun staying in with my DD anyway.

Good to come on and get a useful sense of perspective so thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now