Talk

Advanced search

to think the Daily Mail should SHUT UP about the value of people's houses

(23 Posts)
SomeGuy Sun 27-Sep-09 03:48:33

So I'm sitting there reading the DM online.

It's standard DM fodder 'They all but called me a terrorist ... Muslim woman hits back over race row with hotel couple'

Link

Anyway, I'm reading through thinking 'hmm' and 'uh huh', as it goes through

"The pair are alleged to have said that Mohammed, the founder of Islam, was a warlord and that Muslim dress for women was a form of bondage.
The conversation was heard by several guests at the hotel, which charges £95 a night for a double room.
Mrs Vogelenzang, 54, and her 53-year-old Dutch-born husband, whom sources have described as a 'mild-mannered couple', are members of the Bootle Christian Fellowship and are now receiving backing from the independent lobby group, the Christian Institute.
Mrs Tazi, a former carer and the mother of two sons from a previous marriage, insisted she had done nothing to provoke the incident. "

and then suddenly the next sentence is

"Speaking from her £120,000 terrace house in Warrington, Cheshire"

And I can't read any more. £120,000 is not a fucking adjective.

Argh.

BitOfFun Sun 27-Sep-09 03:56:15

YANBU

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 06:42:34

same as the '£95 a night' hotel and including the ages of the Dutch couple

I think they think includign numbers makes their articles somehow more accurate or believable...

katiestar Sun 27-Sep-09 10:41:09

But that's what newspapers do ,I think it's called 'nominalisation' where you get as much info as possible into the noun phrase so that it saves space. In this instance £120,00 IS a type of adjective called a quantifier

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 10:44:23

it's so you can JUDGE someguy. I mean come ooooonnnnn.

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 10:45:06

the whole paper is about judging other people

am sure that's why they felt the appeal of mumsnet tbh <snigger>

Quattrocento Sun 27-Sep-09 10:49:28

Yes. With the information that the complainant has a £120k terraced house in Warrington, you can put the person in a box with all the other people you imagine you know who live in a £120k terraced house in Warrington.

"Speaking from her £1m regency townhouse in Bath" denotes an entirely different kind of person to one who is "Speaking from her £120k terrace house in Warrington" does it not?

Nasty really

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 10:52:59

yabu

it's more information about the person

that's it

why do you care? are you upset about the grammar? don't understand at all why you would a. care b. copy and paste it c. ask other people what they think

in fact i don't understand why i'm going to press post

MillyMollyMoo Sun 27-Sep-09 10:54:38

I'd be worried about the sanity of somebody who's paid £120k to live in Warrington grin

electra Sun 27-Sep-09 11:03:13

The best thing, generally is not to read the DM at all, unless you want to end up with wrinkles from frowning so much!

Quattrocento Sun 27-Sep-09 11:07:38

See, I would claim to be a person who has never read the Daily Mail. Because it is a revolting newspaper for dimwits who think they are too posh to read real tabloids, but would secretly like to.

But in fact, courtesy of MN, I read the DM ALL THE BLARDY TIME. And it's not good for my blood pressure, you know, all you folks who go around casually and irresponsibly linking to that foul rag.

SomeGuy Sun 27-Sep-09 13:40:07

> I'd be worried about the sanity of somebody who's paid £120k to live in Warrington

I suspect that she didn't. This will be the DM's 'carefully researched' valuation of a house bought for about £15k years ago.

ChunkyKitKat Sun 27-Sep-09 13:51:01

YANBU, it's completely irrelevant. It must be important to DM readers.

foxytocin Sun 27-Sep-09 13:56:44

£120,000 is not a fucking adjective.
LOL. reading this made MN worth reading today my day.

foxytocin Sun 27-Sep-09 14:00:14

"In this instance £120,00 IS a type of adjective called a quantifier"

on a more pedantic note: I thought a quantifier was an adverb. <scratches nut>

StayFrosty Sun 27-Sep-09 14:07:42

lol. yanbu. also liked 'whom sources have described as a "mild mannered couple"'. good old DM unbiased journalism huh?

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:08:28

why read the daily mail - confused?

drpip Sun 27-Sep-09 21:12:52

I'm a bit late on this post, but HAD to reply because this has driven me bonkers before in the past.

I find it particularly unpsetting when they include the house price information when describing a murder or assault etc, because by adding that the victim and family lived in an expensive house they no longer deserve your sympathy.

Aargh!! YANBU

katiestar Mon 28-Sep-09 13:51:19

I think I should have said quantifying advestive not quantifier.

SomeGuy Mon 28-Sep-09 13:56:07

Is an advestive a t-shirt with a logo on?

MichKit Mon 28-Sep-09 14:25:37

Funny you should say that, because I thought exactly the same thing... what does the value of her house have to do with nowt??

MichKit, speaking from her £575 a month rented flat... bah humbug!!

GrendelsMum Mon 28-Sep-09 21:02:21

GrendelsMum, speaking from her £3 million pound Grade II listed manor house in the rolling countryside, laughed merrily at the suggestion that anyone could possibly be interested in anything other than the price of other people's houses.

InMyLittleHead Mon 28-Sep-09 22:26:28

I think the Daily Mail should SHUT UP - end of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now