Talk

Advanced search

To not want every person with 10 items or less to jump the queue in front of me when I've already been waiting 10 minutes?

(27 Posts)
KerryMumbles Sat 26-Sep-09 18:21:22

And everyone asks, oh so politely, "Sorry. Do you mind if I nip ahead of you I've only a couple of metric tons items?"

I mean how can you say no really?

But at some point, say after the 3rd or 4th person it's like having a trolley full pull in front of you.

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 26-Sep-09 18:22:41

I would never dare ask.

A queue is a queue, get to the back!

MaureenMLove Sat 26-Sep-09 18:24:41

I told someone no once! I'd been queuing for ages and I watched this bloke ask at least 5 people if he could nip in front, in our queue. I was next to be served and he came a cropper when he asked me! grin

cornsilk Sat 26-Sep-09 18:25:28

oooh another supermarket queue thread.
Allow one little basket only. It's like letting cars out of a junction. One is polite, two is just silly.

MitchyInge Sat 26-Sep-09 18:25:45

You mean 10 items or fewer innit

thumbwitch Sat 26-Sep-09 18:25:58

The cheek of them! One, yes. The rest, no. You obviously looked like a sucker after the first one.

"Sorry, I've an urgent appointment to get to" might work though.

KerryMumbles Sat 26-Sep-09 18:26:46

no this is for shops, like Aldi that don't have the 10 items of fewer queues.

KerryMumbles Sat 26-Sep-09 18:27:18

lol @ maureen.

differentID Sat 26-Sep-09 18:36:45

sorry, I say no. If you don't have the time to queue, then you don't have the time to pissing well shop!

pregnantpeppa Sat 26-Sep-09 18:41:24

No, agree one basket only! After the first you just say, sorry, someone else has already done that and if I let everyone through I'll never get to the front!

Did this actually happen to you?

ohnelly Sat 26-Sep-09 18:44:41

I would just let one if I was feeling generous otherwise just say sorry im in a rush

KerryMumbles Sat 26-Sep-09 18:44:41

yep. they weren't queueing up one after the other to ask me. Was waiting in queue, one came up, sure, no problem. Couple of minutes later, another and then another....

Tinfoil Sat 26-Sep-09 18:45:55

What I don't like is when you're halfway along a long queue and they open another till. The cashier says "would you like to come round?" and all the people behind you rush to the other till and are served first. Shouldn't the cashier invite the people near the front of the first queue, who have been waiting longest, to go round?

ChilloHippi Sat 26-Sep-09 18:52:28

I would never have the guts to ask and I would say 'sorry, I am in a rush myself' grin

Tinfoil, that is soooo annoying.

katiestar Sat 26-Sep-09 19:45:58

crikey i would never dream of asking ! If I was really rushed I would ask the staff if they could open another till to put it through

Giltz Sat 26-Sep-09 20:32:17

Its nice to be nice but I say one person only, to ask is just fecking cheecky. This really winds me up.

dogonpoints Sat 26-Sep-09 20:35:57

I wouldn't let them

ElieRM Sat 26-Sep-09 20:42:26

I'll offer if there's someone behind me with a few bits, I've bought half the shop and I'mnot in a rush.
Bit if someone asks, and the above criteria are not fulfilled, I'll say no.
Think it's really rude to ask.

mrstimlovejoy Sat 26-Sep-09 21:36:55

i always get in the queue that takes the longest.i was in a queue the other day and they opened another till so i was asked to go to it by the time the cashier had finished fannying around the 2 people that were behind me in the 1st queue had been served bloody typical

AliGrylls Sat 26-Sep-09 21:42:47

It is cheeky - it has never happened to me. Is this something new I need to look for in my local supermarket?

skinnygirlNOT Sat 26-Sep-09 22:31:51

I hate it when I'm in a long queue and somebody with a few items strolls up to the person waiting to be served next and asks them to let them go next angry.

The rest of us have no say and in effect they are pushing in.

ElectricElephant Sat 26-Sep-09 22:34:29

i've never seen this!

Mind you, if I have a huge basket and the person behind me is only paying for a drink I'll tell them to go first (only proper innit wink)

queue jumpers though - gah, they get a bloody telling - the cashiers love it when you tell someone to wait their bloody turn [gein]

ClaireDeLoon Sat 26-Sep-09 22:36:24

I've never been asked this. I think I'd let one person in if there was no-one else behind me to annoy but after that I'd just point out I already let someone in.

But how lovely is it when you get to the queue with one or two things (in places with no basket only or 10 items or fewer checkouts) and the nice person in front of you says 'would you like to go in front of me'.

ClaireDeLoon Sat 26-Sep-09 22:37:14

cross posts ElectricElephant grin

Washersaurus Sat 26-Sep-09 22:40:42

In my local Lidl the checkout staff let people with fewer items past you in the queue to be served first angry. Noone actually asks to queue jump the staff just make a decision and call them in front of you....now that really annoys me.

I do let people in front of me if they have a couple of items and I have lots of items, but I like to have the choice if I am in a queue, otherwise what is the point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now