Talk

Advanced search

to think the insurance company should pay up?

(20 Posts)
oldspeckledtam Fri 25-Sep-09 21:24:35

On our house insurance, I paid extra to ensure our wedding and my engagement ring were properly covered.

In April this year, I lost my engagement ring. Ridiculously, I lost in in my bedroom. My daughter (3) picked it up and when I tried to get it back, she snatched her hand away and it flew off, never to be seen again.

I have torn the bedroom apart and I can't find it. My fingers are tiny and the room was a tip blush and I think these things conspired to make it vanish.

I decided to claim this week as I'm about to turn 30 and wanted to cheer myself up.

After a snotty letter asking why I took so long to claim, the insurers are now refusing to pay up on the grounds that 'it isn't lost, it's misplaced.' If I can't find the damn thing, surely that makes it lost? Why complain about the length of time I took to claim, then say it isn't lost anyway?

It would have been so easy for me to lie and say I'd lost it out and about, but I've told the truth and I'm going to lose out. There isn't a chance we can afford to buy a replacement outright.

I'm so sad. I've never claimed for anything before. Is there anything I can do, do you think? Or am I in the wrong? I wouldn't be trying to claim at all if I hadn't paid extra to ensure my rings were covered.

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 25-Sep-09 21:27:13

Why didn't you claim when you lost it?!

tootiredtothink Fri 25-Sep-09 21:31:41

I can understand why you have taken so long to claim as I assume you were waiting for it to 'turn up'?

Sadly that's probably the reason they won't pay up. If you know for a fact it's in the room somewhere it'll turn up eventually.

My dd lost a ring in her room once - turned up 3 years later when we pulled the carpet up!

tootiredtothink Fri 25-Sep-09 21:32:50

But no, YANBU for feeling pissed off smile.

oldspeckledtam Fri 25-Sep-09 21:33:15

Because I lost in in my bedroom! Wouldn't you be hoping it would turn up? I'd hate to have claimed then found it... But I'm now resigned to the fact that it is gone... Many cleaning and searching sessions later...

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 25-Sep-09 21:35:24

I suppose. Unfortunately insurance companies don't think like that though.

Sorry about your ring.

TeamEdwardTango Fri 25-Sep-09 21:40:25

Have you tried taking up the carpet?!

oldspeckledtam Fri 25-Sep-09 21:46:02

Haven't actually taken it up, but have crawled around the edges checking it's still properly fitted with a vacuum cleaner (with tight over nozzle)to get into the crevices.

I think it's been thrown away or charity shopped. I went on a mission when it went missing and went through a whole ton of 'stuff'. With my fingers being so tiny I must have missed it, somehow.

I could cry when I think about it, I really could. sad

addictedtomn Fri 25-Sep-09 21:56:31

this isnt exactly honest but its something i would do, i would wait a couple of months then put in a new claim for a piece of jewlery with it being lost recently (1-2 weeks ago) out and about. if you've not got any other jewlery on the policy then your wedding ring?

like i said not completly honest but you've paid the insurance and you've lost your ring you now know the terms they will pay out under so i would claim for the same terms.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 25-Sep-09 22:26:30

Many years ago I lost the diamond from my engagement ring. I claimed on the insurance - and two weeks later found the diamond when I was vacuuming the sofa. shock

So there's still hope.

thesecondcoming Fri 25-Sep-09 22:38:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pooexplosions Sat 26-Sep-09 00:15:54

YABU. How can you possibly lose a diamond ring in a bedroom? If you sent it to the charity shop in a bag of clothes I think thats your own fault.
Sorry, harsh I know, but if I owned a diamond ring you can be sure I wouldn't send it to a charity shop........

SomeGuy Sat 26-Sep-09 00:25:14

> How can you possibly lose a diamond ring in a bedroom? If you sent it to the charity shop in a bag of clothes I think thats your own fault.

That's what insurance is for.....

My experience with insurance companies is that they like to say you're not covered, but if you scrutinise the small print and hammer them with it they will pay up.

WetAugust Sat 26-Sep-09 00:35:27

If they do pay and you subsequently find the ring it will be the property of the insurance company.

How would you feel then?

SomeGuy Sat 26-Sep-09 00:40:12

I'd expect she'd feel happy to pay the insurance company back.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 00:51:05

*Guiltily admits that she didn't inform the insurance company that she found the stone*

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 00:51:42

Forgot the blush

thesecondcoming Sat 26-Sep-09 09:40:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oldspeckledtam Sat 26-Sep-09 13:53:02

I would not claim fraudulently.

This whole situation has arisen because I'm telling the truth- the ring WAS lost in my bedroom.

It was a pigsty at the time. I'm not proud of that, but it was.

If they pay up and I find the ring, I would contact the insurance company immediately. I really would.

I'm one of those incredibly honest people. I go back into shops if they give me too much change and correct them if they only scan one of my two items. I couln't live with myself if I took something that wasn't mine.

I have spoken to someone different at the insurers this morning and they've promised to look at my case again. The original man has advised again the claim because I said, "It's definitly in the bedroom." What I meant, and have further explained was that it was definitely LOST in the bedroom. I was trying to be as honest as I could in explaining the circumstances in which it vanished. I didn't want them to think it had been stolen, or that I was telling anything other than the truth.

This is one of those times where being honest is turning out not to be the best policy.

Oh, and pooexplosions- it wasn't a diamond ring. I know it sounds silly that I lost in in my own house, but I really did. It's perfectly possibly if the room is a tip and you have tiny fingers. I have insurance (with my rings specified) as they are the ONLY nice jewellery I own and I wanted them protected. What is the difference between me losing it on the street and losing it at home in terms of insurance payout? One sounds sillier, granted, but in both situations I'm left without a ring and a good deal out of pocket. Why shouldn't they pay?

clam Sat 26-Sep-09 14:04:48

Well, I suppose, technically, it's still in your possession, i.e. in your house. It's just supposition that it ended up in the charity pile. They're not going to pay out on that theory, specially as they would consider that your own fault.

But to look on the bright side, something very similar happened to us. About 7 or 8 years ago, my SIL shook her left hand to show me how wobbly her rings were after having lost weight. Ker-ching! Her wedding ring flew off and landed.... somewhere. We took the entire kitchen apart, moreorless. Went through the bins several times, you name it. When the house was eventually sold, we mentioned it to the buyers, thinking they were bound to replace the kitchen sooner or later and to keep a look out for it if it turned up. Sure enough, a few months later, they rang on the door, triumphantly holding up the lost ring! It had flown across the hob, and just managed to slip down the airgrill at the back of it, landing in the alcove underneath where the microwave was. You could have spent years aiming to have got it down those narrow vents.

So, you never know, it might turn up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now