Talk

Advanced search

To want to give up work?

(21 Posts)
janx Fri 25-Sep-09 14:48:48

I guess I am - but work three days a week with over an hours commute each way...have 2 dcs - dd has just started school and ds is at nursery about 30 mins walk from school. If I drop dd off I won't get to work until 10.30! I am fed up with my job and get really stressed about all the negoiating i have to do with my patronising manager. No-one in my dept of 12 women have children in childcare/school so don't have an understanding of the issues. DP often works out of London, so has an even worse commute...am knackered at the thought of it all. Have arranged some pickups for dd, but it is still complicated with ds.....sorry just wanted a bit of a moan

DrunkenDaisy Fri 25-Sep-09 14:52:19

Moan away. Can you take a day of A/L to chill out and do nice stuff. things often don't seem so bad after that.

WorkInProgress Fri 25-Sep-09 14:57:56

Have a good moan. But do be careful what you wish for. I was in a similar position to you. Now I am a SAHM but in a damp rented house at the opposite end of the country... I am sure it will all work out in the end but it is just as hard work as it was with a proper job !

janx Fri 25-Sep-09 15:02:32

Thanks - wasn't suggesting that SAHM would be an easy option - hats off to those who do it. I just feel tired and knackered and like I am not doing the mum or job bit particularly well at the moment

sarah293 Fri 25-Sep-09 15:03:41

Message withdrawn

WorkInProgress Fri 25-Sep-09 15:08:38

I can so emphasize with feeling you are not doing the job bit or the mum bit well, exactly how I used to feel. But I now worry I am not bringing any money in, or doing the mum bit well, or worrying I am stressing over the DC's too much with nothing to distract me !Hang in there and try and enjoy the life you have and your DC's. And a good moan and a glass of wine does help !

janx Fri 25-Sep-09 15:20:45

No chance of a sabitical - need the money

Malificence Fri 25-Sep-09 15:33:09

Both me and my husband have had enough of our respective jobs and would love nothing better than to quit, unfortunately we have 10 years till our mortgage is paid so we just have to suck it up.
We have both had enough of work, full stop.
I actually quite envy those who've never worked and get everything paid for - damn work ethic!
You wonder sometimes where it gets you.
I'd love to sit around all day and get my rent paid for doing sod all.

Seabright Fri 25-Sep-09 15:57:21

Janx - regarding the money issues, have you used the forums on www.moneysavingexpert.com (I'm on not encouraging defections from MN!)? Try the "Up Your Income" and "Mortgage-Free Wannabees" threads, you might find something to help you.

mumblechum Fri 25-Sep-09 16:09:12

Same here Malificence, I really really hate my job at the moment but we only have 18 months more to pay on the mortgage so when that's finished we'll be £60k a year better off. Haven't told dh yet but I think it'll be a good time for me to pack up myjob and do something nice like, maybe child or youth work related.

You are not alone OP. I don't have littlies any more but well remember how complicated and exhausting it all was.

mumblechum Fri 25-Sep-09 16:10:03

Last time I went to the GP feeling all menopausal she asked if I could take a sabbatical, she'd just had 6 months off.

If only!!

Malificence Fri 25-Sep-09 16:27:12

I know that they say money doesn't bring happiness, but a large lottery win right now would be the answer.
Do you mean £6000 a year better off mc?
£60k would be £5000 a month mortgage!!!!!!shock
All my hubby ever wanted to do was stay in the Air force yet they made him leave in 1995, he's had 6 jobs since then, every one a bit more stressful and hateful, he's really down atm and wishes he could just walk away.
I wish I knew how to help him cope with the stress so he didn't take things so personally - his boss is an idiot and he never knows where he stands, I don't give a monkeys at work but then I don't have the pressure of being the main earner, I only work 14 hours.
I'd happily go full time and let him get a less stressful, lower paid job but I doubt he'd be happy doing anything at all.
He did bomb disposal in Kuwait and says that was preferable to having to go into work every day now!
He was even considering going to Iraq/Afghanistan but I'd much rather have him alive than pay the mortgage off in a couple of years with him risking his life every day

mumblechum Fri 25-Sep-09 16:40:12

Yup that's sixty thousand pounds a year we're paying now <<weep>>

Blimey, bomb disposal - brave guy!

sarah293 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:34:53

Message withdrawn

janx Fri 25-Sep-09 17:36:44

Wow to pay off your mortgage - that must be a great feeling. Dp loves what he does, but does not earn that much and is freelance, so my job even though part time is more secure with a good pension, but am not happy since going back after mat leave in dec.
I too would love to swan around and not work..but it ain't going to happen

Persephoponce Fri 25-Sep-09 17:36:46

Does it have to be that job? Could you find a job nearer to home?

janx Fri 25-Sep-09 17:37:35

I am trying, but it is really difficult to find anything else

Squishabelle Fri 25-Sep-09 17:49:23

shock here too @ £60k per year mortgage.

Greatfun Fri 25-Sep-09 18:05:11

£60k mortgage shock. I am probably pointing out the obvious but could you downsize the house and therefore the mortgage so you can take the stress off a bit. Sorry if that sounds in any way patronising because its not meant too.

mumblechum Fri 25-Sep-09 18:09:13

Are you getting muddled up GreatFun? The OP's mortg. isn't £60k pa (I hope!) And no, Riven, sadly it isn't a palace, just a bog standard house in SE.

janx Fri 25-Sep-09 19:15:46

For the love of god - I have years left on my mortgage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now