Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No to want to to Bloomin Mary Poppins/look at the bright side all the time?!

(3 Posts)
carocaro Fri 25-Sep-09 14:32:53

We are going through a difficult patch at present. Can't be arsed to type why.

But I am getting pretty pissed off and family and friends telling me to look on the brightside / it will all work out / you have a lot to be thankfull for etc etc etc.

I know they are trying to help and be supportive.

I know that and I get it BUT why is it deemed such a bad thing to be pissed off / sad / morose / worried / stressed etc etc.

Those are emotions too and I can't just slip into Mary Poppins mode and be jolly dee that everything will be just fiddly de dee.

I want to be pissed off, angry, fucking furious and the stupidity of it all and the effect its having on us all.

I had to sit with my head out of the bathroom window last night at 4am with a panic attack.

I feel the need to whack the shit out of something with a baseball bat - but I don't have one!

Do you know what I mean?

OrmIrian Fri 25-Sep-09 14:37:42

Yes. I do. Know what you mean.

But having been so anxious and panicky that I was on medication for it I never want to go there again if I can help it. Sometimes it really is best to try and see the best in life. Have a good rant/get pissed/go for a run (delete as appropriate) and then get on with stuff. Perfectly natural to want to express your feelings but do it and then move on.

Leln Fri 25-Sep-09 21:02:52

Yanbu at all.
Only you know how you are feeling and others telling you not to feel that way are missing the point: it is really, really hard to switch off your emotional responses (unless you have 25 years of transcendental meditation under your belt).
Jealousy, fear, anger, disappointment are allpowerful emotions and it is unreasonable to expect to be able to be able to turn them off.....but it is your responsability as a sentient grown-up to control and channel them.
I always find physical activity a good way to wien through anger.
I think you need to find that metaphorical punch bag and go a bit crazy.
Don't let those around you try to negate your emotional responses. Very unhealthy for you.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now