Talk

Advanced search

to expect the Police to do something about a crime that we have solved for them?

(40 Posts)
mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 10:47:57

DP had his bike stolen a few weeks ago. The police told him they would come round and interview him and take a statement, but they didn't turn up. I was not surprised by this at all, as the same thing happened a while back when I had my bag stolen. DP is not very proactive so didn't chase the police up, but sorted out the insurance claim which has now been paid. DP was looking on ebay to find the parts to replace his bike (as he hadn't received the full value of the bike in the payout), and he found that a seller on ebay was selling all the different (rare)bits of his bike (which he had originally bought separately and which he had itemised on his insurance claim). The seller is based nearby to us and has given the option of a pick up. DP phoned the police immediately and put through to a police woman who said someone would visit us in a few days. When DP pointed out that the auction finished in 36 hours she said that someone would come round at about 6pm to speak to us. DP offered to email the ebay link but was told by the police woman that she wasn't very good with technology so it was best to wait for the visit!
We waited all evening. We phoned at 8pm and was told that someone was on their way, but noone arrived. We phoned again this morning and were told that someone would get back to us sometime today!!
AIBU to think that the police should be a bit more bloody proactive! We have information that COULD lead to them preventing further crimes, and cracking down on just the sort of anti-social behaviour that the government keep banging on about. What makes me even more annoyed is that my friend who lives a few streets away had a spot visit from the police a few days ago to discuss any issues she might have. However they do not have the resources to deal with an ACTUAL crime.

CarGirl Fri 25-Sep-09 10:49:55

think I would bid on it go around and ask to view it and then keep it and refuse to pay!

GypsyMoth Fri 25-Sep-09 10:50:56

never heard of 'spot' visits?

overmydeadbody Fri 25-Sep-09 10:52:26

I would also do what cargirl suggested.

If it is his bike he will know and can call the police there and then if the guy gives him hassle.

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 25-Sep-09 10:58:25

It sounds like it has been stripped for parts by the seller. Unless the parts are postcoded or something then there is now way to prove the seller has anything to do with it at all - he could well have just bought the whole thing from the person who stole it in the first place and have no clue of the history of the bike.

TBH, you have not solved the crime to a level the police can act on so I am not surprised they are dis-interested if they can prove nothing they can do nothing... unless of course all the parts are postcoded - but I am guesing not.

mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 11:10:02

Dailymailnamechanger - I see where you're coming from (in fact I had said similar to DP who now thinks he is Columbo smile) BUT as the police haven't even asked us any relevant questions, they would be in no position to make a decision as to whether anything could be done.

BTW, whilst the parts were not all postcoded, one of the parts on ebay was spray-painted a specific colour (ie not as manufactured) and DP has photos and receipts for this.

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 25-Sep-09 11:17:00

Fair enough eve, wrt the spray painting, if your dh could get it done so could someone else - they won't have receipts for it as it "came like that" when they bought it second hand of a "bloke dan da pub - init?" or words to that effect!

TBH, I would either buy the parts with the insurance money so your dh gets it back or I would draw a line under it, at the end of the day you have got your insurance money and there are other crimes out there that are more worthy of investigation (irritating though it is).

PeedOffWithNits Fri 25-Sep-09 11:22:50

someone I know had loads of fencing stolen, looked on ebay and saw some they were sure was theirs, as very local, started emailing seller, asking Qs, as soon as they mentioned they were local and could they collect in person rather than pay courier, the listing was withdrawn, very suss. police not interested!

mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 11:25:46

DMNC - I know you're right realistically, but its just SO infuriating. There is just no deterrant to these sorts of crimes, and the defeatist attitude of the police (and then all of us by default) just makes it easier for the criminals.

nigglewiggle Fri 25-Sep-09 11:27:08

The police should be interested. It sounds like the items are identifiable and it is a hell of a coincidence to have all of them and be so nearby. The seller may well have bought them in good faith, but that is what the police need to investigate.

I would ring back and ask to speak to the duty inspector.

pagwatch Fri 25-Sep-09 11:32:41

I had to phone the police last night. We have homeless drunks sleeping near our house and every evening they get in to fights. There is a particular woman who is always there and who is particularly foul.

Last night i could hear a guy threatening her and hitting her.
I called the police.

I gave them very clear and precise instructions as to where this was taking place.
They called me back about 15 minutes later because they couldn't find the drunks hmm

The problem was that there is a sloped verge at that point in the road. The police could not gather between them the wit to ...er... take the ten steps to the top of the verge and look down the other side.

I explained that they would actually have to look a little as the man beating her was not going to pop his head over and wave.

Still I suppose it isn't the first time that a grassy knowle has confounded law enforcement.

( I was actually quite proud of myself as part of me would really like this woman to get just a smidge of what she dishes out)

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 25-Sep-09 11:36:48

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 25-Sep-09 11:38:57

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 25-Sep-09 11:41:54

Message withdrawn

mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 11:42:35

SOCD - apparently my friend hadn't contacted them at all. It was the comuunity police officer who was apparently doing some local (unannounced!) visits to chat to local residents about their concerns. My friend was quite surprised by it all.
BTW I do not think this is a bad thing, but was wondering if it was the best use of time if they couldn't even look into a crime that HAD happened. Although I understand that crime PREVENTION is important as well.

pinkthechaffinch Fri 25-Sep-09 11:45:44

No,there is such a thing as a 'spot' visit, I had one myself one evening a few years ago. A community support officer knocked on the door one evening and asked me if I was happy witrh the way the (rural) area was being policed.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 25-Sep-09 11:49:30

Message withdrawn

mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 11:52:21

SOCD - thanks for your advice. However, it would have been nice if we'd got the advice from the person(s) we spoke to at our local station (and HQ) rather than from a helpful police MNer!

pagwatch Fri 25-Sep-09 11:52:45

shine smile

We just have a very mixed bag of responses - and this one was particularly awful.

But we have had some spectacularly great help from local police. I get frustrated though by how hampered they seem by procedure and admin.

But I am not a police basher. (I suspect you could get done for that...)

nigglewiggle Fri 25-Sep-09 11:53:38

The spot visit thing is to do with measuring quality of service and it is most likely to be done by a PCSO rather than a police officer. Some forces are trying to keep a track of the public perception of crime and policing in their area, before they get feedback from government surveys.

Unfortunately they do not seem to be doing so well on their call handling for Mumofeve. What police force area are you in?

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 25-Sep-09 11:56:21

Eve, it is pants isn't it and, sadly, ebay just makes the whole thing even easier, even if they only make a tenner off something it is enough for a pack of fags and cost them nothing to do apart from sitting in front of a computer.

Apathy is a problem, people in general tend to be dis-interested in "small" crime like this however, for the police, I sense it is less apathy and more over-load, things have to be dealt with when there is the man power and sometimes there just isn't.

It is not a job I would like TBH, the stress and pressure must be awful!

Pushingonthrough Fri 25-Sep-09 11:57:00

The parts of the bike may not have been postcoded, but surely they will have your dps fingerprints on them?

This must be frustrating for you OP.

SardineQueen Fri 25-Sep-09 12:00:24

YANBU mumofeve.

It's such a shame that the resources aren't there to deal with the "minor" stuff - when you call the police and they don't come, when you have your car broken into and they just give a reference number, when all the smaller things happen and they aren't interested.

As it's the "little" things that make "normal" people feel insecure and vulnerable - but everyone is well aware that these type of complaints are just not interesting.

But of course all the work busting drug rings and pursuing gun runners - while it's all very exciting and high profile and a big deal - isn't the sort of stuff that has an obvious impact on people who aren't immediately involved in it.

Your bog-standard person on the street wants to have coppers around nicking people who drive through red lights and pedestrian crossings and stuff.

IMO.

mumofeve Fri 25-Sep-09 12:01:50

I'm not attacking the police per se. Its not a job I'd like to do! However, something like this just illustrates that crime does actually pay!

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 25-Sep-09 12:02:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now