Advanced search

Why the FUCK hasn't my sister given birth yet?

(105 Posts)
RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 09:53:52

Message withdrawn

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 09:54:36

Message withdrawn

MrsFawlty Fri 25-Sep-09 09:59:02

I'm sorry, I can't say I know much about how these things work but it sounds like a pile of bollocks. I really hope things get moving asap for her, I'd say she'd be well entitled to be getting stroppy (although I doubt she has the energy left!).

Then again, if they were really worried, they would have sorted it out by now, wouldn't they? Either way, it's rubbish, I hope all is well, keep us posted.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 09:59:06

Message withdrawn

LynetteScavo Fri 25-Sep-09 09:59:35

Well, I think it's appauling, but I also think it's standard.
How many weeks is she? It sounds like the baby isn't ready to come out whether it needs to or not.

Must be horrible for all of you. sad

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 09:59:53

Message withdrawn

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:00:35

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Fri 25-Sep-09 10:03:17

The poor woman. She must be shattered.

It is weird if it was so important to be induced then she's left for three days. I hope the baby isn't stressed too.

Do you think you could pop in to at least offer her some support or does she only want her dh around?

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:05:44

Message withdrawn

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:06:57

Message withdrawn

piprabbit Fri 25-Sep-09 10:07:11

Does she need you or DP to get a bit forceful with the staff - insist on her behalf that she gets to see the consultant who told her she needed to be induced? Not shouty or nasty, but very very definite that they MUST ensure she sees him (am assuming it's a him).

StableButDeluded Fri 25-Sep-09 10:08:46

This is similar to my experience, I'm afraid. My waters broke on a tuesday morning, rang the hospital who said to come in. Examined me to confirm eveything, then said I could go home to wait for labour to start. THEN changed their minds & said I had to stay in bwecause baby was not quite in the right position above my cervix (or something like that).

Labour started tuesday evening, went all night with mild pains, then it stopped. Nothing happened all wednesday, AND thursday while hospital debated wether to give me a pessary, or put me on a drip or wait to see if labour started again naturally.

I was incredibly uncomfortable because with no fluid to cushion the baby, he was pressing really hard into my pelvis. I couldn't sit or lie down because of it. I remember leaning my head on the windowsill whilst standing to try to rest my head.

I couldn't pass water because baby was blocking the 'flow' so they kept putting temporary catheters in when I wanted to go, then taking them out again. (not like ordinary catheters, it was painful).
Eventually klabour started Friday morning, but I was so exhausted by then that I was beyond caring. I eventually ended up with emergency C-section friday night because DS was distressed, and because they'd left me longer than the 72 hours after my waters broke , baby and I had to stay in hospital for over a week to have IV antibiotics to prevent infection.

with hindsight I wish we'd demanded they make a decision sooner, but it was our first baby & you just think they know what's best.

I think they need to be told WHY nothing is being done to move labour on. 3 days sounds a long time to be contracting, and if she's lost all the fluid like I did, they really shouldn't leave her longer than 72 hours.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:08:50

Message withdrawn

plantsitter Fri 25-Sep-09 10:09:34

Sounds like when I had DD. Have to say my sister was amazing afterwards, showing me how to breastfeed when the medical staff didn't and defending me from scary midwives (they made me stay in hospital too long after, too)when I was like a limp rag and not my usual assertive (!) self at all - so she will need you once the baby's born probably more than now.

I think a lot of inductions take this long, which is why people prefer to avoid them.

Best wishes and good luck to your sister.

StableButDeluded Fri 25-Sep-09 10:11:37

Mine was consultant-led unit at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:13:42

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Fri 25-Sep-09 10:14:57

I worry that there is little fluid since Tuesday.

"Where there is prolonged rupture of the membranes – more than 18 hours before delivery" ..they need to test for Group Strep B now and administer anti-biotics if needed.

Your poor poor sister.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:21:35

Message withdrawn

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-09 10:30:01

There doesn't seem to be an induction actually going on does there? Has your sister been reviewed at all by her consultant?

If not they need to insist on a meeting NOW and get a birth plan. I think she's just getting lost in the handover from shift to shift.

duchesse Fri 25-Sep-09 10:31:49

Please tell her to get them to do a scan and check the position of the cord!!! This sounds like what happened to me a month ago, with the baby being very tangled up in the cord and utterly unable to reach my cervix despite being well positioned for exit in theory. I utterly failed to respond to induction despite it being my fourth child. The only way out for the baby was C Section. I thought they only used one pessary (24 hours) and then progressed to synto.

duchesse Fri 25-Sep-09 10:32:59

Oh and I also had PROM (96 hours in the end) and baby and I both picked up an infection after three days of ruptured membranes. Baby is absolutely fine now but the whole outcome could have been very different.

StableButDeluded Fri 25-Sep-09 10:36:10

Same as in my post, Waters broke tuesday 9am-ish. Baby not born till Friday night =
more than 72 hours from waters breaking =
longer-than-normal stay in hospital with both DS & me on IV antibiotics.

No one tested me for anything or gave me antibiotics till after the C-section, when it was IV for a week for both of us.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:38:07

Message withdrawn

StableButDeluded Fri 25-Sep-09 10:43:03

She is contracting hard, so it sounds like labour is underway but not progressing. Inductions are just to start labour off, aren't they? (confused emoticon)

Has she been recently examined to see if her cervix is dilating properly?

At least that's one thing they DID do with me once labour started back up, they kept checking to see how I was progressing. I actually went into full labour really quickly once it started, but DS got too distressed.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Fri 25-Sep-09 10:48:52

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now