Talk

Advanced search

To be hacked off with the word "random"?

(13 Posts)
valhala Fri 25-Sep-09 01:16:49

The damn word is over-used and in the wrong context! For me, it seems to have started in DC's school, where every child is now speaking of having a random idea or speaking to random teachers, but now the parents are using it too!

I have no problem with catch-phrases. In my day everything was "savage", be it a great gig, a good idea or a savagely brilliant party but this bloody word "random" is driving me nuts!

Is it just a Southern thing? Is it me and my town? Or are other people's DC randomly using the word random in every random sentence?

Shells Fri 25-Sep-09 01:24:12

I hate it too. And what does it MEAN? I really don't get the way its used. This makes me sound old, I know.

thumbwitch Fri 25-Sep-09 01:36:50

Yes YABTU. It's not the poor word's fault that it is overused and frequently randomly inappropriately applied.

I do agree it is somewhat overused but I haven't really heard it used inappropriately - just used instead of "some", or instead of "weird/ out there/ strange/ new/ inventive/ tangential/ no-idea-where-it-came-from".

valhala Fri 25-Sep-09 01:52:00

Thumbwitch, I'm not blaming the poor word, but the flipping users of it!

I can only randomly conclude that you don't live in my area as if you did you would hear it randomly used in the street, in random houses and by random people all the random ruddy time!

I think I need to move to a remote, random island!

thumbwitch Fri 25-Sep-09 02:25:14

<snurk> - correct - but until 5 weeks ago I did live in the SE of England and didn't hear it all that much. Maybe it is more specific to your area then...
grin

Quite like the idea of a random remote island - take a map, stick a pin in - Bingo! one random destination....

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 25-Sep-09 07:53:51

YANBU
I hate it used as a noun - ie 'I met a load of randoms and went clubbing with them last night'. More used by my peers when we were teens to early twenties, so the misuse has been going on for a while!

beaniebaby25 Fri 25-Sep-09 08:02:26

I hate this too. All my friends keep posting photos on facebook, called 'Random Photos' (how original, and usually with a rogue apostrophe)

NNNNNnnnnngggggggg!!!

<off to pedants corner i must march>

KIMItheThreadSlayer Fri 25-Sep-09 08:08:16

Thats a random think to be unreasonable about grin

KIMItheThreadSlayer Fri 25-Sep-09 08:08:46

thing

LaurieFairyCake Fri 25-Sep-09 08:10:19

It's an Armstrong and Miller word from the sketch with the two airmen.

Must be said in an upper-class accent "Random".

southeastastra Fri 25-Sep-09 08:10:26

never heard it mentioned at all (apart from the lovely mn random) my ds(15) and his mates don't use it.

LissyGlitter Fri 25-Sep-09 08:19:13

Yep, it is everywhere round here. Me and my friends also used to use it, from about our mid teens onwards (I'm 24), but it seems to be dying out in our age group. My 16 year olf sister and her friends seem to use it every other word though! RANDOM LOLZ!!!!111!!111

Persephoponce Fri 25-Sep-09 08:23:13

I love it. I like applying it to people e.g. 'Who was that?' 'Oh, I dunno. A random'. Tickles me.

My friend has stretched it to 'Randomers' (a group of random people), which I love. The English language is so amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now