Talk

Advanced search

To think that on the whole...

(62 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 24-Sep-09 22:01:49

schools have the best interests of children at heart and teachers are intelligent and reasonable people who genuinely do their very best for all their pupils?
Because it hasn't felt like that on Mumsnet for the past couple of weeks.
There has been a flood of posts from people who are outraged, disgusted, appalled and furious by one aspect or another of their children's education.
You would swear they were sending their children off to be educated by the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
I always though parents and schools were meant to be a partnership and, frankly, I am gobsmacked by the suspicion, mistrust and downright hostility towards school displayed in some of the posts I've been reading lately.
I can't imagine how the teachers on here must feel at times.

Plonker Thu 24-Sep-09 22:04:59

I love my children's school.

I, and they, are very happy smile

I know what you mean though ...depressing at times, isn't it?

golgi Thu 24-Sep-09 22:05:42

I read those threads with a slight feeling of "I hope that's not me they're talking about" - it hasn't been so far though. Phew.

AnyFucker Thu 24-Sep-09 22:08:04

< stands up and applauds Lady >

well fucking said

and I am not a teacher

echofalls Thu 24-Sep-09 22:09:23

I think the real problem is that some parents don't know how a school operates. Agree that it is a partnership between home and school, if anyone has a problem they should address it with their school. Also children do have a tendency to elaborate on what actually happens in school too.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 24-Sep-09 22:12:41

Yes, but you read a lot of supportive stuff too. It balances it all out I think. I was a teacher.

Dianne35 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:19:28

Well said Lady, though I'd urge not to take it to heart too much, as folk will often come onto forums like these to vent, far more rarely to come on and praise good work and performance from their schools/teachers.

I usually need to take a wee step back when it comes to my son's nursery too, before I go off on one about things going wrong (e.g. sore bottom from not being cleaned properly when a baby, kids hitting and not being disciplined), as I've maybe had four or five occasions to complain about something when my son has been going there for three and a half years, three full days a week! Not bad going, I think!

I think it's too easy to get things out of proportion when it comes to our kids, we're all a bit paranoid about their health/wellbeing/nutrition/education, mainly due to the media, I think.

notnowbernard Thu 24-Sep-09 22:21:13

YANBU

bradsmissus Thu 24-Sep-09 22:27:31

I agree entirely. Although one of the teachers at DSs school does look like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!!
(He is the nicest teacher in the school too)

Digress.

DS started reception last week and he has had a few days of tears. Everyone has been great. And DD who is in yr 6 seems to be getting on better and better every term.

I have absolutely no complaints about either fo our schools.

HerBeatitude Thu 24-Sep-09 22:35:10

oh calm down it's september.

There are always a spate of education based threads at this time of year. Children are starting new schools, new classes, meeting new teachers, lots of new problems and lots of new issues to post about.

It's not that surprising really. By Christmas everyone's settled down.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Thu 24-Sep-09 22:38:16

As in all things, people rarely think to make a post about the good stuff that happens in life, usually the bad stuff we need to vent.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 24-Sep-09 22:47:27

It's the immoderate language that gets me though. Nobody's ever a bit peeved or mildly annoyed anymore. They're "furious" or "fuming" or "outraged".
Which is very understandable when, say, the school has badly mishandled a bullying incident, but less so when your child came home with a yellow-band book when she should have had a green.

motherlovebone Thu 24-Sep-09 22:49:17

imagine coming home with a blue banded book.
id be devestated.

motherlovebone Thu 24-Sep-09 22:51:49

sp!

ronshar Thu 24-Sep-09 22:53:04

It is soooo very serious. Reception being such an important yearhmm.
Not sure that Mensa looks at 4/5 year olds!

Well said Lady.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 24-Sep-09 22:53:31

I'm putting you back on pink band MLB. Tell your mum to see me if she has a problem with it.

AllotmentMum Thu 24-Sep-09 23:02:13

I find the opposite at my kids's school, in that its the teachers who are always moaning. When I arrive hot and sweating at the school gate, having peddled desperately to get there in time, and having been up since 5a.m. with small children, got kids off to school, gone on to work, cycled a 14 mile round trip and worked very hard for 6 hours in between, and now I've got another 5 hours to go before I'll even be able to sit down, I can't believe it when I'm met by a 22 yr old who has only been back at work 2 weeks after her 6 weeks off, saying how tired she is and what a rough time she's having. I don't doubt that teachers work hard, but why do they always moan so much, and if they don't like it why don't they leave and do something else?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 25-Sep-09 17:20:08

shock at your children's teacher Allotmentmum. But in 10 years of collecting children from school I have NEVER encountered a whinging teacher at the classroom door. So IME they don't "always" moan so much.

OtterInaSkoda Fri 25-Sep-09 17:24:04

lol @ motherlovebone . I'd be discusted grin

YANBU though, Lady. I do suspect it's the September thing though (am fairly new to MN though so this is a guess).

hullygully Fri 25-Sep-09 17:26:39

Apart from all the young robot teachers who have exactly the same spooky behaviour controls and vocab.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 25-Sep-09 17:29:04

ssh, Hully, nobody's supposed to know about those.

hullygully Fri 25-Sep-09 17:30:37

But they're everywhere, and they have ZERO general knowledge.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 25-Sep-09 17:33:18

DD3 has an adorable NQT this year. Not a robot at all. More like a Disney princess.

MorrisZapp Fri 25-Sep-09 17:34:18

Allotmentmum, you like a good moan yourself. Why don't you just pack in your current lifestyle if it's so bad?

hullygully Fri 25-Sep-09 17:34:20

That's the other type.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now