Talk

Advanced search

to think its ok for mums to be in male changing rooms at swim lesson

(14 Posts)
mumtojames Thu 24-Sep-09 21:51:07

a new sign went on the male changing room door, saying No ladies, that if your boy was unable to get dressed/undressed himself then you should use the female changing rooms. most of the lessons are for children up to no more then maybe 9years at this time, no teenagers or anything. so now the ladies changing room if jam packed! most mums were fed up by this. what do you think?
its mainly communal changing, only 2-3cubicles available.

llareggub Thu 24-Sep-09 21:56:57

YABU

maggiemoon Thu 24-Sep-09 21:57:53

that advice sounds right to me. And vice-versa for dads/ daughters

Toffeepopple Thu 24-Sep-09 21:59:05

Is it only children changing? Or could there be men in there changing to go in with their children?

It sounds weird to me. Wouldn't want a man to come into the ladies when I am changing to take DD is during DS's lesson!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Sep-09 22:00:31

If your son cannot manage by himslf then you should take him into the female changing room.

YABU to be in the male changing rooms with him - what about other (male adults) who wish to use them at the same time? How would you feel if there were dads in the female changing rooms when you went for a swim? I know I wouldn't be happy.

ronshar Thu 24-Sep-09 22:02:10

Surely if a child cant dress themselves then they should accompany whichever adult is with them.
Most Gyms have a 7 years and above policy.

How would all those mums feel if all of a sudden lots of men came in and started changing? Probably be upset about that as well!
yabu.

squeaver Thu 24-Sep-09 22:03:43

No. Changing rooms are for adults with accompanying children. So small girls go with daddy to the men's. Small boys go with Mum to the ladies'.

Why would it not be like this??

yabu.

cazzybabs Thu 24-Sep-09 22:04:14

YABU...if he needs help take him into the ladies.

Would you be happy with a Dad in the ladies with his daughter?

hatwoman Thu 24-Sep-09 22:04:56

yabu to expect to be able to go into the men's changing but y would not bu to write and complain that the changing facilities are inadequate.

thirtypence Thu 24-Sep-09 22:05:23

I used to get ds to run into the male changing room and put his undies on, and then I did everything else in wide communal area outside the changing rooms.

At our pool you can only go in the female change rooms until you are 5 (because the girls like to get changed without having a million boys around). He is quicker and more reliable now and so I send him in with his clothing. The only mums that go in are the ones whose ds is taking forever and they are now running late.

Ds get changed all by himself at school. I don't think it's a big deal - consider yourself lucky that you are able to supervise them in the changing rooms at all.

mumtojames Fri 25-Sep-09 18:03:18

no there are no adults swimming or teenage lessons. just primary school kids lessons. i think its all abit ott, all the mums went in with the boys usually about 6-7 of us, but now inly 1dad in there with the boys whose mum would trust them to behave and get sorted - and not take AGES!!
but the girls changing is now very full, and if i had a 7-9yr girl would i want boys in my changing room??

LynetteScavo Fri 25-Sep-09 18:06:28

YABU...I was once asked to leave a female changing room in Spain because I was chaning a 4 year old boy.

I was told we could use the mens. I did once, never again! Hideous!

TheFoosa Fri 25-Sep-09 18:25:52

we just have cubicles here, none of that gender segregating nonsense

brummiemummie Fri 25-Sep-09 21:44:24

YABU. You wouldn't want a man to come into the Ladies with his DD, would you? And I'm sure most of the older boys who were changing in the mens' would be embarrassed that there were women in there.

How old is your DS?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now