Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when people phone you on their mobile from noisy/ busy places while they're doing something else?

(5 Posts)
whippet Thu 24-Sep-09 16:19:39

Or when they're walking somewhere?
Or half busy doing something else?

I don't know why, but it irritates me and I find it soooooo rude.

A bloke to do with work just phoned me - it was about a project, so not just a 'chat' IYSWIM, and first of all he was walking somewhere, so all breathless, and saying 'hang on a moment, I'm just crossing a road' and then it became obvious that he was at his son's school, and there was lots of background noise/shouting and I could hardly hear him, and then he stopped mid-sentence as he was clearly attending to something else...

Is it just me, or do you think it sends a message of 'this conversation isn't important enough for me to sit down and give it all my attention, so I'm fitting it in around other (more important hmm) things'?

He obviously thought he was being really efficient in HIS use of time, but wasted much more of MY time!

I also find it really rude when you're talking to someone in the passenger seat of your car and they stop the conversation when their mobile rings to have a long chat with the person who has phoned them. Unless it's an emergency etc, in that situation I'd always say 'can I give you a call back, I'm with X at the moment'.

Also, dare I suggest shock that it's blokes who do this more than women??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 24-Sep-09 16:32:26

A chap I used to know would call me while he was driving - hands free of course - which I found really difficult as I'm a little deaf and the background noise was too great for me to understand him.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 24-Sep-09 16:32:44

So, YANBU, of course.

Dianne35 Thu 24-Sep-09 16:38:20

Yes, it does get on my nerves too! Gave up on speaking to one of my pals on the phone as she would continually break off without notice to start a conversation with her kids, totally losing the thread of any conversation! I usually make my phonecalls when my hubby is watching my wee boy or once he's in bed, as it's not really fair on him or on the person at the other end of the phone to be having several conversations at once!

onthepier Thu 24-Sep-09 21:33:29

YANBU! My friend, for some reason normally phones me when she's on the computer. She starts a conversation and then it's,

"Whoops, sorry, doing something on E-bay. OMG how do you list these damn things?" Or it's, "Sorry, say that again, I was just laughing at so-and-so's new facebook status!"

It winds me up every time but as I've never let on that it annoys me, she obv doesn't see it as an issue. One of these days I'll make my feelings known!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now