Talk

Advanced search

You seem preoccupied.Are you Ok?

(36 Posts)
jardy Wed 23-Sep-09 20:39:48

A colleague often asks me if I am ok,or she says I seem preoccupied,do I need to talk.
Along with `You look tired`does anyone else hate certain remarks or questions?

nickytwotimes Wed 23-Sep-09 20:40:54

I hate 'You look tired' unless it is someoone close saying it.
Otherwise it is a bit rude.

CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 20:42:12

Just reply-
Oh, sorry...my anal warts are giving me jip'

She won't ask again

pranma Wed 23-Sep-09 20:43:00

I had cancer a couple of years ago.I am fat cos of chocolate and idleness.I hate it when people say .'ooh have you lost weight?'They think they are being kind but it terrifies me and I have to keep eating more chocolate so that I stay fat and not look as if the c word is back sad

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 23-Sep-09 20:44:21

Oh yes. "Don't you look well!" Always means cor you've put on weight. You look a right heifer.

wuglet Wed 23-Sep-09 20:45:05

God how I hate you look tired.

I know I do I have been up half the night with my friggin' teething toddler!

I wish people would just lie and say "My don't you look fresh and alert today!" then at least I could kid myself that the make-up is doing the job.....

</rant>

feedthegoat Wed 23-Sep-09 20:45:59

'Cheer up, it might never happen' from random strangers who have no idea whay might be happening in your life drives me insane.

Your colleague sounds nosy tbh!

elliepac Wed 23-Sep-09 20:46:37

people who constantly say cheer up....just because i haven't got a great cheesy grin on my face 24/7 does not mean i am unhappy.

TheFoosa Wed 23-Sep-09 20:46:42

my mate at work saya "you look like shit today"

PortBlacksandResident Wed 23-Sep-09 20:48:25

I hate "what's wrong - you look stressed"

"No i'm fine thanks"

"no you do, cheer up"

"i'm fine really, i'm really cheered, i feel fine"

"cheer up then, you look really stressed"

"FUCK OFF" (in my dreams)

jardy Wed 23-Sep-09 20:49:07

Yep its the nosy bit that worries me.Suspect she wants some little gems to pass on .....

Ponders Wed 23-Sep-09 20:49:39

"do I need to talk"

Is she a "trained counsellor" by any chance?

<gnash>

BustleInYourHedgerow Wed 23-Sep-09 20:53:13

Oh Yes. Worse is random people saying it. Customers in work: Cheer up!
No I won't. I want to go home and you are one of those idiots who gets their basket to the checkout, waits until everything is checked through the till, reaslised they've forgotten to get gravy granules (Oh no!), returns with said granules (and some fabric conditioner) after holding up the queue for 10 minutes and pays with vouchers and extra slow credit card. Everyone in queue is now extremely narky. NO I WILL NOT CHEER UP!

YANBU by the way

PortBlacksandResident Wed 23-Sep-09 20:56:39

Bustle - nothing worse than the Great British Public!!!

Fab name by the way - 'don't be alarmed now'.........

BustleInYourHedgerow Wed 23-Sep-09 21:13:25

TY Port...Nosy cousin recognised my name on this....grrr had to change...

"So you're on a diet then?"

"Wha?" (Would not tell nosy cousin, whom I try to avoid at all costs...)

"You post on MN under your cat's name."

Grrr.

BustleInYourHedgerow Wed 23-Sep-09 21:15:00

Just realised nosy cousin will probably see this shock

StayFrosty Wed 23-Sep-09 21:17:31

Ooh, I hate 'you look tired' as well. a) it is shorthand for 'you look like a bag of shite'; and b) wtf are you supposed to say to it? 'oh I'll just go and have a nap then'? Except you're at work so you can't. It's like the world's least helpful remark.

MmeLindt Wed 23-Sep-09 21:23:22

When DH answers the phone he is often asked, "Oh, sorry. Did I waken you."

At any time of the day.

Just because he does not leap to the phone and shout "Good morning, isn't it a fantabulous day today, DH here, what can I dooooooooooo for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

I also hate, "you are looking well". Google Translate tells me that means, "My God, look at the size of your arse, you haven't half put the beef on"

Sidge Wed 23-Sep-09 21:27:10

I hate being told I look tired.

I want to reply with any of the following:

1. Yes I am knackered, I spent all night having wild sex with a 19 year old lifeguard I picked up in the pub.

2. I actually had 14 hours sleep I just forgot to put my makeup on.

3. You'd be tired if you had to live my life. (then proceed to spend 10 minutes whinging about how hard life is)

I imagine any one of these would guarantee a quick exit by the other person! grin

ineedalifelaundry Wed 23-Sep-09 21:33:00

shock I didn't know "you are looking well" meant you'd put on weight. Tons of people have said that to me since I had dd. I thought they really meant it! I was deluded blush

MmeLindt Wed 23-Sep-09 21:39:27

ineedalife
Maybe it does not always, but since I have put on weight a lot of people have said it to me.

That or, "have you lost weight? You are looking well"

hanaboo Wed 23-Sep-09 21:47:16

ooooh, i hate "smile" from random strangers when i'm just walking down the road, what am i supposed to do? walk around with a big grin? i'd look like a crazy woman... who smiles while walking? i just don't get it...

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 23-Sep-09 22:26:00

my soon to be ex boss is always telling me i look tired.

no bloody wonder working for you you twat...is what i really want to say. but i dont. i am however leaving at the end of the month..i have nothing to lose if he says it again....

thesunshinesbrightly Wed 23-Sep-09 22:56:36

i was pregnant with my daughter and this woman i knew came up to me and said "god you look like shit"(not friend just someone i know) shock

She bare in mind - is going bald, fat and doesnt at all look well.

i would never say anything like that to anyone cause it's fucking rude.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 23:04:26

"no I'm not farking ok now piss off"

well that's what runs through my mind when I see this thread title just now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now