Talk

Advanced search

to not do DS2's homework with him???

(9 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 18:59:53

he got it last week, not sure when it's due in. They don't tend to give much homework at all in the infant school and I remember when DS1 was there it sometimes didn't even seem to be looked at.

He's in year 1 and they've been learning about toys, and what toys people used to play with compared to today.

He brought home a sheet last week that we're supposed to help him fill in.

They have to ask one of their parents what toys they played with, what they were made of, and other associated questions, and also a grandparent.

Grandparents is tricky I rarely speak to my parents, and FIL, although he's in the UK at the moment so contactable easily isn't really going to have anything vageuly relevant to add to it. He grew up in rural Zimbabwe........toys were the things around you in the world.

As for the parents, he can't ask DH at the moment, and I'm struggling to remember what day of the week it is let alone what toys I played with when I was little.

School know what's being going on (brief synopsis for those that haven't seen my thread - last Tuesday DH, whose mental health I'd had concerns over for months, had a psychotic episode and strangled me, he's in a pysch hospital where he's been diagnosed with pyschotic depression - and obviously I'm here on my own tring to look after the house/boys and get over the experience myself).

So AIBU to not make him do it. I'm usually quite strict about homework, and he hears me bugging DS1 (9) constantly about his.......

Alambil Wed 23-Sep-09 19:02:54

Nope, leave it - compassionate permission to ignore all pointless and not even looked at homework at 6yrs old granted

abbierhodes Wed 23-Sep-09 19:04:49

You see, I think your FIL's contributions about Zimbabwe would be very interesting, rather than irrelavent.

Your personable circumstances would excuse you from anything imo, that all sounds awful.

But it wouldn't be that hard to do would it?And it might 'take your mind off things'?

Sorry if that's insensitive, I totally understand where you're coming from though.

Coca Wed 23-Sep-09 19:08:01

Obviously you are not having the best time of it but I would check with him if he wants to do it. I "let" dd off her homework once only for her to come home from school in tears because she had nothing to contribute in the lesson. Agree the contrast of grandparents "toys" in Zim would be interesting.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 19:15:25

knowing many of his classmates very well (have been friends with their parents for years) - I'd say that the concept of "toys" in Zimbabwe would go so alien to them it would make no sense at all. Most of them are still trying to get their head around the fact that people played with balls and wooden hoops in this country - and Zimbabwe could be on the moon for all they care (they are lovely children - its just well, they're only 5/6yrs old).

Plus FIL - as absolutely lovely as he is - does talk a lot on the phone, I can see that the 8 questions on that sheet would easily take us an hour or more to get through - and it would be me asking the questions anyhow as DS2 wouldn't be able to write down what he says (partly due to the fact that DS2 had some difficulty understanding FIL's English - which is very good just very strong accent - when he was standing in front of him let alone down the phone).

He's said he'd do it - but he'd sit and attempt SATS papers if you gave him the chance. I'll be very suprised if they discuss their homework in class - DS1 never did with that teacher (or if he did he never once told me about it).

I just feel bad about the propsect of him not doing it, yet really don't feel up to doing it with him. The only thing I can think off that I played with when I was a child was "Guess WHo"...........which DS2 has

Alambil Wed 23-Sep-09 19:18:21

what about making it up? <bad mum>

Coca Wed 23-Sep-09 19:20:42

It's year one homework, don't stress.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 19:22:34

Lewis you mean for FIL

What was your favourite toy: A stick

Did it have a name: Yes a stick

What did it look like: A stick

What was it made of: Wood

What other toys did you play with: Mud and Water

What games did you play with: made games up

What games did you play at school: Hunt and torment the lizards (well that's what DH used to do)

Where did you play outside: In the dust/mud

Did you have any toys that moved or made noises: Yes the lizards we chased

Did you watch television: No

What was your favourite programme: N/A

Alambil Wed 23-Sep-09 19:26:22

no, I mean from you - so it's a little bit more westernised (hate that term, can't think of another)

Favourite toy - dolly
name - Jane
looks - small, dressed in a purple dress
made - material and plastic, like Annabel nowadays
Others - lego, girls world head thing,
games - guess who
games at school - it, chase, football
where outside - in the park / street / field
move/made noises - errr pass
telly - yes
prog - blue peter

there, done xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now