Talk

Advanced search

Seriously though is this that bad?

(66 Posts)
coolma Wed 23-Sep-09 18:04:37

About once a week, if I'm particularly a) fraught b) tired c) in a frame of mind which would contemplate screaming loudly; I give the children fish fingers, oven chips and beans. Since becoming a mumsnet contributor (well terrified and inadequate reader mainly) I am feeling horribly guilty about this. Please tell me it's ok.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 23-Sep-09 18:05:32

it's ok .....

really...

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 18:05:38

It's ok. Don't listen to MN food snobs.

Think about what is in the food you're giving them. Fish - good. Potatoes - good. Beans - good. It's a balanced meal and easy to make and the children enjoy it.

spongebrainmaternitypants Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:06

Lol, my DS has just finished his tea of fish fingers, baked beans and mashed potato - I'm sure it's not doing him any harm grin.

englishpatient Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:27

It's fine.

PeachesMcLean Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:37

My goodness what do you think we're all like.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:51

It is definitely okay as I am the fussiest person ever about what my kids eat and they sometimes get that for tea.

mazzystartled Wed 23-Sep-09 18:07:22

whyever would it not be ok?

CuppaTeaJanice Wed 23-Sep-09 18:07:22

fish = protein
potato = carbohydrate
beans = fibre

Sounds perfectly healthy to me grin

If it helps, I had fishfingers and beans every school dinner for 11 years and I'm still alive!!!

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 23-Sep-09 18:07:29

Message withdrawn

bigchris Wed 23-Sep-09 18:07:33

only once a week?!! lol mine have that about 3 times a week

TheFoosa Wed 23-Sep-09 18:08:30

you do know that no-one can see you?

TheFoosa Wed 23-Sep-09 18:09:12

bloody love fish fingers

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 18:09:47

Yum. I like fish fingers.

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 18:10:30

Ah i think you are just normal hun - we all get stressed and 'give up' and take the easy route sometimes.

As long as they know they are loved, get a decent amount of fruit and veg as well as the rest of a balanced diet don't beat yourself up to much.

Sometimes i get really stressed with my DD (who is 3.5) i find it best to go into another room and chill for 5 - compose myself and come back in with a calmer approach. And for dinners i try to get most of the week through on good healthy dinners and then 1 days or 2 days a week we can all have takeway or pizza and unhealthy treats, lol.

I think far too many people judge on here, and tbh even though some are preaching that they do or don't do certain things and are completely saintly and the best parents ever it is not always so behind the scenes. Worrying what the others will think will only drive you deeper into guilt. Don't worry hun, just follow your own rules! Big hugs!

SardineQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 18:11:17

Since they have reduced the salt and sugar and fat contents in many/most baked beans, fishfingers and oven chips, this meal is now pretty much the worldwide template for top child nourishment smile

Eeek Wed 23-Sep-09 18:14:57

fish finger sandwiches. Yum!

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 18:15:25

Lol, wrote that before seeing the other posts, i think this lot are all right (as you can see they are not the food snobs that are about too - just normal like me and you) grin

My fave is a fry up breakfast once a week - i mean a proper greasy spoon type fry up. Or lost of crispy chicken skin from a roast. As long as we all get our fruit and veg (not always 5 a day but i do try) then i am a contented mummy grin wink

Laquitar Wed 23-Sep-09 18:17:43

It is the way you describe it.

Call it 'fish served with potatoes a la lazyn and pulses in tomato sauce' grin

Feeling better now? wink

dogonpoints Wed 23-Sep-09 18:17:44

Keep off mn. You'll be fine.

SardineQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 18:18:21

Also tomato sauce v good for you indeed. In fatc, isn't there even a rhyme about beans being good for the heart or something? wink

GoldenSnitch Wed 23-Sep-09 18:18:21

I do this too. I even buy reduced sugar and salt beans and Omega 3 fishfingers to try to lessen the guilt a bit..

Pasta and those little My Dolmio pouches of sauce are another of my 'last straw' day meals blush

Loosingmymind Wed 23-Sep-09 18:18:23

I'm so glas you said that bigchris I really didn't want to admit that on my own!!!

pagwatch Wed 23-Sep-09 18:18:34

I give my DD fish fingers every Friday.

Being the type that never looks at the school menu it wasn't until the end of year one that I realised that she has it at school too.

Shoot me and shoot me again grin

mwff Wed 23-Sep-09 18:18:36

lol i'm one of those dreaded lentil weavers and mine have this at least once a fortnight. i do try to talk them out of having ketchup and mayo for dunking, but i can't say i try that hard...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now