Talk

Advanced search

To think that people should sometimes be a bit more supportive and positive?

(88 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 23-Sep-09 17:15:17

an example:

We have had a hell of a building nightmare. We have, to cheer ourselves up, decorated our front room, almost done, we spent a long time prepping walls, repairing damage to ceiling, changing light fittings, cutting in carefully.

Because we have not chosen 'beige', neutral or a variety of, which appears to be the trend at the moment with our friends, not one person appears able to say 'your room is looking lovely'.

the comments are:

oh, I thought you were doing all the wall that colour?

You are doing all the wall that colour? oh.

Yes, its nicer than I thought it would be

Well it makes the room look bigger at least.

Blue? interesting choice?

Yeeees, lovely.

We have had so much headache and lived in such chaos that just something positive to recognise how hard we are working to rectify our tip of a home would be appreciated.

I know its not about anyone else, its about us and if we like it. I just would sometimes like my friends to not be so honest, and just say 'looking lovely' without any opinions, or tones.

Excuse me for being sensitive but its starting to get me down. This is not the only thing. I just one person, to come in and say ONE nice thing umprompted about my home.

justaboutautumn Wed 23-Sep-09 17:16:28

Message withdrawn

Tee2072 Wed 23-Sep-09 17:17:28

Its lovely. I love it. grin

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 17:17:47

Maybe you have shockingly bad taste and they're trying to do the best they can instead of blurting out, 'OMG, this is the tackiest thing I've ever seen!' or 'How can you do that to a perfectly good house?'

Sorry!

YABU.

If you like it, sod everyone else. Enjoy it.

MummyDoIt Wed 23-Sep-09 17:17:47

Post a picture and we'll all be complimentary. Even without seeing it, I applaud you for getting the job done. My upstairs is an absolute tip as I need to decorate two bedrooms, need to get wardrobes and am living in a chaos of garment rails and boxes. I am full of admiration (and envy) for anyone who has finished a room.

MadreInglese Wed 23-Sep-09 17:18:35

It must be disheartening when you've worked so hard on it, but it's your room, if you like it then don't worry - you're always going to get some raised eyebrows if you don't choose magnolia

MaureenMLove Wed 23-Sep-09 17:19:09

hmm But it's what Pav wants!! I've got a red front room and an orange kitchen and I couldn't give a flying fig whether anyone else likes it or not. I like it, DH likes it and DD likes it. We are the important people and sod everyone else!!

claricebeansmum Wed 23-Sep-09 17:19:30

Bold choice but I like it. Good choice of light fittings if I may say. Nice floor.

ineedalifelaundry Wed 23-Sep-09 17:20:23

I think I prefer people to give honest opinions.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 17:21:29

I'm firmly in the calming, soothing, light-reflecting, zen-like camp myself.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 23-Sep-09 17:23:23

justabout - no I don't think so, I think they are all boring shits who are too afraid to try something different.

It not that outlandish. It is a very very sunny bay windowed front room painted white, with currently www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourSchemeHandler?name=lost_lake this colour in the recesses of the fireplace. There is no fireplace anymore, but will be a beautiful carved mantle shelf over a space where the fireplace used to be. that is painted white (ie chimneybreast) but will be same as the rest of the wall as we think it will look nicer. We have a rattan Ikea lampshade, and same colour wooden floorboards. It is not offensive, not horrendously coloured, just not dull!

tee why I thank you grin.

I knew i was probably being unreasonable, but am feeling sorry for myself!

I would put u

justaboutautumn Wed 23-Sep-09 17:24:18

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 17:25:14

Oh, I was looking at a Dulux catalogue and saw this colour today!

I think it's a good accent wall colour.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 23-Sep-09 17:25:39

Oh and I have a dark brown leather sofa, ikea glass tv stand.

I will post pictures once DH has finished putting up the computer table.

nickelbabe Wed 23-Sep-09 17:25:40

when i bought my first house i painted the front room midnight blue (yes, actually midnight - almost black, but not) and then spent nearly a week gluing planets and stars (glitter applied with a gluey sponge) etc all over it. threw in a couple of space rockets and satellites.
the front door was painted silver with NASA down the side.
when you walked in from the street, the idea was you stepped out of a space rocket onto a planet (brown carpet) looking into outer space.

it was brilliant and i loved it.
very peaceful and calming.

my point being that if you love it, don't listen to anyone else's opinion.
it's you that's living in it, not them.

nickelbabe Wed 23-Sep-09 17:27:08

i've just checked out the colour : that's gorgeous.
very sea-breezy

that blue should be fantastic with the brown sofa.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 23-Sep-09 17:28:44

See - normally I would say sod em too, but things have been so stressful, I am just a bit fed up of people saying, 'oh thats bad' 'oh, no, thats not good' 'is it meant to be like that?' 'blimey that looks shit doesn't it?', and we had bloody mustard walls and yellow curtains and a hideous B&Q fireplace before we ripped it out.

I just want a bit of recognition from my friends at how hard we have worked during what has been a really really really stressful time (builder destroyed our loft, pretty much).

So, no I don't want honesty. I don't want it. I want them to bloody lie and make me feel better grin Just this bloody once.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 23-Sep-09 17:30:37

That's a lovely colour. The room will be lovely. Pay no attention to the comments.
When we bought our first house we painted the front room a deep terracotta (sponge effect because this was the late eighties and Jocasta Innes was our bible).
My sister walked in took one look and said - "hmm, difficult."
We also did the bathroom in yellow and lilac stripes (took ages) but that's another story.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 17:30:43

And then nickelbabe got put into rehab shortly after the police found the crack pipe, and when she came home she realised the real danger of drugs is that they can make you commit crimes of the atrocity magnitude to your home.

MorrisZapp Wed 23-Sep-09 17:31:45

I loathe and detest blue in a house. But I would still like/ love my friends and family if they painted their houses blue.

That's what matters, not that they share your taste in decorating.

My sister was a bit cutting about my chosen bedroom wallpaper (granny-ish Laura Ashley stuff) but who cares - I love it so much I can't make myself get up in the morning smile

nickelbabe Wed 23-Sep-09 17:33:24

thanks expat.
grin

it really was brilliant: i wish i'd taken photos.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 23-Sep-09 17:33:27

expat exactly - its an accent wall, its not the whole bloody room! (although I loved the colour on the wall in the sunlight so much and it went on with a brush so lovely I almostgot carried away wink

nicklebabe it does - it looks excellent!

for all those massaging my damaged ego...have a chocolate grin

claricebeansmum Wed 23-Sep-09 17:33:32

LOL expat.
Nickelbabe did you sell house with that decor?

sarah293 Wed 23-Sep-09 17:33:36

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 17:33:57

Why blue, Morris? Any particular reason?

I had to stop watching 60 Minute Makeover after eating because it felt like showing up at a bad taste convention utterly rat-arsed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now