Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off at this complete stranger?

(12 Posts)
YummyorSlummy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:22:51

Who for no reason told me that I am 'too young' to be married??
Was at a bus station the other day and got chatting to a seemingly nice older woman. After making small talk with me where I told her about my dh and my ds she announced that I am 'too young' to be married with a look of vague disgust!
Considering that this woman knew nothing more about me than my age and the fact that I'm married with a child, am I right to be annoyed about this and think she was being completely rude??

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 23-Sep-09 16:24:15

how rude and judgemental.

Don't give her a second thought.

diedandgonetodevon Wed 23-Sep-09 16:24:40

YANBU, very odd reaction IMO.

Knickers0nmahead Wed 23-Sep-09 16:24:40

Maybe she meant, 'look' too young to be married.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 16:26:02

Are you 15?

YummyorSlummy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:29:27

Lol no I'm not 15, I'm 21. I know it's younger than the average married woman but that shouldn't matter to a woman at a bus stop who doesn't even know me! It makes me sad that people who judge like me clearly think I should be shagging around and getting rat arsed every weekend rather than 'settling down' lol

YummyorSlummy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:30:17

Sorry meant to say 'judge people like me'!

bigchris Wed 23-Sep-09 16:36:30

she was just making conversation
everyone is so uptight these days

mmrsceptic Wed 23-Sep-09 16:38:21

calm down
what does it matter
at least you were having a chat
don't say "seemingly nice", she probably is nice, she's just annoyed you which doesn't mean she isn't nice

groundhogs Wed 23-Sep-09 16:44:13

Don't blame you at all for being miffed, it's like people feel they are entitled to comment and judge whatever they wish.

I wouldn't say everyone is uptight,more like everyone is so rude, it's not their business to pass comment or judgement. There seems to be no flaming manners taught these days! This kind of thing really pisses me off, and I'm 20yrs older than you, OP!

Ok so it's not common for young people to get married, but it's not like it's against the law.

Good luck to you both! Hope you have a FAB day and enjoy every second of it!

YummyorSlummy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:50:47

Thanks groundhog
It was more the way she said it (cliched I know) that annoyed me, and looked at me with disgust lol. I personally would never outright say that to someone so I was a little shocked- life will go on though!

Firawla Wed 23-Sep-09 17:36:22

oh just ignore her, her opinion is not that important. i dont think 21 is young to be married, its good to get married young i got married at 18, also look quite young for my age so sometimes when i used to say "my husband" people would still insist on referring to him as "your boyfriend" now that was annoying (insulting too although they prob didnt realise, but cos we are not allowed boyfriends in religion its as if they are accusing you of something!)
anyway whatever you do someone will always not like it, so i wouldnt give it any more thought. she's entitled to her own opinion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now