Talk

Advanced search

to actually know whats best for my child?

(14 Posts)
sparkle09 Wed 23-Sep-09 14:53:55

ive just been to birthday party and my DD 2.5 fell down the stairs!

someone else got to her before me and [icked her, fair enough i would have done the same, but this woman would not give me my child! angry i had to tell her rather stearnly that i wanted my own child!

so i then did the normal stuff,

check the bump,
soothe DD,
put a compress on bump

i could here the other mothers in the other room that i sould take DD to the hospital. they were saying this without asking if she was drowsy, sick or had been knocked out.
was starting to get more annoyed with the whispering so i phoned DP to get come pick us up.

then i went back downstairs and still without asking how DD was they started to tell me that i should take DD to the hospital. i was saying that there was no need to and they all then started saying to me that i really should and that you can never be too careful. fair enough but i was furious! i know my own child she is my 2nd DC and i practically brought up my younger sisters, i think i know what im doing!

anyway shes absolutly fine has been playing and laughing loads since we left there,

aibu to think that they should trust my jugdement and not make my feel that im an awful mother!!!!!

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 23-Sep-09 14:57:25

Sorry, but why did you leave the party? Your poor dd sad.

Why couldn't you just say "I'm absolutely sure she is fine, she hasn't lost consciousness, it would be a waste of the hospital's time to take her"?

AntdamnTheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 14:59:08

agree with bibbitybobbity

sad that you felt under pressure, so had to leave the party

randomtask Wed 23-Sep-09 15:01:29

If I was you, I'd be pleased that I was a calm Mum and not a panicker like the others.

If I was the NHS, I'd be very pleased you're not wasting my time and my money....

OrmIrian Wed 23-Sep-09 15:02:32

Of course you do. Good parenting is not the same as fussing over everything.

Hulababy Wed 23-Sep-09 15:04:15

Shame you felt so pressurised you had to leave the party

But you did right. You followed current guidelines and your DD was, and still is, okay.

I think you just have t stand up and speak out to the other mums and say that she is fine, and that you know what current guidelines are, etc.

katiestar Wed 23-Sep-09 15:04:40

No I wouldn't have taken her but remember (according to my St Johns ambulance First aid book which just happened to be lying on the table)that the symptoms might not start until much later and also check for the possibility of other injuries she might have sustained

FranSanDisco Wed 23-Sep-09 15:06:56

Just announce 'I am a trained First Aider' and wave them aside. Fools everyone wink

Mmmmcoffee Wed 23-Sep-09 15:39:47

I pity your poor local A&E if every mum at that party takes their children to hospital every time they get a bump on the head. I'd have been there every week cos my DD's head was like a magnet for hard surfaces.

piscesmoon Wed 23-Sep-09 15:54:57

I think that you need to lighten up a bit and not take it all so seriously-just disagree politely and carry on with the party.

sparkle09 Wed 23-Sep-09 15:59:54

thanks for your reassurance, it is really appreciated.

i left purely because i knew some symptoms could come later and also yes because they probably wouldnt have left me alone if i had stayed.

i was saying that if she developed symptoms later then i will deal with it then but i wasnt going to go to a&e just in case they do! they just werent listening,

she is well and truly fine now, x

CheerfulYank Wed 23-Sep-09 16:03:40

I wonder if they were concerned b/c of the whole Natasha Richardson thing. I used to be devil-may-care about bumps on the head, and now I'm a bit more cautious. I don't rush DS to the DR. or anything but I definitely watch him more closely.

How irritating, though. You know your own child!

sparkle09 Wed 23-Sep-09 16:08:22

cheerfulyank- to be honest these people wouldnt know who she was, in the nicest possible way there not very educated or worldly wise,

can be a problem at times.

mel1981 Thu 24-Sep-09 10:05:11

Ds1 was always banging his head, Though I must admit I did have to take him to hospital once but only cause there was alot of blood and it needed glueing!! While there we were given a leaflet saying that only take them to hospital if they fall unconious, become ill, or with young kids constant crying in the time immediately after or within the following 24 hours.
They should of trusted your judgement at the end of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now