Talk

Advanced search

To think it should not be too hard to find second hand 18-24 months baby clothes??

(42 Posts)
MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 13:28:55

Most of DD's clothes are second hand. I have bought from Gumtree, charity shops and other MNetters in the past but am finding it incredibly difficult to source right now. Ebay seems to be full of dresses and cutesy stuff that I cant be bothered with. I prefer trousers, cardis, dungarees and long sleeve tops, but its all T-shirts, shorts and horrible mini-adult stuff.

Surely there must be bags and bags of stuff just sitting in cupboards that could be making money?

Probably been done before, sorry. But we're into autumn now and I'm running out of clothes. Oh and I have PMT.

Notsochilledanymore Wed 23-Sep-09 13:33:51

NCT Nearly New Sales - tonnes of the stuff there. have just done DDs entire winter wardrobe from one. decent stuff as well, not mini-adult clothes.

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Wed 23-Sep-09 13:35:19

I was going to say the have, have just got lots of stuff ready to sell at one in a couple of weeks.

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 13:43:01

Thanks, but they would be quite difficult as I'd have to take DD, don't have a car and would prefer to buy a bundle and not have to risk sharp elbows. I would like to go at some point, though. smile

bodeniites Wed 23-Sep-09 13:47:04

what about your local Ad Trader paper usually loads in there in bunndles or bag also car boot sales if you have any near

geordieminx Wed 23-Sep-09 13:48:21

I have a loft full of stuff you could have had MO-I would have even brought it across for you, but its all boy stuff sad

geordieminx Wed 23-Sep-09 13:48:55

Leave it with me though - will ask about grin

oldraver Wed 23-Sep-09 13:49:04

One thing I noticed as DS1 got older was that I had less decent clothes to pass on as he used to wear them out, holes in knees etc. Baby clothes barely get pilled but older DC's sometimes wreck them

PeedOffWithNits Wed 23-Sep-09 13:49:32

put an ask on freecycle? I gave loads of DSs clothes away on there - some not quite good enough for even a charity shop to sell, but fine for a toddler in the garden etc!

Tidey Wed 23-Sep-09 13:50:03

I've always found loads of things on eBay (as well as in charity shops) for my DC, but you are right - lately it has all been going downhill. I blame the feedback changes and sellers taking the piss when it comes to postage. No-one can be bothered with it anymore, it's not worth the hassle. sad

Firawla Wed 23-Sep-09 13:53:46

i think itll be due to they outgrow their clothes slower by this age so more wear and tear, and seems to be quite a messy age not easy to keep clothes clean as they feed themselves, playing in park..etc
but im sure there are some around, my mum did get some boys clothes in this size and 2-3. try looking if there are any adverts in local paper maybe, thats where mum has got it from & where in good condition.

Notsochilledanymore Wed 23-Sep-09 13:54:00

A few ads in the For Sale section here....

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 13:54:06

Actually geordieminx I am not fussy - DD wears boy stuff too grin Quite a few of the dungarees and tops are boys. DD has quite dry skin so I prefer jersey or a softer material but as for gender, doesn't bother me at all grin
Thanks for all the suggestions tho, I just wanted someone to name a price and send me a bundle (disorganised Mum).
Peedoff - I have tried Freecycle many times but no luck, quite annoying as I usually pass on my stuff there!

geordieminx Wed 23-Sep-09 14:04:00

I shall have a root around!

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 23-Sep-09 14:21:23

Can't help I'm afraid as I have boys.

However at every car boot sale I go to there are tons and tons of childrens clothes, also in the charity shops.

However past the age of about 3 as children get more active (messy) and stay in the same size for longer, the clothes aren't often in any fit shape to be passed on.

Unlike little stuff that sometimes only gets one outing!

Oh and there is a dress agency near me that does children's as well. Masses of girl's stuff not much boys though sad. Perhaps if you look in the yellow pages for a local dress agency then ring up and ask if they do childrens as well as adults?

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 14:23:50

Thanks geordie, don't see why I couldn't try and meet you in Glasgow, would have to be when DD was at nursery tho!
Flibberty, I found that dress agencies tend to concentrate on designer stuff which is no good as too overpriced and girly grin. Thanks for suggestion tho.

spiralqueen Wed 23-Sep-09 14:24:10

Tried selling at a carboot but felt life was way too short to spend half a day trying to persuade people to part with 50p for an outfit that had cost £30 originally and been worn once/repeatedly being told it's lovely but I've got DS not DD/Don't you do bigger sizes/can I have 10 tops for £1 etc, etc.

It was so much hassle for very little reward that I now just give it to friends, pass it on to DDs nursery for their stock of messy play clothes or stick it straight in a charity bag.

I guess if other people have the same experience that may be why there's so little about.

bigstripeytiger Wed 23-Sep-09 14:25:55

Where are you based MadameOvary?

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 14:26:24

spiralqueen, if I had been one of your customers I would not have been such a cheapskate!
shock at 10 tops for a £1

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 14:26:54

bigstripeytiger I am in Edinburgh

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Wed 23-Sep-09 14:27:47

Tell me what you want.

I have in boxes upstairs fleeces, trousers long sleeve tops, tights socks etc. I have atomboy for a girl so not at all pink and girly.

Or I can root about a bit put a bundle together and send pictures.

bigstripeytiger Wed 23-Sep-09 14:30:35

My sister lives in Edinburgh, if you like I will package up some of my DDs outgrown things and give them to her (Im seeing her on friday), and then you could collect them from her flat? My DD is 2.5, so there should be some things that would be a good fit?

MadameOvary Wed 23-Sep-09 14:38:14

FiveGoMad - I'd like cosy trousers, fleeces, tights, socks, dungarees and a raincoat if poss!

big stripeytiger that would be brilliant! Happy to pay of course.

Many thanks to you both smile

bigstripeytiger Wed 23-Sep-09 14:47:59

I wouldnt want any money, its good to think that things would get some more use.
can you email me - the add is bigstripeytiger at live.co.uk (if you take out the spaces and put in the symbol). I will have a look tonight at the pile of outgrown clothes and let you know what there is.

spiralqueen Wed 23-Sep-09 14:51:23

MO - I was the same! I think car-booters would love me to be buying as I'd pay much higher prices than anyone else! Looks like you're doing well on finding some stuff though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now