Talk

Advanced search

to use my student status to get financial assistance?

(6 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Wed 23-Sep-09 12:25:36

after the umpteenth letter home from school asking for yet more cash i'm tempted to.
i do get a grant and we're not really struggling hugely. the DDs still have their music/ballet lessons and we do get occasional days out as a family so not totally poverty struck.
i've never pulled the 'I'm a student, give me a financial hand' card, i've just done extra (paid) shifts at work at weekends or whenever I can fit them in.
But, the school offers financial help for trips etc to those on low incomes (income support etc) and will take into account other circumstances.
The fact is DD wants to go on an exchange trip and I can't afford to send her. (likewise the skiing, history trips etc).
Shall I ask them? I feel a bit uncomfortable about it.

famishedass Wed 23-Sep-09 12:31:02

Essentially, you're asking other parents to pay for your daughters holiday when both your dcs already go to music lessons, ballet lessons, and have family days out so I'm not surprised you feel uncomfortable about asking shock

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 23-Sep-09 12:33:20

but if i was on income support i wouldn't have to ask.
i only pay for extra activities and days out if i work extra on top of full time study/student work.
and the financial fund is not from other parents it is from school hardship fund.

Alambil Wed 23-Sep-09 12:46:54

But kids with parents on IS don't get days out or ballet or dance lessons.....

are you getting all the student help you can? (loan / grant)

AMumInScotland Wed 23-Sep-09 12:48:59

If your circumstances mean you're on a low income, and they have a fund to help people on a low income, then you should apply under it if you want to. But being a student doesn't automatically mean that you're on a low income, so of course they wont automatically offer you help. Up to you if you want to ask for it, and think you may come under their criteria.

But lots of people who are working won't be able to afford a school trip either, or manage music and ballet lessons, so I think you have to consider whether it's justified.

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 23-Sep-09 16:52:09

still considering it.

i can afford extras, but only when I work an awful lot of extra hours on top of my studenting (for which my measly grant goes towards feeding us). This is why I have never asked for help before and why I would feel weird.

I also know that in a years time, when I am working again, I won't have access to financial help so the DDs won't be able to access extras at school.
If I didn't bother working or being a student I would have more financial help with everything from school uniform to reduced fees for extra lessons and school trips, even school meals would be provided. this is not what I was considering asking for.
I was considering asking for help from a fund which is available to anyone who can't afford to fund school extras, to help with something I can't afford.
What has put me off asking is people being a bit sneery and judgy about it (including myself).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now