Talk

Advanced search

to think proximity to pay day should make no difference to whether you can afford it?

(65 Posts)
hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 11:10:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mayorquimby Wed 23-Sep-09 11:43:13

why do you care? nd not being paid weekly is a nightmare.

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 11:45:50

YANBU

It's bonkers - either you can afford it or you can't. If it's budgetted for, then you can buy it when you like, surely?

And how is not being paid weekly a nightmare? Sorry if I'm being dense.

flowerybeanbag Wed 23-Sep-09 11:49:52

I would have thought being paid weekly would be a nightmare. Being paid monthly you can arrange for your mortgage/rent and other big bills to go out immediately you get paid so that you know how much you have left for the month and can budget accordingly.

YANBU, it shouldn't make any difference as to whether someone can afford X, however it will make a difference as to whether there is physically enough cash to pay for X. And if people can't budget and splash out at the beginning of the month on stuff they can't afford, then it's that behaviour which means they can't afford other stuff.

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 23-Sep-09 11:51:20

I used to work in a place where the factory workers were paid weekly and the admin staff monthly. We wanted to change this so all got paid monthly, but the weekly paid people did not want this. They had always been paid weekly and had weekly rather than monthly budgets. If you are on benefits like Income Support or Jobseekers' allowance these are paid weekly. People do their food shopping weekly (mostly), it is just what you ae used to.

I suppose there is a class issue too or at least snobbery about "the lower orders" not being able to manage on more than a weekly basis but I think YABU to insist that everyone does it like you do.

Budgeting should be taught at school (perhaps it is now, behind the times emoticon) as should many simple financial management principles (avoiding debt, or at least managing it; understanding things like APRs so you don't get ripped off)

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 23-Sep-09 11:51:58

YABU. We have switched from weekly to month;ly pay, and it has been awful! We do have to wait for payday to afford big things. Then we use what is left for the rest of the month.

I dont see how this would bother/annoy other people though?

Morloth Wed 23-Sep-09 11:52:05

Well I understand what you are saying, but having lived paycheque to paycheque (albeit in easier circumstances than most) you do kind of get a bit excited at the thought of finally having some money.

TheChablisChaChaCha Wed 23-Sep-09 11:53:08

YABU but depends on the context. I always run out of money before pay day but if you invited me out ahead of time for a date late in the month I'd try and keep some aside. If you asked me today to go out with you tomorrow night however, I'd have to say no. Also no matter how you try and budget, unexpected things come up. And it is hard to put money aside for a rainy day let alone short-notice fun if you don't get paid much.

southeastastra Wed 23-Sep-09 11:53:14

woo bet you're a joy to have around the office, brightening up the place

TellAnyone Wed 23-Sep-09 11:53:26

This really annoys me too.

DP is like this though, he'll say "Oh I really fancy a take-away, I think I'll get one when I get paid"

He wonders why I can get one whenever I want one, erm hello ... budget!? I don't spend all my money as soon as I get it. I always have money there if I need it, it's the only sensible way.

I dread to think what these "pay day people" would do in an emergency on a Monday afternoon.

PurpleEglu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:53:55

It amazes me how many people live like this. I worked in a restaurant many years ago and the staff were horrified when they realised we weren't getting our Christmas pay early as usual. None of them had any money. Some ended up getting advances from petty cash. I find it totally amazing that people can not learn to budget.

And just to be clear I do not have nor have UI ever had a highly paid job or large household income, yet I manage.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 11:56:54

PeedOffWithNits Wed 23-Sep-09 11:57:15

everyone's situation is individual and anyone who judges others without full access to their financial and personal info is def BU IMO

for example, plenty of people I know have NO credit card, NO relatives close by to borrow from in an emergency and NO savings.

So, what are they to do when an unexpected bill comes in for car repairs or something, or a letter from school about a trip etc - they can "afford" all these things over the course of a year, however, they may have a temporary problem getting the cash in a hurry - till pay day, then they know they will be OK again, just have to make a few economies to make up for the extra expenses of the previous month

if you think everyone has enough money left over at the end of a month to put by towards budgeting for emergency bills etc, you are mistaken!

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 11:57:57

Good name PE - we have a purple eglu grin

It's not snobbery at all - we have only in the last year or so had enough money to get by without my parents bailing us out for things for the children etc. We've been really, really poor at times, but never have we been able to afford things at one time of the month more than at another - either you can afford it or you can't.

Counting pennies is the only way to do it, when you have no money, and it's dangerous thinking to work with the attitude that you can afford stuff after payday, but not before.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 11:58:08

ermm surely if you budget even for a whole month. Once you're nearly the end of the month the budget you'd made for that month is used up. So no space for extra stuff.

If soething is happening just after the next pay day you can budget it in.

I budget - I can do monthly, 4 weekly, weekly or fortnightly depending on what my circumstnaces have been.

If I'm on a weekly budget (as at the moment) then there's no good the school asking me for money expecting it be available before the next weeks money is in. As I'll have budgetted the money for that current week already

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 11:59:05

Peedoff - I think the OP is referring to people who splash cash all over the place the day they get paid, and then have no money for anything else the rest of the month/week/whatever, not people who have emergencies they need to deal with.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 23-Sep-09 11:59:18

Peed - you put it so much better than me.

OrmIrian Wed 23-Sep-09 12:00:12

I guess it depends on whether you have an overdraft facility that doesn't cost a fortune. A week before pay day I can still afford food, bills etc because they are budgetted for but if I had to pay for something expensive and unexpected I might struggle if I didn't want to get overdrawn.

TheChablisChaChaCha Wed 23-Sep-09 12:02:00

As for weekly vs monthly - big bills are way easier if you get paid monthly but it can be hard to spread any disposable cash through the whole month not to blow all your pocket money in the first week. I don't like getting paid calendar monthly though - I wish it was every four weeks as sometimes there are five weekends in a month, iyswim.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 12:03:34

'Have you not even heard of a budget, people?'

'It's the whinging . . . that bugs me.'

FFS.

What the hell do you care?

Do people really waste their time taking stock of others like this (monitoring the 'discretionary outgoings' of a work colleague?

Are people really that fecking busy-body?

Is this all you've got worry about, or is there a Miss Popularity contest going on at work that you know you're going to bomb?

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 23-Sep-09 12:06:19

we get paid x a month, plan a weekly budget of y and know we will have z left over at the end of the month. Then something crops up that will cost A, which is more than our measly z leftover amount. How else can we pay for it than to wait for the next months pay, and readjust that months budget accordingly? hmm

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 12:11:35

MIFLAW Wed 23-Sep-09 12:11:38

"I dread to think what these "pay day people" would do in an emergency on a Monday afternoon."

Ask absolutely anyone but you for a sub, I expect.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Sep-09 12:14:24

'My marriage going down the toilet, for one.'

Well, in such a case, hope it doesn't turn you into one of those payday people hmm.

Be careful not to moan too much at work or take time off for it, someone might start a thread on the net about you.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 12:15:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now