Talk

Advanced search

To ban telly in the mornings?

(103 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Sep-09 07:53:56

Have finally had it after 5 years of reminding, cajoling, nagging, shouting, and sometimes screaming like a banshee to get DCs ready for school.

Since the beginning of term we have had telly off at 8am, still has not worked.

This week I have flipped and said it's not going on at all.

DD ok about it. DS2 to small to care. DS1 is a study of martyred injury and Kevin-like injustice. Needless to say it is DS1 who is the one who makes us all late for school.

DH thinks I am being OTT at banning TV entirely. He thinks its unfair as DS1 often gets up very early. I think one of the reason DS1 does get up so early is because he wants to watch the telly - then he is tired and I get attitude all day.

Opinions please.

SofaKingSpecial Wed 23-Sep-09 07:55:51

YANBU

We have it on, but DS knows if he prats about getting ready it goes straight off.

CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 07:55:57

Erm, you are the adult, they are the children. YOU decide if the telly goes on or not, surely.

In my house they are allowed to watch telly only when they are 100% ready, that's fed, brushed, clothed, shod ,with coat and bag next to them ready to go .

It seems to work and is a good incentive for them to get ready.

CharCharGabor Wed 23-Sep-09 07:56:56

YANBU, I think it's the right thing to do. If DS! needs to entertain himself then he can read or something. Has it helped at all so far?

chachachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 07:56:57

YANBU - I often want the telly off in the morning but am too lazy to implement it blush

We only have an hour max to get breakfast etc done before all being out the door.

GibbonInARibbon Wed 23-Sep-09 07:59:32

YANBU

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 23-Sep-09 08:00:44

If tv in the mornings doesn't work for you just keep up the ban.

In our house, we know tv in the mornings would be disastrous for getting ds1 (6) out of the door so it has never been an option grin - he is not a multitasker and would get too upset at it being turned off.

scaryteacher Wed 23-Sep-09 08:01:32

No TV in the morning here; and the iPod is about to be trodden on as well.

We have the morning down to a fine art, and have ds (13) up, dressed, fed, bag packed, lunch made and time for 10 minutes with a book if he's quick in about 40 minutes.

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Sep-09 08:02:29

Yes I know I am the adult Cybil, the AIBU is because the other adult in the house disagrees with me grin. I couldn't give a toss about the DCs disagreeing with me.

I have said he can have it on, as you suggest Cybil, if he has done everything and is sat there totally ready. Never gonna happen...

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 23-Sep-09 08:03:12

YANBU. If our telly went on, dd would never get to school. She watches it at the weekends in the morning though.

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 23-Sep-09 08:03:56

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Wed 23-Sep-09 08:04:33

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Wed 23-Sep-09 08:04:37

No TV in the mornings here either, we started this year with the new rule and it is MUCH easier to get them out of the house.

They now need to be out of the house by 7.45am so no time really. If they are ready earlier, they often go into the garden for a while.

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 23-Sep-09 08:05:45

this may be an assumption on my part but are you mainly in charge of getting ths DCs ready and out of the door? if so, would it be fun an interesting experiment to challenge your DH to get them ready and out of the door on time with *the8 tv on?? grin

MmeLindt Wed 23-Sep-09 08:05:47

Oh, and YANBU.

I think that TV is too much of a distraction before school, they are better behaved and more calm/settled when they have not watched TV.

CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 08:06:38

So it sounds like HE is the problem rather than the TV (ds, not dh)

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 23-Sep-09 08:07:43

excuse the typo - you can see what I was trying to do

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Sep-09 08:15:44

DH thinks I should get up earlier. I'm still BF DS2 and use him as my alarm clock - if he doesn't wake till 7.30 it makes me late so I get the point there. But if I am up at 6am like today, and the TV is on, it's exactly the same with regard to getting DS1 out of the door for school. DD is fine, totally organised, totally together.

Am going to set my alarm for 7am though from now on just to prove a point. Can't make the rest of the household suffer without suffering meself grin.

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Sep-09 08:17:33

W&P He does from time to time take them to school but I end up chiming in. But I just love it when I hear him bellow at them!! Ahahahahahaaaa! Mind you, his timekeeping is better than mine so his nagging reaches crisis point earlier and they get out the door earlier.

Dophus Wed 23-Sep-09 08:19:17

YANBU - it is the only telly rule that I have managed to stand by. No telly on school mornings.

It is DS2 (2) that has more of a problem as he bounces into our room at 5.30 most mornings demanding the telly. They'er allowed it on weekends only (when mummy can switch on and go back to bed

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Sep-09 08:37:01

Status report:

08:35 and DS1 is putting the finishing touches on getting ready.

< triumphant >

Stop press:

He
is
getting
his
SHOES
on
!
!
!

< faints >

grin

siouxsieandthebanshees Wed 23-Sep-09 08:49:08

In my house its BBC1 every morning until we go out the door. Mainly because it has the time showing and there isn't any breaks.

EasyEggs Wed 23-Sep-09 08:51:31

YANBU!!

I have just done the same thing and the difference is amazing grin

They'll soon get used to it!

TsarChasm Wed 23-Sep-09 08:54:58

Yanbu.

We don't have it on for ages then I might eventually relent. Ususally just to calm down a bit of squabbling for 5 minutes whilst I'm sorting out the packed lunches or whatever. But then in no time I'm being totally ignored because they are transfixed and have to be yelled at a zillion times to put shoes on.

So, revert no tv...back to squabbling again...aaaargh!!

Knickers0nmahead Wed 23-Sep-09 08:57:11

No tv on a morning here either and I dont have kids that go to school!

YANBU.

You should tell dh to get them to school himself for a week. He will agree with you before the week is up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now