Talk

Advanced search

To hope this woman doesn't have children or grandchildren

(6 Posts)
leftangle Tue 22-Sep-09 21:33:04

In a service station on sunday with dd, dp and bil, sunny day, all happy. Woman stopped to admire dd and asked the usual, what's her name, how old is she? she'll be teething soon then said "better make the most of it as there'll be nothing for her when she grows up" I think we all looked a bit confused and she elaborated "when she's my age, there will be nothing for her". Don't fully understand what she was getting at but think it was along the lines of country going to pot, no prospects or jobs. Left us all shock.
Just think that is such a sad, negative way to think and if said to random strangers I dread to think what she projects to her own family, if any.

GeekIsGood Tue 22-Sep-09 21:36:55

YABU - sounds like she was a bit disturbed rather than permanently negatively minded.

ineedalifelaundry Tue 22-Sep-09 21:38:53

Yanbu. I really hate that fatalistic attitude towards the future. Every generation since time began has had it's share of doom seers. We're still here so they've all been wrong so far.

groundhogs Tue 22-Sep-09 23:33:56

God, she sounds just like my Dad, perhaps it was him, but obviously in drag....

Some people really ARE that miserable...

cherryblossoms Tue 22-Sep-09 23:39:38

Being a cup is half full sort of girl, myself, I tend to counteract that kind of encounter with the happy reflection that I don't live in the middle ages. I'd never have coped with the medical side of things. Or the hygiene situation.

Mind you, sometimes, I do worry about the future offspring a bit - the ones who may be here when the sun goes out. Or the last pockets when the species goes extinct. Sigh.

midlandsmumof4 Wed 23-Sep-09 01:24:01

I wouldn't say it to a stranger but I know what she means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now